This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Since I'm no Paprika...HELP!

edited November 2008 in Everything Else
Hello all you lovely people!

I really need your help. I'm working on a final project regarding the collective subconscious. I'm collecting dreams people have had—last night, last week, last decade. I considered parsing through twitter feeds, but there is too much noise to signal. So, I've created a form for people to submit their dreams. This, of course, means that I need people to submit dreams. So I sit here, with bended knees*, begging for your participation.

You can write a sentence, a paragraph, or several pages. All that matters to me is that I have the content of people's dreams.

You don't have to give your real name, just please use a consistent alias if you enter more than one dream and only enter one dream per submission.

http://dream.efuller.net/share.php

Also, it's a serious project, so please give serious answers.

*I'm sitting, after all.

Comments

• Wow, interesting project. What's your thesis?
  • Hmm. I have a dream every night, almost. I have some interesting ones too.
  • NOTE: I'm still going through the debugging process, so let me know about any problems that come up. I have tried to anticipate some of the more obvious ones but there is always a new problem to tackle.

@ Sonic: Basically, I want to visualize a network of interrelated dreams. So, I'll parse through everything for similarities (content, date, location, etc) and link the dreams. People can navigate this dream scape, reading the dreams or just watching the interaction. I'm also looking at setting up a collective dream generator that randomly pulls words that appear next to each other in the dreams to create a narrative. I may experiment a bit with pulling related images from Flickr, but I think that could just destroy the aesthetic of the overall piece.

This is all subject to change based on the response I get.

@ Mankoon: Please share some of them. I have included a date variable for older dreams. Otherwise, I am presuming that the dream was from the night before the post.
  • I kept a pretty detailed dream journal for a while, in an attempt to work toward consistent lucid dreaming. I'll post a few of them.
  • Awesome. Thank you very much funfetus.

My analytics page shows a lot of one page visits. Since it takes three pages to submit, it looks like I'm getting visitors that click on and then leave. I'm looking at adding some popup explanations so that people don't balk at some of the more specific questions like when did you dream this. But I'm lost as to what I can say to get people to really fill this out. Talking to friends, I find that a lot of them say "but I don't remember my dreams." After a prolonged conversation, I do get a dream out of them and they write it in. Obviously, I can't get that response from strangers and it would take so much time that I wouldn't be able to get work done on some of the other projects that I have been neglecting.

Do any of you have suggestions for improving response rates? Also, I want to widen my sample so that it isn't mostly people I went to school with. Does anyone know any dream related sites that might be receptive to working with me? I need to present in a few weeks, so I need to focus on writing up the visualizer rather than collecting information. Besides, this was supposed to be a side project while I work on my actual show piece which is totally unrelated.
  • I'll post some of my dream journal stuff from college. After I graduated last year, it was difficult to write them down in the morning, so I would always forget them, but in college I had some really good ones.
  • Awesome. Thank you very much funfetus.
    If you can see the times the dreams were posted, and you compare to the time I posted here, you can figure out which ones are mine. Please don't judge me.
    Talking to friends, I find that a lot of them say "but I don't remember my dreams."
    I've talked to a lot of people who insist they just don't dream. As much as I can tell, it's more that most people just don't pay enough attention to their dreams to remember them. I'd suggest hitting up some dream-related forums, like lucid dreaming or dream interpretation stuff. Those people know exactly what they've been dreaming.
  • @gomidog: I think my dreams in undergrad were rather boring. There were a few good ones that I wrote down but now I can't find most of them. I haven't had many interesting dreams in graduate school. They are mostly about social exchanges with people that pretty directly reflect my social anxieties.

@Funfetus: Sometimes I think it's just the one-line excuse to get out of the work. That way they can't be accused of being an unsupportive friends, they just can't help.

I'll post on a few forums to see if that get's me any traffic.
  • @Funfetus: Sometimes I think it's just the one-line excuse to get out of the work. That way they can't be accused of being an unsupportive friends, they just can't help.
    Maybe sometimes...but certainly not always.

I would say that I only "remember" my dreams, or dream period, only about once a week. The other days it's just like...hit the pillows at 1am, fall the fuck asleep within seconds, then wake up and get out of bed seemingly seconds later. It's almost weird, just sitting down then 6-7 hours passing like nothing...but that's honestly how it feels 6 out of 7 days of the week.
  • edited November 2008
    I'm sorry but the following joke stands very little chance of being understood in the sketch thread. So , here goes..

Read this (Pay attention to the picture used.) then, read this, should the planets align correctly, you will understand the joke.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Ha, your comic has inspired me to change my picture, Omnutia. I'm sure you'll agree that this is far better. Maybe I'll make a series, one for each month.
  • Ha, your comic has inspired me to change my picture, Omnutia. I'm sure you'll agree that this is far better. Maybe I'll make a series, one for each month.
    Yes, my account picture is the best.
  • Indeed, that is quite the picture...now, tie that into a dream and submit it.
  • Indeed, that is quite the picture...now, tie that into a dream and submit it.
    You missed the point entirely. Also, there's a reason why I have not checked out your site. I have no dreams to give you.