This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Jumpgate Evolution

edited November 2008 in Video Games
Jumpgate Evolution is a action oriented space simulator MMO set to be released in Spring 2009. From what I have seen, this is the MMO that I have been searching for. Let's go over their "Design Theory" from the wiki.

Above all else, JGE is a game of skill. This means it is heavily reliant on "twitch-based" gameplay (but not inaccessible).
* JGE will not have an action bar.
* JGE will not have cooldowns.
* JGE will have constant and predictable damage, provided you hit your target (or in the case of larger ships, hit the right parts of your target).
* Ordnance have a set amount of damage. Shields and armor have a set durability. Provided the ordnance strikes the target, the outcome is not the least bit random.

Let me just share a few choice quotes from the designers:
There are no attributes that would add/change damage and level is simply something that unlocks more equipment to you. If a gun does 6 damage it always does 6 damage no matter who is pulling the trigger.
"I LOVE skills and skill trees but not in my action games. I'm not sure people want the experience of flying through space in an asteroid field during a complex dogfight and then having to look at the bottom of the screen to see in how many seconds their shield booster will run out... then take their hands off their joystick (or mouse and keyboard) to press "1" only to find out that CRAP! their energy weapon boost is about to expire so now they have to hit "2" and BOOM they are flying into the wall of the asteroid..."
Here is a short video to show you the game in action. There is also an open beta you can sign up for at their website.
SjQwdZEI4rI

Comments

• I might have to play this only because a friend in College lost his social life to the original jumpgate, played the game so much and is so well known that he's on the staff of the second game now. Darrel....
  • This looks like MMO Freelancer....Good.