This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The big Headphones VS. Earbuds debate!

Comments

• Headphones, sunglasses, umbrellas, etc. There are two acceptable strategies.

Buy the really expensive awesome one, try not to lose it, use it forever.

Buy the cheap crappy one that gets the job done. Don't worry if it breaks or you lose it often, just get new cheap ones all the time.
  • edited April 2012
    With headphones, though, there's a pretty big difference in quality between the cheap ones and the more expensive ones. However, if you use them a lot while walking around, even the more expensive headphones will not last anywhere near "forever".
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I've tried fairly expensive ($60+) and cheap ($5-$15) ear buds. I'd much rather use expensive ones as the sound quality and comfort increase is significant. However, the expensive buds only last slightly longer as I use them very often. I know you can try to fix them by reconnecting the wire but I have never tried. Is the sound quality still the same or should I just buy new pairs?
  • So I got these great bluetooth earbuds to use for listening with my phone. The sound quality is great so I wanted to also use it with my pc. I bought a bluetooth transmitter for it and linked them together. Some reason the sound comes out terrible, like listening through a can. It's not the earbuds since they sound fine from the phone.

Is it a hardware issue? I bought the cheapest transmitter I could find, I thought only the quality of the receiver was what mattered. There aren't many choices for transmitters on Amazon, if the transmitter is the problem can someone link me a good one?

Or could it be a software issue? Do I need specific bluetooth music drivers or software?
  • iruul said:

I've tried fairly expensive ($60+) and cheap ($5-$15) ear buds. I'd much rather use expensive ones as the sound quality and comfort increase is significant. However, the expensive buds only last slightly longer as I use them very often. I know you can try to fix them by reconnecting the wire but I have never tried. Is the sound quality still the same or should I just buy new pairs?

Look for companies that have good warranty. I know Bose has a great one, free replacements during the warranty period, and once it's expired they replace your cans for the newest version at a greatly reduce price. When my first gen over the ear cans died, Bose offered me their second gen over the ears for $60, which is fantastic.

Granted I used Audio Technica's ATH-50 for in home listening and their clip on headphones for outside listening. I can't use in ear's with my ears. :<
  • iruul said:

So I got these great bluetooth earbuds to use for listening with my phone. The sound quality is great so I wanted to also use it with my pc. I bought a bluetooth transmitter for it and linked them together. Some reason the sound comes out terrible, like listening through a can. It's not the earbuds since they sound fine from the phone.

Is it a hardware issue? I bought the cheapest transmitter I could find, I thought only the quality of the receiver was what mattered. There aren't many choices for transmitters on Amazon, if the transmitter is the problem can someone link me a good one?

Or could it be a software issue? Do I need specific bluetooth music drivers or software?

Earbuds are trash because they cannot generate any base and such a large percentage of the sound gets leaked.

Bluetooth may or may not be an issue I don't know what bluetooth protocol is being used.

However the most likely issue is that the audio out port on your PC is probably not shielded which is why you may be hearing multiple artefacts. Many good sound cards provide shielded and powered ports.
  • I go the cheap, wired earbuds route, and the Wirecutter is my guide.

The current top under $30 earbuds are ok. I rather like their previous top choice, Monoprice 8320, which are less bassy than the Panasonic ones, although I needed to swap out the tips for a better fit and sound isolation.
  • edited March 2014
    I buy five dollar earbuds because I tend to carry them in my pocket and manage to break the wires within a few months to a year of use.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • I'm going to count up all my broken apple earbuds and earpods. I break them pretty often, and they don't always get replaced for free at the Apple store.
  • I tend to fall into the "Buy the expensive thing and use it forever" camp. I'm actually in the market for best Bluetooth capable noise canceling wireless headset I can find. It gets damned loud in our plant...

Any input on the expensive front?
  • Dromaro said:

I tend to fall into the "Buy the expensive thing and use it forever" camp. I'm actually in the market for best Bluetooth capable noise canceling wireless headset I can find. It gets damned loud in our plant...

Yeah, the Jaybird X is the one I got. They are great. The best feature is that the charge lasts 8 hours compared to 3-4 for others of the same size.
  • That's with Bluetooth and noise cancellation going the entire time?
  • edited March 2014
    I think I mistakenly deleted the line where I recommended canal phones over ear buds, they are great for public transport, reducing noise and slowing the loss of hearing.

I use and like the Etymotic range (I've been using the ER-4B for over 4 years and my ER-6i still function fine). Many people don't like them though as they look to be invasive (but aren't).
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • Dromaro said:

That's with Bluetooth and noise cancellation going the entire time?

Yeah, that is with constant listening. I've measured mine at around 7.5 hours so fairly accurate.

• iruul said:

Dromaro said:

I tend to fall into the "Buy the expensive thing and use it forever" camp. I'm actually in the market for best Bluetooth capable noise canceling wireless headset I can find. It gets damned loud in our plant...

Yeah, the Jaybird X is the one I got. They are great. The best feature is that the charge lasts 8 hours compared to 3-4 for others of the same size.
    I think I will buy these. I could really use them right now. I'm processing a FOIA request and I'm constantly getting up from my desk to the printer. (-___-;;)
  • Yeah. These headphones are pretty damn nice. Saw a few videos on their website. I like how you can also add clips to adjust for a tight fit when you wear them over your ear for hard workouts.

The sound quality is better than my $30 Sony Earbuds. The secure fit ear cushions aren't bad either. Also the carrying case is sturdy to hold them along with micro USB charger. And just thinking how they pretty much won't ever really tangle is a plus. I'm very happy with this purchase.
  • Depends on how much I want to indicate to someone my displeasure at conversation. Earbuds have the benefit of the doubt; headphones should be a clear "fuck you I don't wanna talk."
  • See, I just find earbuds uncomfortable to use (though maybe it's cause I haven't tried any good ones yet). I much prefer headphones strictly for comfort factor.
  • edited April 2014
    Earbuds are a totally different thing to canalphones/IEMs.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Earbuds are a totally different thing to canalphones/IEMs.

Could you explain or link to an explanation? Is it just where the speaker opens with respect to ear depth?
  • Earbuds are just shitty little headphones that hang out next to or at the edge of your ear. IEMs form an airtight seal within your ear and block external sound.
  • okeefe said:

Earbuds are a totally different thing to canalphones/IEMs.

Could you explain or link to an explanation? Is it just where the speaker opens with respect to ear depth?
    Earbuds just rest in your outer ear and blast sound into the hole, like the default Apple ones. That is different from the etymotics I have where you shove it down your ear canal and it creates a tight seal.
  • Earbuds just rest in your outer ear and blast sound into the hole, like the default Apple ones. That is different from the etymotics I have where you shove it down your ear canal and it creates a tight seal.

Something like your Etymotics are a product I could get behind. I hate products like the Apple earbuds because I can never get them to stay put and always seem to need to turn the volume way up to hear it just because I can never get them lined up quite right. However, I have some basic Etymotics plugs (not phones) and they're actually fairly comfy.
  • I pulled the trigger on the Jaybirds. I am hopeful they work well to cancel out the noise of the workplace despite their lack of active noise cancellation.
  • edited May 2014
    Daikun said:
    That was also an April fools joke five weeks ago.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • I might as well ask people more well read than I. I work at an industry with quite a lot of rather loud background noise and occasionally really loud noises. I've got a earbuds that are rather shitty in most regards, but they do isolate enough sound (so I'm currently not in immediate danger), but I'd rather invest in something better.

So what I've been looking around a bit, but I'm no expert, and have been looking at things like Etymotic hf2 or Shure SE315 and a few others, but audio really isn't my are of expertise and supreme noise protection seems to be the last thing things are rated after (not to mention that the companies' own specs seem... dodgy) and noise protection is the main thing I'm looking for here.

So instead of making a slightly educated guess when it comes to a product that I'll be having for some time and a somewhat expensive one I'd appreciate some more educated advice.
  • edited May 2014
    I got HF2s last week! Remember that HF2 = Android, HF3 = Apple, HF5 = Just headphones.
    Get them, the isolation is excellent, audio quality is the best you can get for 320kbps MP3s. I find them comfortable (They take a day or two to soften a bit.). Bass is good but isn't increased like most headphones.

I'm hoping that the kevlar reinforced wires will mean longer life than my ER6is.

The MC2s are also fine, if audio quality isn't as much of a priority.

And, at the $20 range you can look at Plugfones or similar.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Also good: HiFiMAN RE-400.
  • Does anyone have any recommendations on gaming headsets?

I'm looking to get one since I really don't like the headset I have for my telecom work.