This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 081113 - Two Topics

edited November 2008 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we talk about what unskilled laborers will do before we invent replicators, and the Martin Luther King Junior estate's aggressive litigiousness. Also, our friend's school needs books to make a library.

Scott's Thing - Feed me Bubbe
Rym's Thing - Bears Playing Hockey

Comments

• Oh, my family makes pasta a meat all the time. Its super good! We call it macaron, though.
  • Listening now. Can't wait to hear the new formats/topics. I agree with Scott. There is no North Dakota.
  • My grandaddy lives off his GM pension. Scott, you are dumb.
  • edited November 2008
    One indirect benefit of car companies is the technology they develop that then gets used in other areas. For example, the new Macbooks that have bodies made of a single piece of metal.
    This is also a popular argument used to help justify the space program.
    Post edited by csrjjsmp on
  • Strip pensions from the list of things given to new employees and renegotiate the union contracts. Unions are killing a lot of things. NJ is suffering under the weight of the state workers' union contracts and the current politicians are afraid of touching them since the union workers are a big part of their power base.
  • What are these ELMOs you guys are talking about?
  • What are these ELMOs you guys are talking about?
    Google knows.
  • edited November 2008
    What are these ELMOs you guys are talking about?
    Google knows.
    My match teacher has one of those. They're nifty.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Yeah, lets put the government in charge of the Car companies, because they do such a good job of running things. (Social Security: Status = Bankrupt, Medicare: Status = Bankrupt) Then when they fail, they will outlaw all foriegn cars, trash the fuel economy on the new cars, and raise gas taxes in the name of Global Warming.

New Car: Free
    Gas: $50.00 gallon
  • raise gas taxes in the name of Global Warming.
    They should be doing that no matter what. And use that tax money to invest in cleaner methods to make energy.
    They should be doing that no matter what. And use that tax money to invest in cleaner methods to make energy.
    You really do love to tell us how we should be running our country, don't you? :P
    You really do love to tell us how we should be running our country, don't you? :P
    That's because you obviously can't!
  • Yeah, lets put the government in charge of the Car companies, because they do such a good job of running things. (Social Security: Status = Bankrupt, Medicare: Status = Bankrupt) Then when they fail, they will outlaw all foriegn cars, trash the fuel economy on the new cars, and raise gas taxes in the name of Global Warming.
    Here at the FRC forums, we love abrasive statements backed up by circumstantial and unverified evidence. Good job newbie.
    edited November 2008
    Hey, at least we do our best to find a solution against _global_ warming. Sadly it's a _global_ issue, and thus efforts of 16 million people are not that noticable when they keep spewing 25% of the world consumption at full force into the air across the pond. Also, you can't run your country yourself, so pointing out someone whining about something that should be happening anyway is the least I could do.
    Post edited by ... on
  • You really do love to tell us how we should be running our country, don't you? :P
    Hey, at least we do our best to find a solution against _global_ warming. Sadly it's a _global_ issue, and thus efforts of 16 million people are not that noticable when they keep spewing25% of the world consumptionat full force into the air across the pond. Also, you can't run your country yourself, so pointing out someone whining about something that should be happening anyway is the least I could do.
    If only increased CO2 emissions were actually the cause of global warming. I'm not going to deny that we use waaay too many resources. The US needs to curtail its foreign energy usage big time.
  • If only increased CO2 emissions were actually the cause of global warming. I'm not going to deny that we use waaay too many resources. The US needs to curtail its foreign energy usage big time.
    Oh yes, it's most certainly not the only or the worst greenhouse gas. We just have to hope that not suddenly a bunch of methane escapes from their gas fields into the air. That would screw us over for 2 decades or so. CO2 however is however still a polluting gas that does impact our atmosphere, and the lives of people living in metropoles. I would say it's only logical for humanity, now that we've developed and grown smarter, to step away from this archaic source of energy and move on to something non- or less-polluting. There are multiple theories about our earth becoming warmer (again), and until we know for certain what causes it we should not ignore the one theory that spells doom and disaster for all of us. After all, what if it's the correct one?

That and cleaner energy means less/no smog that has influence on people's health, and we'll be prepared for when finally the last reserves deplete.
  • There are multiple theories about our earth becoming warmer (again), and until we know for certain what causes it we should not ignore the one theory that spells doom and disaster for all of us. After all, what if it's the correct one?
    If you want to listen to Al Gore's gloom and doom you can be my guest. Just remember that he's heavily invested in those expensive alternative energies you're so quick to run to. I'll listen to the climatologist from MIT instead of the politian/entreupeuner.
  • If you want to listen to Al Gore's gloom and doom you can be my guest. Just remember that he's heavily invested in those expensive alternative energies you're so quick to run to. I'll listen to the climatologist from MIT instead of the politian/entreupeuner.
    Pardon? Why would I bother listening to a person who presents only one point and tries to get support by adding some personal drama in it? Why would I care about him having invested his money in alternative energy ideas? Why would I care about one of your failed presidential candidates?

And how dare you even suggest willy-nilly that I be so sheeple-minded that I do not research by myself and listen to other respected people in the field than you? If you want to throw with dirt, I recall you being the sheep that initially wanted to vote Republican, 'because McCain is Republican'. Even when the party no longer represented you.

It's night now, so goodnight, and enjoy ignoring my other points of interest.
  • There are multiple theories about our earth becoming warmer (again), and until we know for certain what causes it we should not ignore the one theory that spells doom and disaster for all of us. After all, what if it's the correct one?
    The globe will inevitably warm up. We have climatological data that show that. There's no way around it. The question is really one of whether or not human activity has an influence, and if so, the extent of said influence. How much can we really affect?

I'll concur that we use too much energy, and that we should do everything we can to minimize our potential impact on global warming, simply because there is a slim chance it might do something. However, I heavily question the immediacy of the danger; I strongly doubt we're going to turn into a shitty Kevin Costner movie in the next 30 years. Will we ever? Absolutely. Will we now? Probably not. So, rather than use fear-mongering scare tactics to push forward technology to act as a band-aid, we need to seriously re-evaluate our energy consumption and start re-tooling our energy consumption patterns. That's a long-term project.

In the end, I'm confident that none of it will matter, because the average annual temperature of the Earth will rise over time, with or without us here. Instead of running around panicking about how we can stop it, we should start planning for the inevitable.
    The globe will inevitably warm up. We have climatological data that show that. There's no way around it. The question is really one of whether or not human activity has an influence, and if so, the extent of said influence. How much can we really affect?

I'll concur that we use too much energy, and that we should do everything we can to minimize our potential impact on global warming, simply because there is a slim chance it might do something. However, I heavily question the immediacy of the danger; I strongly doubt we're going to turn into a shitty Kevin Costner movie in the next 30 years. Will we ever? Absolutely. Will we now? Probably not. So, rather than use fear-mongering scare tactics to push forward technology to act as a band-aid, we need to seriously re-evaluate our energy consumption and start re-tooling our energy consumption patterns. That's a long-term project.

In the end, I'm confident that none of it will matter, because the average annual temperature of the Earth will rise over time, with or without us here. Instead of running around panicking about how we can stop it, we should start planning for the inevitable.
    Exactly. However, it's not easy to get everyone to use less energy. And since we do not know how much we influence the greenhouse effect, we shouldn't take risks and be preparing and moving on already.
  • A similar website to "Feed Me Bubbe" is "Manjula's Kitchen" for Indian vegetarian recipes.