This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Bear Police and Sail made music.

edited October 2008 in Art!
Some of you may already know that Bear Police and I have been making music and we just completed a new song.

Click here to listen or download

Ameen plays drums and I play bass and guitar. Any comments or criticism appreciated!

Also, become our friend on Myspace.

Comments

• Not bad background music.
    It's probably just me but, does it sound slightly out of sync?
  • It's probably just me but, does it sound slightly out of sync?
    That's the problem with making music over the internet.
  • It starts off out of sync, but it seems to almost correct itself after a while.
  • It starts off out of sync, but it seems to almost correct itself after a while.
    The problem is that once something goes out of sync, you're always looking for it.
  • edited October 2008
    It's probably just me but, does it sound slightly out of sync?
    The drums and the bass are in sync, it's just the guitar at the beginning. You can hear me get on rhythm around :35. There are also a few bad chords and notes on the guitar track. I know all this already, and it's not really the sort of criticism I'm looking for. Keep in mind I am, first and foremost, a bass player and have only played guitar for a very short amount of time.

[Edit]
    This too. The lack of visual cues make it harder to get in rhythm and make sure you're staying on rhythm.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • It's probably just me but, does it sound slightly out of sync?
    The drums and the bass are in sync, it's just the guitar at the beginning. You can hear me get on rhythm around :35. There are also a few bad chords and notes on the guitar track. I know all this already, and it's not really the sort of criticism I'm looking for. Keep in mind I am, first and foremost, a bass player and have only played guitar for a very short amount of time.

[Edit]
    This too. The lack of visual cues make it harder to get in rhythm and make sure you're staying on rhythm.
    You should try recording with teleconference. My brother did this with some of his friends when they went to college and it worked pretty well.
  • edited October 2008
    It wasn't quite my cup of tea, but you guys are pretty talented. Keep it up!

It did sound like it got out of rhythm a few times later in the song; I second the teleconference idea to help you both play together.

EDIT: OK, let's try some more useful feedback. The guitar part was the weakest link here; it feels out of place with the rest of the song. This is especially noticeable in the transition that occurs around 1:01, when the main riff switches from the guitar to the bass. The bass part and the drum part are both great; the guitar part almost sounds like you put it there because you thought it should be there.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I think the mix is a little bit too much on the drums. I'm not really into this kind of music, but I'm sure most people would like it.
  • The bass part and the drum part are both great; the guitar part almost sounds like you put it there because you thought it should be there.
    Yes, but a lot of bands treat the bass part like this. We could try a guitarless song, it's worked before and it'll allow Bear Police to use his sampling skills to fill it out where it needs to be filled out.
    You should try recording with teleconference
    Wouldn't we have the same issue because of the tiny delay of sound on both ends?
    I think the mix is a little bit too much on the drums.
    You mean you think that they're too loud?
  • This too. The lack of visual cues make it harder to get in rhythm and make sure you're staying on rhythm.
    Might be easier to record separately, to a click track. I know you can't really play off each other that way, but it's probably still the best solution.
  • This too. The lack of visual cues make it harder to get in rhythm and make sure you're staying on rhythm.
    Might be easier to record separately, to a click track. I know you can't really play off each other that way, but it's probably still the best solution.
    Ah, that's a good idea. Get a metronome speed to work off of.
  • As for guitarless bands, I point to Ruins as an example of a pure drum and bass experimental duo. It can definitely work; I'd say you should both stick to your strongest suits first, and then come up with additions after that. So, nail down the drum and bass parts, then come up with a guitar part to add in afterwards.
  • Ruins
    Wow, I didn't take you for a Ruins fan. Yet you don't like Lightning Bolt...
  • Ruins
    Link me? This name isn't exactly searchable.
  • Link me? This name isn't exactly searchable.

Wikipedia.
  • So, Ruins is Lightning Bolt with less noise and hilarious high-pitched vocals?
  • Ruins
    I wouldn't say that I'm a Ruins "fan." I like a handful of things I've heard from them; the stuff that I do like is more listenable than Lightning Bolt.

I do listen to more than just death metal. :p Would it also be surprising to know that I really like the band Subtle and, for that matter, all of the artists on anticon. records?
  • edited October 2008
    I do listen to more than just death metal.
    We know. You also listen to thrash, symphonic metal, and melodic progressive blackened deathgrindcore =)

I'm a big fan of Subtle as well.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • all of the artists on anticon. records?
    Does this mean you like Why, Tobacco, and cLOUDDEAD?
  • edited October 2008
    all of the artists on anticon. records?
    Does this mean you like Why, Tobacco, and cLOUDDEAD?
    To an extent. Actually, I haven't heard Tobacco. I like some Why? and cLOUDDEAD, though. Sometimes it gets too weird, but I'm generally a fan of experimental/avant-garde stuff. Just not a fan of noise.

Sole and Subtle are probably my favorite anticon artists.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Actually, I haven't heard Tobacco.
    Bear Police linked this to me earlier today.
  • edited October 2008
    Actually, I haven't heard Tobacco.
    He's one of the guys in Black Moth Super Rainbow. His first solo album, Fucked Up Friends, just came out and it's mad good. His myspace. Listen to Dirt. It has Aesop Rock rapping on it.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • Actually, I haven't heard Tobacco.
    He's one of the guys inBlack Moth Super Rainbow. His first solo album,Fucked Up Friends, just came out and it's mad good.His myspace. Listen to Dirt. It has Aesop Rock rapping on it.
    Ooh, I like Aesop Rock.

OK, listening to Dirt. It's a little weird, but interesting. Don't know how much I'd listen to this. I like the combination of the weird music backing Aesop; the music by itself is too trippy for me.
  • Ooh, I like Aesop Rock.

OK, listening to Dirt. It's a little weird, but interesting. Don't know how much I'd listen to this. I like the combination of the weird music backing Aesop; the music by itself is too trippy for me.
    You'll probably like The Hood Internet's remix album better, then. It's got a ton of EL-P's buddies, Aesop included, rapping over more tracks.
  • Like everyone else said, the instruments were a bit out of sync, and the guitar was definitely the weakest pert of the song. I might just need to listen a again, but the drumming felt a little unsteady in and of itself. But I'm nitpicking. I did like the song overall, and If you work out the kinks I'd probably listen to this a lot more.