This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Installing things in Ubuntu?

edited October 2008 in Everything Else
Now that I'm stuck using Ubuntu, (I really like it actually) I decided to install AIM. Once I downloaded it, I read the instructions for installation. All I have to say is wtf?
http://www.aim.com/get_aim/linux/latest_linux.adp#install

I used the all other OS'es download and have no idea how to follow any of the instructions. How do I log in as root? What is cd/? And where is this command line of which they are speaking?

Comments

• Use Pidgin, install it through Synaptic Package Manager. It's better, faster, harder, stronger.

Also, you should NEVER log in as root. If the instructions actually say that, the writer has no idea what the hell he's talking about. The command sudo is all you should ever need when you have to do things as root.
  • Those instructions are ancient. I don't believe they have updated aim for linux since I started using linux, and that was back in 2002.
  • Click on Applications > Internet > Pidgin. And then add your AIM connection to that. :)

If you want to install other programs use System > (second option from the top) > Package Manager. You'll have to put in your password, but then you can browse through all of the software in your Distro's repository, with descriptions and nice search function. The terminal that you mentioned is also hidden in the Applications menu. I have it bound to Alt+D. To fit with the Ctrl+D to close it.
  • Wow, that made things a lot easier. And yes, these instructions are from before 2000. The Linux AIM version is 1.5 (they are on 7 now).
  • edited October 2008
    To install any other program that you know the name of: Terminal>sudo apt-get install appname
    No need for package manager to update its lists.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on