This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fall of Britan

RymRym
edited November 2008 in Role Playing Games
For my next (small) Burning Wheel game, I'm running with the following:

The World: Historical Earth
The Setting: The British Isles
The Scope: Months to Years

The Hook:
With troubles abroad and barbarians at all fronts, Rome is on the verge of abandoning the island province in an effort to consolidate what remains of the Empire. Britain, itself beset at by Scots to the north, Irish to the west, Jutland raiders to the east, and unrest from within, is on the verge of crisis. The burgeoning urban culture is now faced with the very real possiblity of losing the security it had once been affored by the imperial garrisons. Will Rome truly abandon its island? Will the legions take to ship? Will peace be made with the barbarians to the north? Will civilization collapse? Or, will a new power to rival Rome itself rise from the chaos?

The Players:
I expect the players to be local tribal chiefs, Legion officers, administrative officials, advisors, aristocrats, etc... I want influential people with strong convictions and conflicted desires.

This will be a shortish game (5 or so sessions at most I imagine). I expect to use Burning Wheel abstraction to its fullest, to the point that I imagine the game will span a good decade all told. I'm using it partly to test many of the elements I eventually plan to use in a major campaign based loosely on the Prince of Nothing books.

What do you guys think of this sort of game?

Comments

• Not that I've played very much Burning Wheel, but It sounds like an absolutely badass setup for a longer game. As it is, I could see it being pretty cool over 5 sessions.
  • It sounds like a solid concept and a good way to get into GMing a campaign rather than one-offs.
  • HEY! What happened to PoN setting?
  • HEY! What happened to PoN setting?
    I've decided that I'm only going to run local games for the Beaconites until Alex's Ferath game is finished. We really can't handle more than one group-wide campaign at one time.
  • Oh mans. That campaign sounds pretty awesome. I wish I could come down and join. Nobody in the local game shops here know about Burning Wheel. At all.

I am a sad panda.
  • Nobody in the local game shops here know about Burning Wheel. At all.
    You could tell them.
  • I'm still a BW newbie myself, so I don't think I could host a convincing campaign. I had trouble with the Fight! mechanics when I did a Sword.
  • I had trouble with the Fight! mechanics when I did a Sword.
    Then just use Bloody Versus, it works for me in games where combat isn't as important.
  • I'm still a BW newbie myself, so I don't think I could host a convincing campaign. I had trouble with the Fight! mechanics when I did a Sword.
    So did I. Just learn it all together. Or run it till you know the rules.
  • I don't the the show Code Geass has anything to do with it.
  • What ever happened to that NYC mini geek board game "convention" idea?
  • Still in the works.