This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Trying to network an old Windows 95-era Clue game

edited November 2008 in Video Games
I'm having a bit of an issue getting a network game of Clue working. It's from the Windows 95 days, but it works on both my Vista machine and the XP machine I'm trying to connect with. When choosing the TCP/IP LAN option, the person hosting the game can set everything up, but the person trying to join cannot even see the hosted game. The game, unfortunately, has no options anywhere to type in an IP address for the host or anything, it just seems to use whatever network settings were programmed in and lets the user see nothing under the hood.

I wonder if the problem lies with the fact that both machines connect to the internet via a wireless router (in this case a public one that I have no configuration access to) in a way that perhaps the game cannot recognize. I don't have much hope that anyone here has dealt with this specific game before and Google provides nothing useful, but does anyone know any sort of solution that might create a network configuration that would be recognizable by a game from this time?

Comments

• Wow, I have that game too! But networking it? I don't know. I'll do some digging.
  • I wonder if the problem lies with the fact that both machines connect to the internet via a wireless router (in this case a public one that I have no configuration access to) in a way that perhaps the game cannot recognize.
    This was a game that was made in the late 90's before Wi-Fi was commonplace in the home. I highly doubt it will be compatible. It was also one of those games that used MSN Zone, but that was for online play, so I doubt it would be the issue.
  • Yeah, I figured, but I didn't know if it could work if we did some sort of old-style direct connection like some crossover cable action or something.
  • edited November 2008
    There's no reason I can think of why Wi-Fi wouldn't work because it's new. It uses DHCP so that it has an IP just like a cable connected computer.

I would wager that it tries to contact the other computer over a certain port that is blocked by the public router, or by the Vista/XP firewall. The problem is, I'm not sure how to figure out what port it needs.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • You could use a packet sniffer to find out what packets it's sending and where, couldn't you?
  • edited November 2008
    You could use apacket snifferto find out what packets it's sending and where, couldn't you?
    If I recall correctly, you can't see the ports the packets are being sent on, but it's been years since I've played with one, so I could very well be wrong.

If we could get the exact title, and maybe the publisher of the game, maybe specific google searching could yield the port.

Edit: Also, it's possible that compatibility mode doesn't let you do networking. I'm really not sure on this, but knowing this could save a bit of work.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • Old games like that might be using IPX for LAN play. Make sure to add IPX support to your networking interface.
  • How about Hamachi? or some other VPN thing?