This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

x2x or Scott is Stupid

edited November 2008 in Technology
So x2x is something I've known about for many many years. It's a program that lets you control multiple X displays with one set of inputs.

Let's say you have a Linux machine under your desk. You have two monitors with two video cards. On one monitor you want to use Gnome, and on the other monitor, you want to use KDE. All you have to do is setup two X servers, one on :0, and the other on :1. Then you use x2x -east or -west depending on which monitor is on the right or left. Now even though you have two separate X servers, you just move the mouse back and forth as if it's one computer using multiple monitors that happen to have separate desktops.

The same things works if you have multiple boxes. Pretend you have three Linux machines under your desk. One of them is a server. On your desk you have three monitors, one for each. Well, there's no need to also have three keyboards and three mice. You don't even need a KVM switch. Just use x2x, and the one keyboard and one mouse can go between all three as if you had one computer with three monitors.

If this intrigues you, there is another program out there called Synergy. It does basically the same thing, but it works for multiple OSes, and not just X servers.

Like I said, I've known about x2x for many years. I've just never thought to use it. Today I realized I was stupid. At work I have a Linux desktop, and I bring my Linux laptop to work and put it next to me. Of course, I've been killing my hands switching to the touchpad and the laptop keyboard. Not necessary! Today I started using x2x. I now use the same mouse and Happy Hacking Keyboard to control my work desktop and personal laptop while at my desk. It's amazing.

Sometimes people go looking for solutions when they don't have problems. i.e: Any cool iPhone apps? Sometimes people have problems, and go looking for the solution in all the wrong places. And sometimes people have a problem, but don't even realize it until the perfect solution just magically appears.

I think an episode on X is in order, but much research is needed.

Comments

• I've always wanted to know more about X, since I only have a very basic and limited grasp on what it actually is. Do an episode on X! Or I could just check out what it is on wikipedia.
  • I've always wanted to know more about X, since I only have a very basic and limited grasp on what it actually is. Do an episode on X! Or I could just check out what it is on wikipedia.
    Maybe we will do an episode on X, though it really does require visual demonstrations.
  • edited November 2008
    Personally I use Synergy. Not sure how it stacks up against x2x. Been using Synergy for a couple of years at this point. Open Source and works on Mac, Windows and Linux.

EDIT: WOW... completely missed the Synergy mention in Scott's post. DOH.
    Post edited by Tasel on
  • edited November 2008
    Personally I useSynergy. Not sure how it stacks up against x2x. Been using Synergy for a couple of years at this point. Open Source and works on Mac, Windows and Linux.
    Yeah, way to read my post.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Personally I useSynergy. Not sure how it stacks up against x2x. Been using Synergy for a couple of years at this point. Open Source and works on Mac, Windows and Linux.

EDIT: WOW... completely missed the Synergy mention in Scott's post. DOH.
    Curses! No Vista support. :(
  • Time from reading this post to having Synergy installed and working on my desktop Linux box and MacBook: 5 minutes (would have been 4, but had to punch a hole in the firewall).

Thanks Scott!