This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Thing of the Day Spreadsheet

edited November 2008 in GeekNights
Hey guys, remember some of you were working on that thing of the day spreadsheet? I know I was a shit-talker (as usual) and never did anything with it. As you may know, I've been working on the new website for the past two days. If I can get that spreadsheet with all the correct fields filled out (url, name of link, person who posted it, date, episode id#) it will mean that the website will be ready much sooner. We're still going to have to do a shitton of data entry to get the new site running, but that sheet will make it at least a little easier.

I didn't want to make a new thread for this, but I couldn't find the old one.

Comments

• So what you need is the entry for each episode divided up into it's various components and posted into a spreadsheet for sorting?
  • edited November 2008
    So what you need is the entry for each episode divided up into it's various components and posted into a spreadsheet for sorting?
    If you guys did every part of every episode, that would be crazy awesome, but I can't really ask for that. All I'm asking for is the things of the day, and I believe there was already a Google Doc that had most of the work done on that.

If some crazy people do want to do every episode, just say so and I'll make a starter spreadsheet, so you get the format correct.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Can't you write a regex script that rips the html with the data and then just dumps it into the new site?
  • edited November 2008
    If some crazy people do want to do every episode, just say so and I'll make a starter spreadsheet, so you get the format correct.
    I'll do it. It's been a while since I've been through the archives.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Can't you write a regex script that rips the html with the data and then just dumps it into the new site?
    Yes, but it won't be perfect.
  • If this is set up as a google docs spreadsheet anyone can add and correct at any time and work will not be duplicated. I can do it, but I'm sure Scott can set it up more easily.
    Yes, but it won't be perfect.
    Should've made the posts better then. Rym's thing of the day in a RTOTD span, STOTD span, etc. :)

Anyways, good luck Sonic.
  • Is this what you are looking for?

Hasn't been updated for a while though.
  • Isthiswhat you are looking for?

Hasn't been updated for a while though.
    Yeah, that's what I was talking about.
  • edited November 2008
    Who has ownership?
    EDIT: Okay, I made a copy for myself. I'll get going then.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Ok, I'm going to write a script, and I'll put up the results. Hold off work temporarily until then.
  • edited November 2008
    Should I update the list? Or is it now in your hands Scott?

By the way, there are several things which need new links, especially YouTube likes removing videos.
    Post edited by Jain7th on
  • edited November 2008
    Should I update the list? Or is it now in your hands Scott?

By the way, there are several things which need new links, especially YouTube likes removing videos.
    I'm going to take what we've got, and the database, and make two new spreadsheets. Then we're going to go around fixing those as much as possible. Then we're all set.

I just realized one benefit of this is that we will get an accurate episode count.
  • YouTube likes removing videos
    Forming search links might get around that.
  • Question: Has GeekNights ever released more than one episode on the same date?
  • Question: Has GeekNights ever released more than one episode on the same date?
    No. Not that I've ever seen, and I've poked through the archives quite a bit.
  • edited November 2008
    Question: Has GeekNights ever released more than one episode on the same date?
    I think that the special with the clown pistol assassination attempt was posted on the same date as another convention special, but I'm not positive. We may want to double-check that. If you're trying to determine the best way to catalog entries, maybe going with YYYYMMDDnnn (where n is an identifier for shows with the same date) is the safest bet. This way you won't be confined to just one episode per day for future shows, in case you ever want to give us that much GeekNights content ^_^.

EDIT: Never mind, there wasn't another episode on that date.
    Post edited by Lusankya on
  • There is at least one thing like this:
    GeekNights Experimental - Intro
    Posted in Experimental, Meta on July 10th, 2007
    http://media.libsyn.com/media/geeknights/20070710x01.mp3

GeekNights Special 008 - Chrononauts
    Posted in Board Games, Podcasts, Specials, Tuesdays on July 10th, 2007
    http://media.libsyn.com/media/geeknights/20070710.mp3
    And I belive there are quite many posts that were posted on same day containing episodes for different days, like this
    Geeknights: 060621 - Anime Next and the Continued Mac Saga
    Posted in Anime, Computers, Conventions, Meta, Podcasts, Wednesdays on June 21st, 2006
    http://media.libsyn.com/media/geeknights/20060621.mp3

GeekNights: 060620 - Railroad Tycoon
    Posted in Board Games, Meta, Podcasts, Randi, Tuesdays on June 21st, 2006
    http://media.libsyn.com/media/geeknights/20060620.mp3
    Not sure if that's what you're looking for
  • That is helpful. I'm working on this right now.
  • Here is a new thing of the day spreadsheet. It isn't perfect. It has many problems. However, it is the best I can do with automatic generation.

Here's what we have to do

1) Fill in blanks by hand
    1) Correct errors
    2) Find dead links, and replace them with working links if possible
  • If the link is dead and no replacement can be found should it be deleted or have a note attached saying no replacement has been found?
  • Here is a newthing of the day spreadsheet. It isn't perfect. It has many problems. However, it is the best I can do with automatic generation.

1) Correct errors
    Okay, I would love to help, but I can't edit this. Maybe I'm missing something though, because I've never really used Google Docs. Also, can we have a column for a note about each one, so we can see which links have been checked, or is that what F is for?
  • If the link is dead and no replacement can be found should it be deleted or have a note attached saying no replacement has been found?
    Leave the original URL, and just note that the link is dead. Later we can go searching on Google to see if a replacement can be found.
  • edited November 2008
    Okay, I would love to help, but I can't edit this. Maybe I'm missing something though, because I've never really used Google Docs. Also, can we have a column for a note about each one, so we can see which links have been checked, or is that what F is for?
    You have to sign in to Google Docs in order to edit. You guys can add columns and whatnot a necessary. The key is to keep everything uniform. If the formats of the columns and such aren't perfectly uniform, then it's very difficult to write a computer program that can read it.

Here is the spreadsheet that has the data for all the episodes.
    1) Make sure all the data is correct
    2) Fill in missing information (like mp3urls)
    3) A lot of the show notes got split up into separate columns. Combine them.
    4) REMOVE things of the day from the show notes
  • Okay, I would love to help, but I can't edit this. Maybe I'm missing something though, because I've never really used Google Docs. Also, can we have a column for a note about each one, so we can see which links have been checked, or is that what F is for?
    You have to sign in to Google Docs in order to edit. You guys can add columns and whatnot a necessary. The key is to keep everything uniform. If the formats of the columns and such aren't perfectly uniform, then it's very difficult to write a computer program that can read it.

Here is the spreadsheetthat has the data for all the episodes.
    1) Make sure all the data is correct
    2) Fill in missing information (like mp3urls)
    3) A lot of the show notes got split up into separate columns. Combine them.
    4) REMOVE things of the day from the show notes
    Okay, I feel like an idiot, but do I have to make a copy or something to edit it? It just says view only in the top right hand corner, and I'm signed in. I can make a copy, but then I can't figure out how to import that back into the TotD list.
  • edited November 2008
    Wow, check out this bullshit. There are three choices for universal document sharing.

1) Always require sign-in
    2) Let people view without signing in
    3) Let people edit without signing in

I chose 2. I want people to edit if they sign in, but view only if they don't sign in. Apparently that doesn't do it. There is no way to let anyone edit who signs in, and let anyone view who does not. I have to explicitly give permission to editors. What a pain in the ass.

Ok, so theoretically once I give someone editing permissions, they should be able to give those editing permissions to other people. So share the love everybody.
  • edited November 2008
    Wow, check out this bullshit. There are three choices for universal document sharing.

1) Always require sign-in
    2) Let people view without signing in
    3) Let people edit without signing in

I chose 2. I want people to edit if they sign in, but view only if they don't sign in. Apparently that doesn't do it. There is no way to let anyone edit who signs in, and let anyone view who does not. I have to explicitly give permission to editors. What a pain in the ass.
    Yes! I'm not an idiot!

Wow, yeah, that sucks though.

Edit: Okay, do we want to leave those links to the MP3's in the Show Notes section? I would assume no, since we already have a MP3 URL section.

Double Edit: And should we make a new field for the other links in the Show Notes? It looks really messy with all of those A Href's everywhere.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • edited November 2008
    Here is a newthing of the day spreadsheet. It isn't perfect. It has many problems. However, it is the best I can do with automatic generation.

1) Correct errors
    The original google spreadsheet was checked for all that, why didn't you use it to a much greater extent?
    Post edited by Jain7th on
  • The original google spreadsheet was checked for all that, why didn't you use it to a much greater extent?
    Because it isn't syntactically consistent enough to process it programatically. That's the reason we need manual labor to look at the two and match things up.
  • ok, hold up, I think I found a way to make it even better.