This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Making .avi's from .DEM files (SOLVED)

edited November 2008 in Technology
I am in need of some help. I have already recorded demos in Counterstrike, and know how to do this in this way:

pOBT1nLzH7A

However, I followed all of the steps up to compressing the file in Virtual Dub, but the way I'm supposed to compress it in the video above I don't have. It says I'm supposed to compress it in Xvid, but that isn't in the compression list. Help anyone? Or does anyone know a better way to make Counterstrike Source demos into actual video file I can upload to youtube?

Comments

edited November 2008
    Did you check the Virtual Dub FAQ? Did you request support from the creators of the software that you're using?

If you really can't export is as an Xvid, export it in another codec and then convert that video to an Xvid avi. Or you could try to find out what file formats Youtube supports other than Xvid avi's and save the movie that way.

EDIT: Also, it appears that he says: "I use Xvid," so you might not necessarily have to use the Xvid encoding option. A friend noted that you might just be missing the Xvid codecs. Apparently (I expected otherwise) Virtual Dub does not come with them standard.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Well, DEM files aren't actual video files so you can't just simply convert them into AVIs or MPGs.

Once you have loaded all the images into VirtualDub you can encode them using whatever compression you want (or what works best). Because you're using screenshots to create the video the frame rate should stay consistent and the audio and not go out of sync. doom9 is always a nice place to explore if you're trying to edit videos.
  • Thanks, and I've finally got it all figured out.