This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Boxee Netflix

edited December 2008 in Technology
As of today Boxee has Netflix. Wait, there's more.

It's actually better than the Roku because you can browse the library and add things to your instant queue while still in Boxee without having to use a web browser.

How about that?

Comments

• And this is superior to a shared network drive how? And what's the huge problem of using a web browser for netflix?
  • edited December 2008
    And this is superior to a shared network drive how? And what's the huge problem of using a web browser for netflix?
    It's all about user interface. You've obviously never tried to use a mouse and keyboard on a non-HD TV from the other side of the living room. It's not easy. Also, Boxee is a lot better at connecting to network drives than OSX.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • And this is superior to a shared network drive how? And what's the huge problem of using a web browser for netflix?
    It's all about user interface. You've obviously never tried to use a mouse and keyboard on a non-HD TV from the other side of the living room. It's not easy. Also, Boxee is a lot better at connecting to network drives than OSX.
    Actually I have used keyboard and mice from the other side of the room, it's no so bad. As for connecting network drives, everything in my house is using windows network shares and it all just.
  • Is there any way to get the Windows version pre-alpha if you missed the initial signup? I'm kinda of kicking myself, but I don't have time to back everything up and switch to Linux right now.
  • Is there any way to get the Windows version pre-alpha if you missed the initial signup? I'm kinda of kicking myself, but I don't have time to back everything up and switch to Linux right now.
    There is no Windows version available at the present time.
    What? I thought the admins said they were distrubuting the pre-alpha version to the 200 early signups for it...
    What? I thought the admins said they were distrubuting the pre-alpha version to the 200 early signups for it...
    I don't know what anyone said. I would read the Boxee blog for info. What I can tell you is that if I go to the Boxee download page right now there are only links for Ubuntu and OSX.
  • I wish they would add the ability to modify your que to the Xbox360 Netflix app. Does anyone know why they did not add that simple feature?
  • I wish they would add the ability to modify your que to the Xbox360 Netflix app. Does anyone know why they did not add that simple feature?
    The Roku doesn't have that feature either. So far, only the Boxee implementation has that feature.
  • I was able to get the Windows build. No Netflix implementation, it seems. Also, the programs seems to take huge issue with properly tagging and organizing my music library, which is a big problem when you have 65k songs to get in order...
  • I was able to get the Windows build. No Netflix implementation, it seems. Also, the programs seems to take huge issue with properly tagging and organizing my music library, which is a big problem when you have 65k songs to get in order...
    Every time I tried to add my collection to the boxee library, it crashed. Now I just browse over to the source without adding it to the library. Works much better that way. Also, the Netflix is only on the OSX version right now. They couldn't get it to work on AppleTV, no matter how hard they tried, and Netflix doesn't support Linux yet.
  • This sounds like a lot of fail right now, let me know when it's ready for actual use.
  • This sounds like a lot of fail right now, let me know when it's ready for actual use.
    It's alpha. When they say alpha, they mean alpha. Despite that, we've been using it with relatively great success for many moons now. Each update just makes it better and better.

Also, remember that Boxee is basically just XBMC, a free open-source project, with a lot of extra stuff added on top.
  • I'll give it a go when it reaches Beta status.