This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Would Anyone Like to be on a Podcast?

edited October 2008 in Everything Else
I was thinking of starting a movie podcast, because I don't already have enough on my plate, and was wondering if anyone would like to be either a guest or a co-host. Any takers?

Comments

• edited October 2008
    Movies? OH! OH BOY!
    Oh...Oh no...I can't, I shouldn't, I mustn't. I am way too busy to commit to something. But still...awesome sauce. I'd like to be a guest, occasionally, if possible. I like movies! I went to movie school, even!
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • I don't know how well I'd do, but it'd be fun. Although people might find the Australian accent jarring. XD
  • I don't know how well I'd do, but it'd be fun. Although people might find the Australian accent jarring. XD
    I don't think it will be much of a problem.
    But still...awesome sauce. I'd like to be a guest, occasionally, if possible. I like movies! I went to movie school, even!
    You would definitely be contacted when Ratatouille or any other Pixar movie were to be reviewed.
  • I'm cool with it. Just hit me up on the email and say the movie.
  • I'd love to be a guest some time. I've been interested in starting/being on a podcast ever since I started listening to them.
  • What is it about?
  • What is it about?
    movie podcast
  • I'd be interested in participating as well, as a guest or a co-host!
  • You are going to need a black guy on the podcast (lest you be accused of racism). I humbly accept the position.
  • I'll fill in for nights when you need a guest :)
  • What kind of movies did you have in mind?
  • edited October 2008
    I would like to be on a podcast, but I do not believe I have the requisite time, experience or ability to think on my feet. Also, I don't watch that many movies.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • edited October 2008
    I would love to participate as a guest or co-host, if you'd have me. I'm always up for a movie, even though I've been slack on it lately because I've been a little busy.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited October 2008
    I'd be potentially interested in this too. I've seen movies, but probably not as many as would be needed to warrant being a regular on a movie-themed podcast. I'd be glad to do what I can.
    Post edited by Blattus on
  • I would like to be on a podcast, but I do not believe I have the requisite time, experience or inability to think on my feet.
    Requisite inability to think on your feet? :D
  • I could come on as a guest if you like.
  • I think you're going to have no shortage of people on your 'cast.
    inability to think on my feet
    I was wondering about this as well.
  • What kind of movies did you have in mind?
    Good and bad movies, movies that hosts disagree on, and really any movie that the hosts would want to talk about.
    I was wondering about this as well.
    This is why I didn't want to do the podcast solo, with co-hosts you have someone to play off of as so that you don't just suddenly have nothing to talk about.

I was thinking about the podcast being called "The Defenders of the Cineplex" and the format would be an intro (Tonight, we will be defending/defending you from...), opening bits, any news that we find worthwhile, main bit, closing bit.
  • With this many interested people, you could probably do a roundtable discussion. Cool name, too.
  • For anyone who wants to be a host, we should talk to each other over Skype and decide when to record the podcast. I can record on Mondays, Wednesdays, and the weekends.
  • edited October 2008
    I'm free pretty often, but the time difference may make it difficult.
    Post edited by Tyashki on
  • Are you reviewing classic movies or stuff that has come out recently?
  • Yeah, I am a little confused on who your target audience is.
    There are quite a few movies podcasts, How is yours going to be different?
    Will it be more factual, historic, and intellectual... like that of a professional AKA: someone went to school for the production of movies, or is it going to be a comedy based podcast?

More or less is it AWO or Dave and Joel type formatting?
  • edited October 2008
    Are you reviewing classic movies or stuff that has come out recently?
    Anything we want to review, we will review.
    More or less is it AWO or Dave and Joel type formatting?
    I would hope that it would be as funny as Dave and Joel, but alas, I do not have too much faith in my comedic style. I think it will be comedy based, though.
    There are quite a few movies podcasts, How is yours going to be different?
    I actually wanted to start this because there are a lot of movie podcasts, but a lot of the movies I would want them to review have not, or possibly will not, be reviewed. I also think that having a round-table discussion will help set this podcast apart from others.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • I listen to a lot of podcasts, and the reasons why I listen to each are varied, but it often comes down to the character of the presenter or the dynamic between the presenters. I like movies and movie podcasts, and while I've listened to quite a few different shows, the only two I've stuck with are Kermode vs Mayo and Filmspotting. Movies You Should See was really good, but since Mike left the appeal is almost completely gone. It isn't that he was my favourite cast member or that I don't like those who still take part, is that there was a good balance between different viewpoints and experiences and knowledge. Filmspotting changed hosts, but a lot of thought went into the replacement and the production quality is as high as ever. Aim for a good chemistry, be engaging, have a good format, if you build it, they will come.
  • Have you listened to the Greatest Movie EVER! Podcast? I quite enjoy that one, and there is always a good dynamic between Paul Chapman and his co-hosts.
  • Aim for a good chemistry, be engaging, have a good format, if you build it, they will come.
    A lot of that comes with practise, and there's no better time to start than now.
  • I second the vote for a roundtable, especially because that allows for so much more than a regular old movie review thing because more people always means more ideas and branching out and stuff.
  • If you do a review of the new batman movie, I can easly disagree with anyone who likes it. God that movie was such a poor movie...
    but really I probably would not be a good choice since I don't watch too many movies. But I can do random appearances on movies that I have oppinions on.
  • Aim for a good chemistry, be engaging, have a good format, if you build it, they will come.
    A lot of that comes with practise, and there's no better time to start than now.
    True, but all of the good examples so far come with practice at good chemistry in other areas. For example, Rym and Scott lived together for years. The Movies You Should See crowd all studied and lived together. Kermode and Mayo have been working together for well over a decade. Adam and Matty from Filmspotting have a long history too.

My point is to find someone with whom you already have a good chemistry, then go from there. If you find someone online and record your first ever conversation, the chances are your relationship and chemistry WON'T be as strong as any other two people on any other podcast I like who have chatted for years. My advice is to put a lot of effort into finding the right person or people long before ever hitting record. Spend a few weeks getting to know each other chatting on skype, know what the other person likes, what buttons to press to wind them up, what topics are off limits, who is the leader and who is the follower, who is going to do the links between the sections and when they begin the link the other person should shut up, and many other things besides.

Work this out with you co-host before releasing your first podcast to the world and the audience reaction, I guarantee this 100%, will be much, much stronger. I say this from experience, both as an avid podcast consumer, and as a podcaster myself. I'm just working on episode 29 of one podcast and 62 of my other podcast. The podcast in which I have a co-host is the longest running one, going almost two years now, and it keeps getting downloaded because of the chemistry between me and my girlfriend. The first show we did together, we sat on our couch and, because Pola was a bit nervous, we left the TV on mute to take her mind off things a bit. As we started, a program about designer dildos and vibrators came on, and it really lightened the mood and made things really fun. Pretty much since that first joint show, every time I record a podcast without her I get 4 or 5 emails complaining.