This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Energy Conservation and Lifestyle.

edited December 2008 in Everything Else
Simple question: if your lifestyle uses a lot of gas and electricity, but you can afford it, should you change your lifestyle to conserve energy?

Say you like driving Hummers, your house costs a fortune to heat and you run a hot tub year round. But you have the money, so it has no impact on you financially?

Is this wrong?

For the record, I do not own a Hummer, but I am curious if most people here think consuming energy as part of one's lifestyle is bad.

Comments

• edited December 2008
    According to capitalism and the free market system, the basis of our society last I checked, then it's perfectly fine.

According to the bleeding heart liberal global warming hippies, it's wrong and you should be ashamed of yourself! Using more energy than third world countries, the nerve of some industrialized nations!
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • I wouldn't say its wrong, but you should probably try to reduce your carbon footprint by paying one of those organizations to plant some trees on your behalf.
  • Even if you can afford something, doesn't mean you should waste money.

For example. Let's say I have a bajillion dollars. I'll be able to pay the electric bill whether or not I leave the lights on when I'm not home. However, the electric bill will still be higher if I leave the lights on than if I turn them off. Even if I have a pile of money, why should I spend it on nothing? That's just pointless. You don't become or stay wealthy by wasting money so irresponsibly.

Now, of course, you could save even more energy. You could, for example, turn your computers off when you aren't using them. However, unlike lightbulbs, this actually results in inconvenience. You have to wait for computers to boot up. You can't access them remotely if they are off. You can't have them serve things, or execute scheduled tasks when you are away from home. You might save on the electric bill, but you would actually lose something.

In summary, no matter how rich you are, there's no excuse to leave lights on when you aren't home. But nobody is going to tell you to turn the lights off while you're using them.
  • edited December 2008
    I find large cars obnoxious, unsightly and a waste of resources other than just oil (Think of the amount of steel poured into one of those behemoths). However, I think if you want to enjoy a fine sports car or the like, yeah, whatever floats your boat. As far as electricity goes, I think there's no problem with using that. As Scott said, though, waste for waste's sake is more or less inherently bad.

However, that being said, I do have an issue with carbon emissions and energy usage, mainly due to the whole global warming issue. With a wind turbine made from PVC pipe and a treadmill motor, along with some decent solar cells, you can lower power needs a decent amount, especially for a small house. I'm kind of hardcore about my own personal green living (within reason; as we've been finding recently, building houses solely out of recycled materials is a bad idea), but I refuse to impose my beliefs on others. Take your Hummer to work; I'll bike, and I'll still treat you like a person.

I've been fancifully designing a small (small footprint) retreat to be either rural or on a mountain somewhere, filled with books, low power-drain tech, and stuff to just allow me to work peacefully when need be, and maybe house a few guests from time to time. Current plans call for a power grid built on solar panels and one or two turbines to drive most of the gear inside. The rest of the high-power gear [AC units (slim form-factors), the washer/dryer, and anything else] can be supplied from the existing grid, which can provide backup power in the event that the turbines fail. There's a TON of other ideas with this (three stories, solar-heated water, etc.), but that would make this post take forever.

Call it my Geekwochenendenhaus.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Affluence is not something to be ashamed of.
  • Affluence is not something to be ashamed of.
    Waste is "something to be ashamed of." Waste is not an indicator of affluence. It's an indicator of stupidity. That's what Scott was talking about. Be reasonable with your energy use or you won't be affluent for long.
  • This would be something to talk about in FNPL. ^_^
  • I find large cars obnoxious, unsightly and a waste of resources other than just oil (Think of the amount of steel poured into one of those behemoths).
    I'm pretty sure that it is actually more ecologically sound to make(just make, not run) a hummer than it is to make a Prius. Not to mention that the Prius isn't all that it's cracked up to be, but that's just me bitching about cars I don't like.
  • I agree with Scott. If you use your hot tub year round, then fine. If you drive your Hummer in ways that only a Hummer can be driven, fine. If not, then you're being wasteful. That's not just wrong, it's stupid. If you're not going to use it and don't care about the cash, then turn it off and give the money you saved to charity, or invest it in something.
  • I agree with Scott. If you use your hot tub year round, then fine. If you drive your Hummer in ways that only a Hummer can be driven, fine. If not, then you're being wasteful. That's not just wrong, it's stupid. If you're not going to use it and don't care about the cash, then turn it off and give the money you saved to charity, or invest it in something.
    Seriously. If you've got 5 sports cars, and you actually use them all in races and such, that's cool. If you've got a Porsche in the garage that never moves, it's just wasteful.
  • edited December 2008
    Question: Do American car makers make small economic cars along the lines of the Fiat?

I am also with the idea that you should get what you need and a people carrier is a better choice than a hummer.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited December 2008
    If you've got a Porsche in the garage that never moves, it's just wasteful.
    It's not using gasoline, but that's a waste for sure!
    According to the bleeding heart liberal (Emily), it's wrong and you should be ashamed of yourself!
    I generally dislike wasteful stuff. I'm frugal with money, resources, and electricity. I guess the key is trying to find a balance between what is comfortable and what is extravagant. Don't be Scrooge, shivering in a cold house because coal costs money, but don't take every good thing for granted. Some waste can not be avoided in a reasonable modern lifestyle. However, it's good to at least think about your actions. If everyone tries to be conservative in their use of energy and resources, there will be more to go around. Wouldn't that be a good thing?

Scott and I are actually on the same page about this, only he worries about money, whereas I worry about environmental impact.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Question: Do American car makers make small economic cars along the lines of the Fiat?
    Yes, and no. There are small economical cars available, but they are not nearly as small or economical as the Fiat. I think the smallest car that is easy to get in the US is the Cooper mini.

I've also heard that even if you compare the exact same car between the US and another country that the US version is bigger. So for example a Honda Civic from the US is bigger and roomier than a Honda civic from other places. I've heard it said that this is so fat americans can fit in the car.
  • Question: Do American car makers make small economic cars along the lines of the Fiat?
    Not so much. The largest Fiat is probably around our smallest car. I want a Fiat 500 Abarth SS!
  • Emily and Scott agree?!

I'm with all of you on the waste part. I turn things off when I'm not using them. The Porsche does tend to sit, but it is nice to look at as well as drive (although it is in for the winter now). So, I like to the think the Porsche doubles as art.
    Amen to that.

I use a homebrew power control similar to X10 modules. I only built it as a hobby project, but since I've wired up most of the lights and outlets in my home to relay boards, I've actually noticed a significant drop in my power bill.
  • Man, I just thought of something. Do you think conservatives feel the way Christians do when confronted by atheists, or the way meat eaters feel threatened by vegetarians? They always say things like "You are trying to make us feel ashamed of our wealth!" or "You are trying to make us feel guilty" or "You intellectual elite are making fun of us and treating us like we are stupid"

Would they would get so defensive if they didn't feel guilty already? It's like when someone is confronted with a threat to their beliefs, and and they believe (but refuse to consciously admit) that threat carries some weight? Otherwise, I don't understand why they get so angry.
  • You're ok as long as you are not polluting for the hell of it like a Captain Planet villain
  • Man, I just thought of something. Do you think conservatives feel the way Christians do when confronted by atheists, or the way meat eaters feel threatened by vegetarians? They always say things like "You are trying to make us feel ashamed of our wealth!" or "You are trying to make us feel guilty" or "You intellectual elite are making fun of us and treating us like we are stupid"

Would they would get so defensive if they didn't feel guilty already? It's like when someone is confronted with a threat to their beliefs, and and they believe (but refuse to consciously admit) that threat carries some weight? Otherwise, I don't understand why they get so angry.
    People generally don't like being told what to do. Personally I'm very skeptical of global warming. I also drive a generally wasteful (20 MPG around town) sports sedan. I have nearly 300 hp, and I use it often, usually for unnecessary reasons simply because it's fun. I turn off my lights, my thermostat is set low, I consolidated my servers into one computer, but I'll be damned if you're gonna tell me I can't burn the gasoline I bought how I see fit. Conversely, I don't bitch about the price of fuel, even when it was $4+. In fact, I'd like to see it return to that high as a there were less people on the road and driving was generally nicer.
  • edited December 2008
    On a somewhat related note, whenever there is a World Cup my dad will go out and drive because there are practically no cars on the road.
    The reason you don't complain about the price of fuel is probably due to it being more of a necessity for you. When prices go up, you aren't the kind of person hit badly.
  • On a somewhat related note, whenever there is a World Cup my dad will go out and drive because there are practically no cars on the road.
    The reason you don't complain about the price of fuel is probably due to it being more of a necessity for you. When prices go up, you aren't the kind of person hit badly.
    No, the reason I don't complain about fuel is because I'm a car enthusiast. It's the price of being a car enthusiast and I pay it gladly. I love driving. I love everything about cars and engines. I get up some weekends and just go driving for the fun of it, it's my hobby.
  • No, the reason I don't complain about fuel is because I'm a car enthusiast. It's the price of being a car enthusiast and I pay it gladly. I love driving. I love everything about cars and engines. I get up some weekends and just go driving for the fun of it, it's my hobby.
    Then you're not being wasteful. You're expending that money and energy, but you're getting something for it. What would be wasteful is if you let your car just idle in the driveway until it was half empty, just for no reason.
  • the Fiat
    the Fiat
    God, it's just 'Fiat'. It's a company called 'Fiat'. They make Fiats. There is more than one Fiat out there so what's with the 'the Fiat'?! Also, Fiats are the first thing you mention Omnutia? Peugeot, Citroen, Volkswagen, all make small economical cars. Hell, BMW made the new Mini's, and only now Fiat comes with the New 500.
    the BMW Mini Cooper. mini.
    Not so much. The largest Fiat is probably around our smallest car. I want a Fiat 500 Abarth SS!
    Woaw! US cars are larger than Tanks?! =D The new Fiat 500 is awesome, yes.
  • Woaw! US cars are larger thanTanks?! =D The new Fiat 500 is awesome, yes.
    You haven't been to the US, have you? :P
  • edited December 2008
    Fiats are the first thing you mention Omnutia?
    There are two Fiat 126s and a Doblo parked outside. Also, you would probably complain if I picked one of the others too.
  • Fiats are the first thing you mention Omnutia?
    There are two Fiat 126s and a Doblo parked outside. Also, you would probably complain if I picked one of the others too.
    I would. *imagines Omnutia typing "the Peugeot".* The problem is you used 'the' while you should have used 'like'. =P

You seriously had to look outside for a car brand? ¬___¬?
  • I want to point out an argument that has been made and no one has addressed.
    It has been said that if someone enjoys an activity that makes unnecessary use of a limited resource over which wars have been waged, hands funds over to unstable and corrupt governments AND the use of this resource contributes to air pollution which (regardless of global warming issues) has a negative effect on the environment (acid rain) and on human health (major respiratory diseases), then it is not wasteful or harmful.
    Does the enjoyment of any number of people really validate harm?
    Is it okay for someone to hunt an endangered species (a limited resource whose loss could throw a delicate ecosystem further out of whack) just because they enjoy it?
  • edited December 2008
    You seriously had to look outside for a car brand? ¬___¬?
    Nineless, you may want to stop with the huge attitude some day and learn what inference means.

@Mrs Macross, an interesting idea but you are using absolutes instead of a sliding scale. Petrol companies are going to be corrupt, the people who live in a country with oil are probably never going to see any of the money the oil produces and the environment is going to get ruined but instead of telling people to just stop using cars for recreation outright you could try and ask them to find better ways to continue doing what they're doing. i.e. (?) asking them to back legislation for the betterment of electric cars.
    edited December 2008
    I want to point out an argument that has been made and no one has addressed.
    It has been said that if someone enjoys an activity that makes unnecessary use of a limited resource over which wars have been waged, hands funds over to unstable and corrupt governments AND the use of this resource contributes to air pollution which (regardless of global warming issues) has a negative effect on the environment (acid rain) and on human health (major respiratory diseases), then it is not wasteful or harmful.
    Does the enjoyment of any number of people really validate harm?
    Is it okay for someone to hunt an endangered species (a limited resource whose loss could throw a delicate ecosystem further out of whack) just because they enjoy it?
    Touché.

I agree with the point you make, somewhat. In the case of hunting, such has to be regulated anyway. In the case of someone driving their car for fun, yes, I agree that the fuel used is a waste, to some degree, but how different is it from me laughing at a picture of a man's stretched up asshole on my computer? It too uses energy, energy that has been generated by burning the same resource that wars have been waged over. I don't think you can go and make people feel bad for doing something they enjoy. Besides that, hunters can hunt non-endangered species and have the same enjoyment out of hunting.

EDIT:
    Nineless, you may want to stop with the huge attitude some day and learn what inference means.
    What? I'm just asking. As reason to why you said "Fiat" you give that there are Fiats outside your window. At which point I wonder, if he had to look outside for a car brand, how does he know they are two 126's and a Doblo? No huge attitude, sir. Just asking.
    Post edited by ... on
  • It too uses energy, energy that has been generated by burning the same resource that wars have been waged over.
    Hydro-electric?