This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Arrested Development!

Comments

• No touching!
  • edited October 2011
    Can we replace Chuck Tesla with Gene Parmesan?

Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • Can we replace Chuck Tesla with Gene Parmesa
    Nope, Chuck Testa.
  • edited January 2012
    I've been watching this show again. Fucking hysterical. While I was reading through each of your single line quotes, I could vividly picture their moments of origin in my mind.

That just shows how memorable this show was (at least to me).
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • We convinced Omar on Thursday to watch it for the first time. I eagerly await his fandom.
  • There are very few shows where exposure to the first episode can nearly instantly convert a person to the fandom. Archer, Arrested Development, and Breaking Bad are the only ones that really come to mind for me right now, but AD is definitely in the lead. I have never met a person who saw the first episode of Arrested Development and didn't go on to watch the entire series and become one of those people who will stealthily drop references to it in everyday conversation.

• It walked on my pillow!
  • edited January 2012
    Actually, does Archer share any writers or creative staff with Arrested Development? I'm curious because Jeffrey Tambor and Jessica Walter are involved with both, Mallory and Lucille are basically the same character (Archer:Mallory::Buster:Lucille), and the phrasing jokes that are made in Archer are remarkably similar to the ones made with Tobias.

EDIT: A quick glance at Wikipedia reveals that Adam Reed is heavily inspired by AD for Archer, which is why so much of the AD cast appears there. Cool!
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited January 2012
    I watched this show in its entirety last quarter just so I could say I did. I still think it's only ok.

Post edited by Sail on
  • sail y u do dis. ur breakin my <3, bb.
  • sail y u do dis. ur breakin my <3, bb.</p>
    And the worst part is? He thinks he's passing.
  • Netflix, keep doing what you do.

• It's coming May 26th!

It's the best birthday present ever!
  • Firefly is next.
  • I don't think that's the case. Joss Whedon is too busy working on Marvel crap and Nathan Fillion is busy with Castle. I don't think they would have the time.

If there were an animated series, that would be cool
  • No it wouldn't. People think they want more Firefly, but they don't. Nothing they put out will live up to the years of unfulfilled want and the amount that the fanbase has built it up. At best, it could be Team Fortress 2: an all-around fun experience that will always feel like it never lived up to its own hype. You'll know it, and while you may accept it - it'll bother you.

Firefly will never return, and it never should.

Though I could see a totally different show, with a totally different tone and totally different characters, set in the Alliance core worlds. We've seen space cowboys - how about something else in the 'Verse?
  • People think they want more Firefly, but they don't.
  • You say this, but if Arrested Development is good...You will also want more Firefly :-p
  • edited April 2013
    Even accounting for apples and oranges, Arrested Development was better than Firefly by far. I expect that new AD won't be as good as the original - but it may be good enough that I won't care about the decline. Firefly would only lead to disappointment.

Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • The Firefly ship has sailed. It can't come back. Even if it somehow did, fans would end up disappointed.
  • The Firefly ship has sailed. It can't come back. Even if it somehow did, fans would end up disappointed.
    True, but we can ask for new a character driven sci-fi series with good dialog and a used future aesthetic.

• Also the comics have answered some questions or have scratched that itch for Firefly fans. The last one about Shepherd Book was ok. The previous two, I thought, were good.
    True, but we can ask for new a character driven sci-fi series with good dialog and a used future aesthetic.

I enjoy the "used future" aesthetic, but honestly, I'm craving some "sleek and polished" sci-fi. The opening scenes of Prometheus made me realize how rare it is to see that these days.

I enjoy the "used future" aesthetic, but honestly, I'm craving some "sleek and polished" sci-fi. The opening scenes of Prometheus made me realize how rare it is to see that these days.
    I'm willing to watch pretty much any sci-fi aesthetic at the moment. With Star Trek, Star Gate and Babylon 5 dead, there's precious little Science Fiction on the little screen right now.

• Well, if you're willing to wait until late 2014, Netflix just announced that the creators of the Matrix and Babylon 5 are working together to make an exclusive sci-fi series.

Wired has a pretty decent first look.
  • oh yes, I am, as you say, excite, for the new JMS and Wachowski love child.

Just thinking about it has me grinning from ear to ear!
  • I forgot it was no longer the Wachowski brothers
  • edited May 2013
    Post edited by Rochelle on