This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Combining genres of music.

edited October 2008 in Art!
I find any music that attempts to combine two completely different kinds of sounds extremely interesting. This is one of the best examples of something like this I have seen. The song combines a semi-typical Japanese-styple pop song with heavy metal. I love it.

Maximum the Hormone
11_-dsDkQyI

Does anyone know of other things that are like this?

Comments

• edited October 2008
    Girl Talk. I cannot stress enough how amazing his album Feed the Animals is, and it's free on his website! People, download it!

NSFW lyrics, by the way.

Edit: Also check out The Beat Konducta in India by Madlib which combines jazz, hip-hop, and traditional Indian music. Indian Hump.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • edited October 2008
    Legion of Doom

Post edited by Andrew on
  • Glamour for Better is one band I can think of...It's a decent mix of pop, rock, and techno. Watch this video and you'll get what I mean.

Rage Against the Machine is a decent mix of rap and rock.

Other than those two I can't really think of any.
  • edited October 2008
    I cannot stress enough how amazing his album Feed the Animals is,
    Often I think about how much he must have realized his own brilliance at certain points in the album because, every once in a while, he lingers ever so slightly on a certain mash-up as if to say "Yeah, that's right, I did in fact just combine that horrible lip gloss song with a Megadeth song and made it awesome."
    Legion of Doom
    I like that a lot.
    Glamour for Better
    They're not too shabby either. I really can't stand Rage Against the Machine though, even though I think their instrumentation is pretty good. And other bands have done it better, I think. Zebrahead, for example.

The Bloodhound Gang is decent too. NSFW Lyrics, but also hilarious.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I'm still waiting on any
    Melodic Progressive Blackened Deathgrindcore
    bands.
  • I think. Zebrahead, for example.
    They're more comparable to Linkin Park, IMO. Rage is all rap, no singing. Whereas LP and Zebrahead are a combo of singing and rapping.
  • edited October 2008
    They're more comparable to Linkin Park, IMO. Rage is all rap, no singing. Whereas LP and Zebrahead are a combo of singing and rapping.
    This is true.
    I'm still waiting on any
    Melodic Progressive Blackened Deathgrindcore
    bands.

You'll have to refer to TheWhaleShark for more, since I only have very loose ideas of what those terms actually mean.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited October 2008
    I always think of Rage as more of a mix of funk with old school (Black Sabbath) metal. The vocal style has roots in rap, but also in hardcore punk. The beats come more from funk than hip hop.

The Linkin Park/Jay Z remix album was a pretty decent mix of rap and hard rock, even if I do think Linkin Park is pretty bad (audio NSFW):

Not as good as the O.G. though, Anthrax and Public Enemy:
    Post edited by BadDeacon on
  • Surprised that this one wasn't posted right away. Several different styles incorporated into this one, the two main contrasting ones being operatic singing and rap.

"'Libera Me' From Hell" - Taku Iwasaki (performed by Tarantula from Hi-Timez and Yuri Kasahara)
  • I always think of Rage as more of a mix of funk with old school (Black Sabbath) metal. The vocal style has roots in rap, but also in hardcore punk. The beats come more from funk than hip hop.
    That's true, too. Zach did a hardcore act before being in Rage.
  • I always think of Rage as more of a mix of funk with old school (Black Sabbath) metal. The vocal style has roots in rap, but also in hardcore punk. The beats come more from funk than hip hop.
    That's true, too. Zach did a hardcore act before being in Rage.
    I think I have his old band's CD somewhere.

Just to be clear, my comments are in no way a condemnation of Rage. Their first album is, in my opinion, one of the best albums from the 90's.
  • Abe Vigoda: tropicalia meets noise-punk.

They're playing a free festival in LA with Mika Miko and Crystal Antlers tomorrow, so if you're in the area, check it out.
  • edited October 2008
    "Hajnal" by Venetian Snares. It combines 2 of my favorite things: breakbeats and Stravinsky.

Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Windupbird, that's pretty sweet stuff there dude.
  • "Hajnal" by Venetian Snares.
    Rossz csillag alatt született is a great album.
  • Windupbird, that's pretty sweet stuff there dude.
    "Hajnal" by Venetian Snares.
    Rossz csillag alatt született is a great album.
    Glad to know others like it too. Check out the album Bear Police mentioned for more like it. Snares does a lot of cool stuff, in a lot of varied styles.
  • Recently I've discovered strange "lounge" remakes of alternative & rap music - here's what sounds like Frank Sinatra covering Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit, but the largest proponent of this movement is a man called Richard Cheese. Here's an example of Richard Cheese performing a toe-tapping version of Snoop Doggy Dogg's seminal Gin & Juice.
  • This has to be my favourite lounge remake of anything:
  • Recently I've discovered strange "lounge" remakes of alternative & rap music - here's what sounds likeFrank Sinatra covering Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit, but the largest proponent of this movement is a man called Richard Cheese. Here's an example of Richard Cheeseperforming a toe-tapping versionof Snoop Doggy Dogg's seminal Gin & Juice.
    Ugh, I hate those Richard Cheese songs. More like Richard Cheesy...
  • I agree - they're not great, I just pointed out that they exist. I'll stick to listening to chin-stroking ambient music!
  • I just had an awesome moment. When spotting the topic from the forum index, as I maneuvered the mouse on to the link and clicked, the words Maximum The Hormone came to mind and almost made it out of my mouth in a under-the-breath whisper.
    Of course a second later I instantly recognized the youtube thumbnail. Made my night :)
  • Prog. Rock + Yodeling = Focus.

• edited December 2008
    That's pretty bitchin', but his mouth doesn't seem to match the vocals. Is he looping some of the yodels?

Also, the band Gang Gang Dance did a collaboration with grime rapper Tinchy Stryder. Gang Gang Dance is pretty hard to describe. They make some sort of cross between neo-tribal music influenced by African and Egyptian music and electronic dance music. Princes.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • edited December 2008
    Is he looping some of the yodels?
    I think it might just be a syncing issue with the video.

[Edit]
    neo-tribal music influenced by African and Egyptian music and electronic dance music
    Note to others: If this doesn't sound like something you'd like, it isn't.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Techno + Opera

Most of you have seen this probably