This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Looking at Masters Degrees.

edited November 2008 in Everything Else
I am starting to look at getting a masters degree. I currently Have a BS in Technology Education. One of my top choices is trying to get into a Masters in Electrical or Computer Engineering. I have some engineering credits and will have to negotiate to have the school clasify some undergrad courses as grad courses to get my employer to pay for it. If I can not manage that I am looking into getting a Masters in IT Management from Franklin Pierce University in New Hampshire. Do you think this program is worth anything?

Comments

• I have one important piece of advice. If a school won't give you a substantial scholarship for your graduate studies, then the degree is very likely not worth pursuing.
  • My dad had his Electrical Engineering masters paid for by his company, Kodak. If you work for a good company, you may have a shot.
  • My union provides tuition reimbursement for state schools. I've been thinking about getting an M.P.H off and on for a while now. We'll see what happens.
  • I am deciding between an M.A.T. and an M.Ed.
  • I have one important piece of advice. If a school won't give you a substantial scholarship for your graduate studies, then the degree is very likely not worth pursuing.
    I'm evidence to the contrary if you're speaking generally about Masters'.
  • I'm evidence to the contrary if you're speaking generally about Masters'.
    Well, technology masters degrees. At RIT, for example, if the school wasn't willing to fund your graduate studies in some capacity, they were not-so-subtly hinting that you'd be better served by just entering the workforce.
  • I am starting to look at getting a masters degree. I currently Have a BS in Technology Education. One of my top choices is trying to get into a Masters in Electrical or Computer Engineering. I have some engineering credits and will have to negotiate to have the school clasify some undergrad courses as grad courses to get my employer to pay for it. If I can not manage that I am looking into getting aMasters in IT Managementfrom Franklin Pierce University in New Hampshire. Do you think this program is worth anything?
    I've thought about things like this too. I'm interested in a masters in fluid dynamics or thermodynamics given my interest in cars and engines. This is pretty far from my major in Information Sciences and Technology. Can someone actually get a masters in something not even remotely related to their major?
  • I am currently a teacher. My district has tuition reimbursement for graduate studies. In addition I will also get a bump in pay scale as I acquire masters credits. I will definitely be looking for funding from the college I attend as well, but I will be getting a masters from somewhere eventually. I was more interested in thoughts on that program or other suggestions for higher levels of technology degrees. I want to teach for a while more, but I don't think I will do it for the rest of my life; maybe I will go back to teaching near the end of my working life.