This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Bonsai

edited October 2008 in Everything Else
So, I went and plant a pine seed and it has already sprout. I am gonna post pictures to see how I either win or fail in breading a Bonsai tree :D

Comments

• edited October 2008
    I am gonna post pictures to see how I either win or fail in breading a Bonsai tree
    What kind of crazy person would cover a bonzai tree in bread crumbs?
    Doesn't it take years and years to raise a bonsai tree?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I am gonna post pictures to see how I either win or fail in breading a Bonsai tree
    What bread crumbs?
    Yeah it take years but this will help me to practice patience, also I bet this forum will stay alive for years to come :P
  • I am gonna post pictures to see how I either win or fail in breading a Bonsai tree
    What bread crumbs?
    Yeah it take years but this will help me to practice patience, also I bet this forum will stay alive for years to come :P
    You wrote breading, which is a verb meaning to cover in bread crumbs.
    You meant breeding.
    What bread crumbs?
    You wrote breading, which is a verb meaning to cover in bread crumbs.
    You meant breeding.
    Oops :P
  • edited October 2008
    So.. dead or forgotten by Christmas. Any takers?
    I'm kinda interested in the opposite of Bonzai, Hydroponics. I'm not sure what kind of plant I'd want to grow to mutant proportions, but it sounds like fun.
  • So.. dead or forgotten by Christmas. Any takers?
    Between Christmas and New Year.
  • Hydroponics
    totally cool. It would be neat if people raised more hydroponic produce on the roofs in the city.
  • edited October 2008
    So.. dead or forgotten by Christmas. Any takers?
    Between Christmas and New Year.
    Is a pine, it won't die of cold and is in my bedroom so I doubt I will forget of the little guy. I will post a pic later today to show how much it grew in a night. Guys you need to have more faith in your fellow human beings.
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • Guys you need to have more faith in your fellow human beings.
    *double checks his scanner* God damnit, the bastard did not calibrate it, did he.
  • Is a pine, it won't die of cold and is in my bedroom
    I was thinking more along the lines of death by neglect.
  • Is a pine, it won't die of cold and is in my bedroom
    I was thinking more along the lines of death by neglect.
    Well here is the picture I just took a couple of minutes ago :P
  • Doesn't look too healthy, a gonner for sure..
    We'll see how it looks in a few months.
  • Wha? How does it not look healthy Omnutia? @Erwin, how come it grew that much already? Won't it grow past bonsai size with that speed in no time?
  • Calm down dear, it's only a forum thread. It's really a very healthy looking tree.
  • Calm down dear, it's only a forum thread. It's really a very healthy looking tree.
    GAAAAAH! Stop calling me dear! I don't have a rack. D:
  • edited October 2008
    I really need to find a copy of that advert. Also, is "dear" gender specific where you are?
  • I really need to find a copy of that advert. Also, is "dear" gender specific where you are?
    Not really, but I've only seen it used among heterosexual couples. :p And yes, go get a copy of the advert. The little I've seen is awesome.
  • edited October 2008
    Wha? How does it not look healthy Omnutia? @Erwin, how come it grew that much already? Won't it grow past bonsai size with that speed in no time?
    I made it work over night, well until 12 a.m. and every once in a while I move the soil with a paper clip to increase the oxygen levels in the soil then it "rests". The growing part will really come when the leaves start to come out, right now it is just stem but it drinks water like there is no tomorrow. The next picture will come today at night. I am gonna try Tezuka's idea and put some music to see what happens.
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • Wow, looks like you are taking great care of it. What kind of pine is it?
  • edited October 2008
    Is a Jack Pine, looks like something is happening here :D
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • Another week :D
  • Nice dude.

_
    | |
    | |
    / |___
    ______/ ____)
    ____)
    ____)
    -------.______)
  • Hooray! Ganbatte, little tree!
  • Alright, I'm actually thinking of growing my own Bonsai, however I envision that it would be quite difficult to grow and care for it while I'm in my school apartment. I don't have any good outdoor environment to grow it anywhere :(
  • Alright, I'm actually thinking of growing my own Bonsai, however I envision that it would be quite difficult to grow and care for it while I'm in my school apartment. I don't have any good outdoor environment to grow it anywhere :(
    Do not worry, for the first months the Bonsai is just a small plant, you can grow it in your own room as long you have a window. Mine still growing, but be careful when oxygenating the soil since I just discovered that I pinched a root. For the first month I just leave it next to the window and watered almost everyday.
    You can use almost any tree seed. I think I will grow another one, just in case I might have damage the main apex of the root. I think I might get seeds for this kind of bonsai
    Is a Japanese Red Maple :D
  • I'm thinking of getting a Cotoneaster and going with the mame style. I'll probably just buy a sapling from a nursery instead of growing it from a seed. Hopefully I could get it to look something close to this:

or this:
  • watered almost everyday.
    From what I know about growing plants/trees/whatever, that's a bad idea. Water it when the soil gets dry, otherwise you run the risk of overwatering and fucking up your plant. On the other hand, if it gets insufficient water for a day, it won't die, it'll just droop a bit.
    TLDR: better to water less than more.
  • Well, the thing is that since it is inside my house and the the heater is always on. The soil dries very fast.
  • Anyways, how's it looking right now?

And how long does it take to get a bonsai to be as big as those in the pictures andrew posted?
  • And how long does it take to get a bonsai to be as big as those in the pictures andrew posted?
    Several years.