This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Computer Names '08

2»

Comments

• If I don't have a name for my electronics, they usually get named "The Wings-Insertelectronichere". For instance, my old GameBoy is the "Wings-boy".

The majority of my electronics have names, however.

Sebastian- My PC
    The ModPod (V1 and V2) - My ipod
    Mainman- My mother's PC
    Francene- My dad's laptop
    SloppyMc Printer- Old printer (My new printer, for now, Is the Wings-printer... anybody have a name for it?)
    The Bringer of Life- Coffee Maker!

My friend has some infamous names for her computers... I'll be speaking for her since she's still "Too Lazy" to join.

Ra-top- Her Vista Laptop
    BBarker- Her old PC
    eStalin- Her (for some reason, communist) Apple Desktop
  • I've just always named my computers with my real name.
  • I've just always named my computers with my real name.
    What do you do when you have more than one computer at the same time?
  • edited October 2008
    I've just always named my computers with my real name.
    What do you do when you have more than one computer at the same time?
    Then I'll name it something like "Logan's Laptop" or "Logan's iMac" or "Logan's Vista/Ubuntu Desktop". I've never actually thought about giving my computers cute names for some reason.
    Post edited by Loganator456 on
  • Then I'll name it something like "Logan's Laptop" or "Logan's iMac" or "Logan's Vista/Ubuntu Desktop".
    Those aren't valid DNS names. I'm asking what DNS names you use. ;^)
  • edited October 2008
    Then I'll name it something like "Logan's Laptop" or "Logan's iMac" or "Logan's Vista/Ubuntu Desktop".
    LOL my bad. I'm not sure actually, because my Dad is the computer's admin, and since we have different accounts for every member of the family I don't know really for sure. My laptop is my name, but it's never connected to the internet. I probably don't know(and it's probably right in my face) because I don't know much about DNS or anything. I need to go back and listen to that episode. :D
    Post edited by Loganator456 on
  • Then I'll name it something like "Logan's Laptop" or "Logan's iMac" or "Logan's Vista/Ubuntu Desktop".
    I think most people just shove those together then, like VhdLaptop. It's just habit to do that, because I never owned my own computer until a year ago or so. Now you guys have made me really want to name my main machine, but I have no idea what name would fit it. I'll repost when I figure it out.
  • If we're going to get into naming non-computer/console peripherals, then I have to throw in my external UPS monitor on Golath that I named 'Juan'. The story behind that is that I set up Goliath's UPS back in 2003 in anticipation of a hurricane that was being forecasted to knock power out for a few hours overnight. I wanted Goliath and the rest of the network equipment to power down gracefully, so I named the monitor after the hurricane. Little did I know that the UPS monitor actually has its own internal battery too, and an external speaker to scream when the UPS isn't responding on the COM port.

Juan hits. Our basement is all but destroyed by a flood. Mercifully, the power has been out for hours and the UPS was depleted before the water got in, so nothing shorted out. However, the water remained at a little higher than waist level for three days, and being on a septic system, no one dared wade into our new pool. The UPS monitor screamed constantly for every second of those three days.
  • To me, naming my computer is like naming my hammer or screwdriver.
    Without a name, how do you connect to it over the network? ;^)
    Like I said, I name them Kate's Laptop and Kate's iPod, etc.
  • I name my computers after magical effects, and separate generations of hardware by the universe that the effects are drawn from.

PC: Marble Phantasm
    Laptop: Obsidian Butterfly (named after the nifty Death of Obsidian Butterflies, not the Anite Blake novel damn her.
    iPhone: Flight of Separation
  • Mine is simply called b2, I believe. Quite unoriginal.
  • Like I said, I name them Kate's Laptop and Kate's iPod, etc.
    Those aren't DNS names. You can do basic Windows and iTunes sharing with those kinds of names, but nothing else would work. ^_~
  • edited October 2008
    I named my computer "Orangenkorb", which is German for basket of oranges.
    I named my iPod "Orangentüte", which is German for bag of oranges.
    Pretty uncreative so far, huh? ^^
    My old computer is called Balthazar (it has Ubuntu installed), and I wanted to call my other computers Caspar and Melchior, like the MAGI computer system in NGE. But that never came to be, for I still don't have enough machines im working on simultaneously, that are worthy of naming.

On the small LAN-parties I organize with my friends it's often very interesting to look at the names of their computers, even though many of them really aren't geeks or nerds, and they don't put that much 'love' into their PCs. "Andreas' PC" is definately NOT an awesome name. ^^
    Post edited by oranges, om nom nom on
  • Like I said, I name them Kate's Laptop and Kate's iPod, etc.
    Those aren't DNS names. You can do basic Windows and iTunes sharing with those kinds of names, but nothing else would work. ^_~
    I don't do anything else. Remember, we are a performing, literary, and fine art household. We aren't so much a computer science, IT, tech household. What else would I ever really want or need?
  • That's no reason why you can't bestow names upon your techmology.
  • That's no reason why you can't bestow names upon your technology.
    It's not that I can't - I just have never had a need to. It would be like naming my hammer or screwdriver. It isn't really a tool that is close to my heart or heavily involved in my main interest, so the need/desire to personalize it or imbue it with a persona just never occurred. I am not saying it is bad to name computers, iPods, etc. I just never have. The closest I ever came was naming my car, and that felt childish, so I don't even refer to it with a name anymore.
  • My laptop: Truesilver
    My desktop: Dark Iron
  • edited October 2008
    No, not technology. Techmology. Like Ali G. says it.

It's like naming your toys, I guess.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Wait, you get Ali-G in America?
  • edited October 2008
    Yeah, we even had Ali G in Australia, And there was the series, Ali g in the USA.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Yeah, we even had Ali G in Australia, And there was the series, Ali g in the USA.
    Restecp.
  • Yeah, we even had Ali G in Australia, And there was the series, Ali g in the USA.
    Restecp.
    Ahem. Respek.
  • Ahem. Respek.
    Two words: Keep It Real