This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

New MP3 players

edited July 2006 in Technology
I'm probably the last person on the planet who does not own an mp3 player. My commute is all of 5 mintues. When I'm not at work, I'm being nagged by the wife, kids or a combination of the two. Therefore, owning one never made a whole lot of sense. I think, however, that I'm finally ready to take the plunge.

Two players have caught my eye. The first is the next-gen IPod. I like the idea of a metal case. I also really like ITunes for podcast downloading. New IPod article.

The other player is the Micro$oft Zune. As much as I hate the idea of supporting Bill Gates' vision of global domination, the machine looks very appealing. I like the large size screen, and I especially like wifi aspect. I am totally bummed that the next-gen IPods will apparently not have wifi.

So a couple of questions:
A) If I listen to predominately podcasts, should I really stick to ITunes? Will ITunes work with players other than IPods? Is there an alternative to ITunes that will conveniently download my favorite podcasts?
B) I know this is speculation... but with the Zune being rumored to be wifi capable, do you think that it will work with my wireless network at home? I don't care at all about being able to download music from a subscription service using a coffee house's wireless network. What I really want to do is to have my computer automatically download podcasts and then automatically forward them to my mp3 player via my home wireless network. Do you think that this even has a chance of being possible?

Comments

• My MP3 player is my PC. Does that count?
  • A) If I listen to predominately podcasts, should I really stick to ITunes? Will ITunes work with players other than IPods? Is there an alternative to ITunes that will conveniently download my favorite podcasts?
    This all depends on how much money you are willing to spend and how much effort you are willing to go through. iTunes will only work with iPods. With the iTunes/iPod combination the podcasts in iTunes will be automatically syncrhonized with the podcasts on the iPod perfectly. You can even do advanced things like listen on the PC, syncrhonize and then continue listening on the iPod from where you left off.

If you get a non-iPod digital audio player(DAP) you will probably have to stop using iTunes. Sure, you can still listen to podcasts with iTunes, but it won't be easy to put those podcasts on your DAP. Instead, you can use something like Juice Receiver to download your podcasts. Of course, it won't be seamless. AFAIK, Juice will not automatically syncrhonize your podcasts to your DAP. You will either have to manually manage which podcasts you put on your player, or you will have to use another piece of software to manage it for you. iTunes/iPod is the only system I know of which handles the entire process, end to end. Your choice is either to spend a lot of money to get iTunes/iPod or save your money and deal with a less-slick solution.
    B) I know this is speculation... but with the Zune being rumored to be wifi capable, do you think that it will work with my wireless network at home? I don't care at all about being able to download music from a subscription service using a coffee house's wireless network. What I really want to do is to have my computer automatically download podcasts and then automatically forward them to my mp3 player via my home wireless network. Do you think that this even has a chance of being possible?
    If a device hasn't been formally announced I like to pretend that it doesn't exist. However, because I learned about this on the recently revived Engadget podcast I will comment. If the Zune is as-described then it probably won't work exactly as you think it will. Yes, it will very likely work with your home network. No, it won't syncrhonize with your PC. If I understand correctly it will function similarly to the PSP. That means it downloads the podcasts on its own from the Internet, no PC-tethering required.

Imagine a portable device that connects to the Internet and actually runs iTunes. The zune will be like that, only it will run some Windows software. Personally, I'm going to stick with my nano as long as possible. I'll buy a new iPod either when my nano dies or when Apple makes an iPod that actually has iTunes on it. The ability to update podcasts whenever there is wireless access is priceles.

I think the only other thing I can tell you is that you should be careful not to base your purchasing decisions on rumored products.
  • First things first: When dealing with apple rumors one always has to realize that no one can tell you the specs of a product before it's announced with 100% credibility. Now TS has a better track record than a lot of other sites out there but don't put all your hopes and dreams into the aluminium iPod notion.

Now, the players. I've never used anything but the iTunes/iPod combination. Part of this is because I use Macs to begin with but it's also that I've never been dissatisfied enough to go looking for alternatives. It's a good system and with a handfull of minor quips (if your iPod is plugged in, and you get new tracks, they aren't uploaded automatically) I have no beef. If you're particularly attached to iTunes but don't want an iPod there are options out there. None are supported by Apple. I've heard that some can be rather kludgy at times. I've never bothered with any of them so can't really advise beyond that.
    As far as I know, there's no technical reason that a sort of "push" system of uploading new podcasts to a Zune handheld wouldn't be possible. Apple's concerns over battery life in the face of wireless capabilities are real, though, and I can't image a Zune would last very long after you left it in your backpack, not plugged in, and being constantly updated with new data to transfer. Wireless doesn't hold much sway for me, if I'm around long enough for data to be exchanged I may as well top off the battery while I'm at it, but MS seems to be taking a different course with this player so who knows what they'll do.

My best advice to you would be to avoid the next big thing in buying any sort of consumer electronics. The next best, uber phone/iPod/notebook/spaceship is always around the corner and if you put off your purchase until you get it you'll never buy anything. If you're honestly in the market for a music player today, look at the market today and buy what is best for you. Even if it's an iPod Mini, because they're so darn durable.
  • My best advice to you would be to avoid the next big thing in buying any sort of consumer electronics. The next best, uber phone/iPod/notebook/spaceship is always around the corner and if you put off your purchase until you get it you'll never buy anything. If you're honestly in the market for a music player today, look at the market today and buy what is best for you. Even if it's aniPod Mini, because they're so darn durable.
    I actually still have my old iPod mini. I loved that freakin' thing. The battery is on its last legs of course, and the screen is broken because I semi-purposefully stepped on it. Other than that, it still works perfectly. If anyone can find an otherwised dead iPod mini with a good screen and battery I would definitely be interested in acquiring it or selling you the one I've got. Definitely would love to combine two dead iPods to make one working frankenPod.
  • Failing that the folks at iPod ResQ helped me with my old 2nd gen after a surge from my car charger fried it. I bet they could hook you up with the requisite parts. I myself have a 30 gig 5th Gen (with video) with all my music and a green mini for podcasts. I'll be getting a nano with my macbook purchase, though, so I'll end up using that for 'casts and passing my mini down to my sister.

And on a semi-related note: more rumors/info on Zune over at Engadget. Specifically:
    ... the 30GB Zune will have the "same pricing, look and feel as the 60GB iPod," which was $399 the last time we checked. That, of course, is the same price as an Xbox 360 Platinum, which might put the hurt on the cashflow of their younger target demographic.
    It'll also be XBox Live compatible, support sharing music locally (kindof), and come in three colors.
  • edited July 2006
    The more I read about it, the more I like the iPod. I have no desire whatsoever for the XBox tie-in. Since I want it solely for podcasts, iTunes with an iPod seems the way to go. I really like the Nano, but I'm still having a hard time dealing with all of the scratching. The metal case really is appealing to me, but not enough to wait until January.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Failing that the folks atiPod ResQhelped me with my old 2nd gen after a surge from my car charger fried it. I bet they could hook you up with the requisite parts. I myself have a 30 gig 5th Gen (with video) with all my music and a green mini for podcasts. I'll be getting a nano with my macbook purchase, though, so I'll end up using that for 'casts and passing my mini down to my sister.

And on a semi-related note: more rumors/info on Zune over at Engadget. Specifically:... the 30GB Zune will have the "same pricing, look and feel as the 60GB iPod," which was $399 the last time we checked. That, of course, is the same price as an Xbox 360 Platinum, which might put the hurt on the cashflow of their younger target demographic.
    It'll also be XBox Live compatible, support sharing music locally (kindof), and come in three colors.iPod ResQ. Good idea. Too bad it's $92 + $54 to repair the mini. Totally not worth it.
  • The scratching is a problem on the nano's, but I'm not sure of all of the reasons (lousy plastic, different use style, whatever). You will need to take precautions to protect a nano, but if you do, it's a very good little player.
  • The metal case really is appealing to me, but not enough to wait until January.
    Then if I were you I'd go for a refurbished mini. While not as jaw-droppingly small and light as a nano they easily fit into a pocket (I keep mine in my jeans' 5th pocket). All colors of the 4 and 6 gig (149 & 199 respectively) versions are available on apple's site, just look for the "Great Deal" image on the right.
  • iPod ResQ. Good idea. Too bad it's $92 + $54 to repair the mini. Totally not worth it.
    Not that it'll influence your decision at all, but the prices you quoted both include shipping, both services together would be cheaper overall. Or your could forgo the screen replacement and just get a brand new battery for $24. Much more reasonable (depending on the actual condition of your screen).
  • I suggest that you get a ipod only if you are going to listen to your music from one computer only. If you are going to be hooking up your ipod on your comp at work and then on your comp at home, you are going to run into some problems (i.e. it's not going to work). You can hack it with some programs out there on the net like Ipod Rip.

If the above situation seems to be too much of a pain, then I suggest getting an ipod shuffle for your podcasts and a DAP for the rest of your music. I say this because you can get a shuffle for free from promotions that citibank does. You will also not have to deal with DRM.
  • edited July 2006
    I just wanted to comment about using 3rd party players with iTunes. I have no experience with it myself (I have a 4th gen ipod 20GB), but I did see this program kicking around called SyncTunes. Looks like as long as your 3rd party MP3 player can be accessed by your mac as just a usb drive, the program will automate copying selected playlists/podcasts out of iTunes, even converting file types if necessary.
    Post edited by Jameskun on