This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Comments

• edited December 2008
    That is just awesome.
    Deep down, they wish their daddies would buy them a stay-at-home server, too.
    Note: I mean the advertisement campaign; not the server itself.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Gotta love microsoft having a sense of humor.
  • That began kind of strangely Then it became hilarious. Then it started getting creepy.

Is there any reason to ever use a Microsoft server? I ask this as a serious question, because I don't see any reason not to use some kind of LAMP-y setup.
  • Is there any reason to ever use a Microsoft server? I ask this as a serious question, because I don't see any reason not to use some kind of LAMP-y setup.
    If your house is full of Microsoft stuff, and you have an XBox, and you use Windows Media Center, and you have Windows Desktops, a Windows Home Server is probably a good idea.
  • I was laughing so hard until the end. Since when were people persecuted for having servers?
  • Is there any reason to ever use a Microsoft server? I ask this as a serious question, because I don't see any reason not to use some kind of LAMP-y setup.
    Servers are handy if you like and/or need that sort of thing. If you're not geeky to start and want to set one up, you probably won't see much benefit from one.
  • Can someone think of a buzzword to encapsulate the idea that "If you don't know why you need it, you don't need it."?
  • Servers are handy if you like and/or need that sort of thing. If you're not geeky to start and want to set one up, you probably won't see much benefit from one.
    What the Microsoft Home Server provides is actually pretty unique. On the one hand it serves the same purpose as Apple's Time Capsule. It's a user-friendly NAS and backup machine, something which is very much needed in the Windows world. However, it also provides various user applications as well. Instead of putting your photos on Flickr, and trusting them to someone else's servers, you can put them on the server in your house. You'll be able to easily share them with friends and family without sharing them with the world. You'll also have easy remote access to your home network that is much easier than setting up a real VPN. If your house is full of Microsoft systems, and you aren't tech savvy enough to do otherwise, the home server is not too bad.
  • Can someone think of a buzzword to encapsulate the idea that "If you don't know why you need it, you don't need it."?
    Responsibility?
    Responsibility?
    Uh, no. It's needs assessment.
  • I read this a while back. Hilarious.
  • They watch the lights on your server go blinkety-blink. Blinkety blink.
    CREEPY, but hilarious! All Microsoft ads should be like this.