This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Bicycle advice

edited October 2008 in Everything Else
I'm thinking about getting a bicycle for getting back and forth to campus. I want to have one that I can use during the winter, and I'm not sure if there is a specific kind of bike that can do that better then another.

So I wanted to see if anyone had any advice/suggestions for a bike to get, since the internet wasn't very helpful on the subject.

Spelling changed in the title to advice.

Comments

• I'm not sure if there is a specific kind of bike that can do that better then another.
    You need a bicycle with 2 wheels, a steer, paddles, a chain, a frame, front and rear light, a dynamo, oh and a seat. (j/k) You don't really need anything fancy to use a bike in the winter. Unless you got crazy snow-ins over there where you life, then I don't know, never had crazy snow-ins and a need to use my bicycle at that moment.
  • If you're going to be biking in snow and rain, just get a shit-kicker.
    Get a helmet.
    Make sure your bike isn't too small for you.
    More gears does not necessarily mean a better, or faster, bike.
  • Yeah, I'm planning on going to a bike store and getting something used. I was thinking about getting a moped, but I decided that the exercise is probably a good thing. Plus don't have to pay for gas.
  • edited October 2008
    Depends on your winter, you should consider investing in new tires (if you'll buy used bikes).
    if it's rains a lot, make sure the wheels have proper shields:

it prevents you from spraying over others, and keeps your pants dry.
    Post edited by Adelbert on
  • edited October 2008
    Don't forget to get a studded tire for snow made the mistake of using regular tire when I rode mine to work in highschool.
    Post edited by Alan on
  • Studded tires are teh win. They may cost more than the bike itself (in my case), but they are by all means worth it if you have to bike in snow. Just don't forget to take them off after the end of winter, or you'll wear them out.