This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pencil, Pencil! Animate Away!

edited November 2008 in Everything Else
Seriously, Open Source is getting awesome for artists.

Pencil

For all of you who want to try 2D digital animation but don't feel like shelling out the dough for flash. Make some stuff!

Comments

• That's pretty rad. I'll have to try that out when I get some time.

There was a period when I was younger that I wanted to be an animator. I never really got around to doing much animation, though -- not even the flipbook stuff.
  • I've been using pencil for a few weeks in my video productions class. It seems like a pretty good program but it doesn't appear to have a free-form select tool. My animation looked like it was made in ms paint but I haven't had much experence animating and I don't have a tablet or anything to draw with. Other than that it is pretty cool.
  • Emily, thank you. Thank you from the bottom of my jaded, cynical, adolescent heart.
  • edited November 2008
    Huzzah! I now need not hold back due to flash's extreme learning curve. Many thanks Emily!
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Alright! Now I can finally animate easily! Except for the fact that I have no drawing skill. >.>
    It makes me jealous to see how awesome some of the things that people make on these forums look, while I can't even draw a line. My lines look like sine curves.
  • Going to try some Caramelldansen sketches to get started.
  • Except for the fact that I have no drawing skill. It makes me jealous to see how awesome some of the things that people make on these forums look, while I can't even draw a line. My lines look like sine curves.
    I have decent drawing skills. You can find other ways to be awesome in other artistic mediums. I'm currently doing something like that and will soon be posting pictures of my new geeky hobby. ^_^
  • My animation of a flower is coming along nicely, and I'm having fun while drawing the same images over and over again. Maybe that Katamari music has something to do with it.
  • *flops upon* : D ONE DAY I WILL DRAW AGAIN THANKS TO THIS.

Or.. not?

Anyways, awesome looking program. x3 I'm always trying trials but I never like 'em.
  • edited November 2008
    I tried using this program, and discovered that I can't. This is not a problem with the program itself, but more that what precious little drawing skills I have disintegrate when I use a tablet. I think it's that I can't directly look at where the pen is and see what I'm drawing. I would probably have to use one of those screen/tablet combos to be able to produce anything but squiggles.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Don't despair. It takes practice to not look at your hand. I spent many years using a tablet before I became competent.
  • Thanks for posting this, Emily! I will definitely mess around with it.

As for you, Sonic, I agree with Emi - the more you practice using the tablet, the better you'll get. If it's frustrating practicing on your own, grab a friend and try out Open Canvas. It's a fun little drawing program with a networking feature that allows you to sketch together with friends. I do this once or twice a week with some online buddies and it's helped my tablet skills a ton.
  • I dug out my tablet for the first time in ages to make sure it works fine with my macbook... and I've lost the stylus! It's rather annoying but could be a good thing. I can see myself wasting a lot of time with a program like this.
  • It's fun making crude drawings of some blob getting cut in half with a chainsaw. Well, that's all I can do with my drawing ability anyway.
  • Thanks for posting this, Emily! I will definitely mess around with it.

As for you, Sonic, I agree with Emi - the more you practice using the tablet, the better you'll get. If it's frustrating practicing on your own, grab a friend and try outOpen Canvas.It's a fun little drawing program with a networking feature that allows you to sketch together with friends. I do this once or twice a week with some online buddies and it's helped my tablet skills a ton.
    Yeah, practice makes perfect, I know. I'll start practicing as soon as I get my own tablet instead of borrowing my dads bamboo.