This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

So they just turned my 360 into a Wii...

edited November 2008 in Video Games
and I think I am OK with that. I haven't tried out the new Netflix app but I am tempted to get a trial month to see how it works. Also, I think my avatar (I will call them Xii's) looks a hell of a lot like me.

What does everyone else think on the topic?

Comments

• I have a media PC connected to a large TV that I stream netflix with. It rocks.

As for the topic, it's just MS doing what they do best. Copying the best parts of their competition.
  • edited November 2008
    Another reason to buy a 360 but, until they fix the reliability issues I'm not really considering it.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • That price is also $199 for a 360. If I had games that I wanted to play on the 360 or a real use for it, I would totally buy one.
  • That price is also $199 for a 360. If I had games that I wanted to play on the 360 or a real use for it, I would totally buy one.
    The price is not $199 for a 360. That's the price of the low-end version with no hard drive. It's effectively useless. It's like if I sold you a Ferrari for $100, but sold the engine separately for $100,000. It's a phony price, don't be fooled.
  • Man... my 360's still getting repaired. I just got an e-mail today saying they received the console, and should be about another two or three weeks until they fix or replace it. So until then, no "New X-Box Experience" for me. I was really looking forward to the streaming Netflix...

In the mean time, I have this video to hold me over.
  • edited November 2008
    fix the reliability issues
    I'm in the same boat :) I will probably end up getting a PS3 eventually, it still has tons of hardware room left untapped, where the 360 is starting to get tapped out..
    Post edited by djfooboo on
  • edited November 2008
    I got the update yesterday and it looks decent enough. Haven't played with it much though. I like the install option but I will probably only apply it tomorrow when I install Rock Band 2. 20 GB is just not enough space. If you buy a 360 now, make sure you buy one with the 60 GB hard drive. If you were already suckered into an Arcade or a Core edition I think the best option is the Starter pack with a 60 GB, a Headset and an Ethernet Cable. Just saw it for $99 on eBay, but the GameStop clerk today said they are only 79€ where I live (which is odd because normally there is a 1:1 conversion with games and game accessories).

Well, I'm glad that I bought my 360 more than a year ago (late August 07) for the same price as that the latest drop put it on, probably because of a pricing error at my local store. Also got two mediocre games (PGR3 and Kameo) for free with it ^^

As for reliability: I thought they had it under control now after they changed both the computing processor and the graphics processor. Anyways, since I live in Austria I don't really have a problem with hardware issues since the government requires a two-year warranty for almost anything. I had two issues: About a month after I bought the 360 it got the Red Ring of Death. Since it was a friday it got picked up the next monday and I got it back two weeks later. It ran smoothly ever since until about two months ago when the DVD drive crashed, which was also take care of within two weeks.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
    The price is not $199 for a 360. That's the price of the low-end version with no hard drive. It's effectively useless. It's like if I sold you a Ferrari for $100, but sold the engine separately for $100,000. It's a phony price, don't be fooled.
    That's a bit of a false analogy. The Xbox 360 Arcade is still fully capable of playing all 360 disc games. While you may not be able to download some arcade games, the main titles are still fully playable online and off. A Ferrari without an engine can't run; an Xbox without a HDD can still play it's main titles.
    Microsoft has an answer for all of the people who bought an arcade after the price drop. If you register your Xbox you can get a refurb 20gb drive for $20 or a 512mb memory card for free. If only you could just use a usb HDD or a thumbdrive instead of their special drive. link
    That's a bit of a false analogy. The Xbox 360 Arcade is still fully capable of playing all 360 disc games. While you may not be able to download some arcade games, the main titles are still fully playable online and off. A Ferrari without an engine can't run; an Xbox without a HDD can still play it's main titles.
    Agreed. The HDD add-on only will run you about $40 on Amazon. I am sure you can use ebay and craigslist to get it for much cheaper.
  • Another reason to buy a 360 but, until they fix the reliability issues I'm not really considering it.
    The reliability issues are there for some, but how long should a system last? My son's 360 is almost three years old and still working with no problems. I bought myself a 360 a year ago and have had no problems. So it isn't like every system breaks. You are really just denying yourself time playing the system now if you sit around waiting for some time in the future when the system will have all reliability problems resolved. If you have other things to satisfy your time, then that is fine. I just think the reliability issue is not a reason to stay away.
  • Let me tell you from someone who saw it first hand, they break constantly. It is literally hit or miss with the RROD issue, even the new ones STILL crash, it all depends on the ventilation of the system itself and if you take care of them.
  • So I downloaded it yesterday, and I have to say the looks sucks.

Navigating the menu's are a pain now. And it looks bad (but a theme might make it better). I haven't gotten a crash yet.
  • Well, it gives me a reason to keep using Xbox Live until they ban my 360 outright. The Netflix isn't half bad, and the interface is workable, enough so that when I do get banned I'll actually have a reason to shell out for a used HD and console. Multiplayer alone wouldn't have cut it, but I already have the games and if I can get multiplayer and streaming functionality for $200 or less, it's all good.

I'm watching Red Dwarf right now with the Netflix plugin, and I have to say, it is the business. I really have no reason to download television shows anymore.
  • edited November 2008
    Let me tell you from someone who saw it first hand, they break constantly. It is literally hit or miss with the RROD issue, even the new ones STILL crash, it all depends on the ventilation of the system itself and if you take care of them.
    I took pretty good are of my system. I hardly used it, kept it well ventilated and clean. Oh well, hopefully the new one I get will last longer than a year. I'm thinking of getting a bigger hard drive (mine is only 10 gb.) Does anyone know of a simple way to transfer data from one hard drive to another?
    when I do get banned I'll actually have a reason to shell out for a used HD and console.
    Why would you be banned?
    Post edited by ColombianShadow on
  • I took pretty good are of my system. I hardly used it, kept it well ventilated and clean. Oh well, hopefully the new one I get will last longer than a year. I'm thinking of getting a bigger hard drive (mine is only 10 gb.) Does anyone know of a simple way to transfer data from one hard drive to another?
    I had a launch system, and it only died at the start of this year, in the middle of a 40 degree Celsius summer. A random aside - Not only did x-box Australia had it back within four days, the support guy was a mad geek, and actually finished the call with "May the force be with you." It's all just a matter of luck, I think.
  • I have a media PC connected to a large TV that I stream netflix with. It rocks.

As for the topic, it's just MS doing what they do best. Copying the best parts of their competition.
    You didn't really prove your point only because a PC is essentially Microsoft. Unless you have Linux or another OS it then you are still using Microsoft's product but in this instance they are doing some brilliant which is incorporating one popular element with another.
  • I'm sorry, but the NXE is ridiculously stupid.
  • If you don't like it just press the guide button and do everything from there.
  • If you don't like it just press the guide button and do everything from there.
    Sure! Can you tell me how to change profiles on there? You see, we have separate accounts for everyone in the house.
  • Why would you be banned?
    A friend and I flashed my disc drive. So yeah, I'll deserve it if and when it happens.
  • edited November 2008
    If you don't like it just press the guide button and do everything from there.
    Sure! Can you tell me how to change profiles on there? You see, we have separate accounts for everyone in the house.
    Open the guide. Press X to sign out (described at the bottom of the Guide menu). Confirm. Press X to sign in, chose profile, finished.
    Really not that hard.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Open the guide. Press X to sign out (described at the bottom of the Guide menu). Confirm. Press X to sign in, chose profile, finished.
    Really not that hard.
    Thanks. I was looking for that.
  • I'm sorry, but the NXE is ridiculously stupid.
    How is it stupid?
  • edited November 2008
    I think saying it is ugly is a valid argument, but they did not change anything for the worse. Also, it was free.

All I see is improvements across the board.
    Post edited by Bowl Of Rice on