This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 081201 - Tech Hiring and more

edited December 2008 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we supposedly discuss hiring tech workers. However, we mostly end up talking about enterprise software pricing and ethical killer robots.

Scott's Thing - Yubikey
Rym's Thing - Greening the Desert

Comments

• edited December 2008
    Oh mans. It surprised me when I got into the tech job market, but it seems most corporations don't hire tech people anymore. All of the job offers I've gotten have been through agencies or contracts.

On one hand: I'm making $30-40k doing tech support stuff. I'm 18, and everyone else in the company is 25 or older. The median age of my coworkers is more like 35 or 40, and they've been here for years. I've effectively doubled my salary at each job I've had (except consulting), and in the month I've worked at Kodak I'm already working with my supervisor to revamp our entire tech support system.

On the other hand: I can't get a better job than this, unless I have connections. I have A+ Certification, and I'm not really in university yet, so there is no chance for advancement (unless I establish a client base and do $40/hour consulting like I did in California).

While I'm in university, I suppose I'll work the same level of job (about $35k/year). I hope that by the time I'm done with RIT, the job market will be such that I can start making "mad monies" and not have to worry about finances. What are your thoughts? Sorry if you addressed something like this in the show; I'm at work and haven't listened to it yet.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • edited December 2008
    Trivializing things that I'm awesome at used to mess with me. Even within the last year I had a 2nd degree black belt in TKD, I had been playing drums for years, and I was making rap music, but if you asked me what I was good at I probably would have just shrugged my shoulders. These days I'm slowly clawing my way out of that trap (though I still hate all my rap music).
    Post edited by Walker on
  • That was a great show. I completely agree with what you said about stating your hobbies. I've never been an interviewer, but have been on the interviewee side quite often and the question always comes up. At first I was one of those people that would just say, "well....I like movies...books." I definitely do more than that and my 'like' for them isn't so superficial . Even if it is not impressive at all to yourself or that it seems like you're taking up valuable interview time, you might be surprised at how well it comes off for the interviewers. I've had an interview extended by over half an hour actually talking about anime and games (I wish corporate didn't tell them they couldn't hire anyone right after).
  • Trivializing things that I'm awesome at used to mess with me. Even within the last year I had a 2nd degree black belt in TKD, I had been playing drums for years, and I was making rap music, but if you asked me what I was good at I probably would have just shrugged my shoulders. These days I'm slowly clawing my way out of that trap (though I still hate all my rap music).
    Tel them you wrote a novel ;)
  • At the moment I am sitting next to a box that hasn't been powered on for over a year (maybe 2?) Inside of this box is a socket A motherboard with a perfectly good AthlonXP 1800+. Ram and power supply have since been salvaged. This was actually a box I used when friends came over to play RTS games like AOE I & II, Starcraft, RoN, etc. I actually have 4 IDE drives still held hostage in it :P

When the system started to lock up randomly I originally suspected the graphics card, but after swapping it with full system lock ups still occurring (even in linux) I was eventually able to deduce that the IDE controller on the board was borked.

So indeed I'm interested in some of that socket A generation hardware, does there happen to be a list?
  • So indeed I'm interested in some of that socket A generation hardware, does there happen to be a list?
    A lot of people are asking about it, so I'm going to make a list.
  • Amusingly, BDSM is what got me one of my jobs back when I worked in tech.

After the 'management meeting' the current Tech I was replacing and I went to the pub for the 'technical portion' of the interview, which yeah, was basically just a chat in a pub.

Anyway, we had a shared interest. That took up the majority of the conversation and I was in.
    It's rather interesting how many people in one community are part of another. Many, many geeks in the BDSM community. Especially the MacGyver type.
  • *pictures McGuyver and BDSM* NO! AUGH!! NO!
  • edited December 2008
    Is one of those LCD's 15'' (don't care for the backlight, so if its not working I'd still be interested)? and if so, does it have a DVI connector?
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • I'm willing to take a couple LCD's off your hands, if you're willing to ship to Canada. I'll pay, of course.
  • edited December 2008
    Re: Greening the Desert, I think Truzzi needs invoking: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.
    Post edited by Thaed on
  • I'd like the video card if its still available. About how much would it be to ship?
    After the 'management meeting' the current Tech I was replacing and I went to the pub for the 'technical portion' of the interview, which yeah, was basically just a chat in a pub. Anyway, we had a shared interest. That took up the majority of the conversation and I was in.
    I am very sheltered.
    It's rather interesting how many people in one community are part of another. Many, many geeks in the BDSM community. Especially the MacGyver type.
    I guess they find interesting ways of beating people.

You have:
    An empty tank of helium
    A used car stereo
    and a deck of playing cards

Your mission:
    Find a way to tie up and spank someone.
  • Scott, if you're looking to get rid of some parts, I'll take anything you're willing to mail to Canada.
  • edited December 2008
    Hey guys I have need of some more LCD monitors. You said you have 3? I might take them all depending if they are still available. I live a hour or so away so I can pick them up. You can email me at staton.allen@gmail.com
    Post edited by Sycar on

• I guess they find interesting ways of beating people.
    I see what you did there.
  • I used to hate doing tech interviews when I worked for a consulting firm. I was given a list of questions that I had to ask. I'd ask them but pay more attention to other parts of the conversation just to get the 'feel' of the interviewee.

Had a good chuckle when you were having the 'do you know Linux' conversation. I haven't touched a *ix box for about 10+ years but I answered the questions the way you wanted ("I'd grep the logs" & "I use vi").