This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Your "Just in Case" kits

13»

Comments

• Some people may feel that mace is a girlie way to defend off an attacker. I'd suggest a collapsing baton. I think it's still illegal in NY. You get a lot of extra reach over a knife, 26 inches to 12 inches, and they are far less lethal but still effective. Also I think they are kind of BA but that's just me liking Lost ^_^
    I will also note that if you get hit with one, especially somewhere close to the bone (Ie, Arms, shins, ribs) holymotherfuckingchrist does it hurt.
  • As for knife crime, I once had a knife pulled on me by someone wanting my wallet/etc. It was disappointingly small, so I simply said "I'm going to turn around and walk away. If you want to take it further, you can." So I did, and the guy didn't follow. If he had I'm not sure what I would have done. Me having a knife or any other weapon would have been pretty pointless and probably dangerous.
    That takes a lot of balls. Say he ran after you and stabbed you. Small knife your not, it wouldn't have been pretty...
    It's also illegal to carry a concealed weapon like that in most places.
    Yeah, and in Ohio (probably other states, too, but I don't know for sure), a knife is illegal if the blade is longer than 3ish inches, I believe.
  • The safest thing to do is to grab a weapon, turn off any lights in the room you are in, hide somewhere that they can't see you and you can see them when/if they enter,Call Police, and wait for them to enter. If they do...Look at who they are, and if you don't know them and they are a threat, attack.
    This reminds me of the only good bit of the movie, Mr. Woodcock. Most of the movie was pure dreck, but that one bit was pretty damn good.
  • When I mentioned the pocket knife/box cutter and lighter, I meant for more utilitarian use. It's always useful to have a small blade on hand, and if other technology fails I can rely on the most basic of tools, fire and a wedge, to survive.

The large knife was just a precaution, because I didn't know how the neighbourhood between University of Rochester and RIT was like. It turns out it isn't so bad. I was just worried because there were two deadly shootings in my neighbourhood the month I moved in. ^_^;

The sword next to my bed is also a worst-case-scenario thing. I have a large amount of very expensive equipment in my room, and my door doesn't have a lock on it. I am a light sleeper. As for training, I've been practicing martial arts for as long as I can remember, so I'm passable with weapons. I understand if anyone comes in with a gun my chances of survival drop to near-zero (depending on our proximity), but with anything else I might be fine. I really hope nothing like this ever has to happen.
  • This may be because carrying a fire arm on to school grounds is a HUGE no-no. Even if a police officer, who is not on duty, wants to enter school grounds with a gun, he must get permission first. If he is not using it to teach or something, it stays home. (In Mass at least.)
    The answer is somewhat bizarre. Our college campus isn't a designated school zone believe it or not. *shrugs*
  • The answer is somewhat bizarre. Our college campus isn't a designated school zone believe it or not.
    It's still very likely illegal to carry a concealed weapon like that.
  • The answer is somewhat bizarre. Our college campus isn't a designated school zone believe it or not.
    It's still very likely illegal to carry a concealed weapon like that.
    No, he asked the police department and everything. They told him not to take it in the buildings just because of the potential issues it could cause.
  • This is a basic run down of my Con "Just in case" kit:

-Hard candy, either Jolly Ranchers or Worther's
    -Protein bar, Cliff or Odwalla
    -Trail mix
    -Water bottle w/ some sort of on the go packets.
    -Red Bull, I keep a few with me and the rest back at the motel. When ever I go back, I switch them up for cold ones.
    -Cash