This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Server Rack Test

edited December 2008 in Video Games
A friend and I have started a rack server hosting business. We are testing some of our new hardware with a Teamfortress 2 server. So if we can fill the server up with 32 people we can get some tests in to see what we are capable of. We will be online around 2:00 PM EST till whenever. Server IP to join is 94.75.214.148 (should be online by the time most people read this) or look for Sycar on the steam Geeknights group and join game. Thanks for your help and see you in game.

Comments

• Wow, Congratulations! What's your pricing?
  • Thank you! It depends on what you want/need. Gameserver, webhost, Ftp, or root access to a virtual server... we are just got up and running up so we don't have a website detailing all our stuff yet.
  • What are you using for your backbone and where are your servers physically located?
  • If you're still doing this later tonight, then we can probably join in. Say, after 7:00pm. ^_~

I'll play TF2 one more time, if for no other reason than to show off how awesome I am. =P
  • What are you using for your backbone and where are your servers physically located?
    Good question and here is the list.

AMS-IX -Amsterdam
    BNIX - Brussels
    LINX -London
    DE-CIX -Frankfurt
    NYIIX -New York
    VIX -Vienna
    NETNOD -Stockholm
    PL-IX -Warsaw
    Swissix -Zurich
    NIX-Prague
    Espanix -Madrid

We are on the three largest internet exchanges in Europe or the world depending on who you ask. lol The servers are physically located in Amsterdam by the way.

And Rym I really want to see how awesome you are. :) I called you out in Left4Dead so here you can redeem yourself.
  • Do you lease or own the servers?
  • We lease our servers.
  • Does the company(s) you lease from do all the server support for you or only hardware support?

If you plan on hosting multiple sites off of any one server you need to be sure that no one you host breaks the terms of the company you lease from. You don't want one bad apple knocking one of your servers offline because they start using the server to spam or other bad things.

Personally I would rather resell servers through the main companie's affiliate program rather than resell leased servers. That's just me though...
  • Haha that is a good point. The company we lease from does the hardware support. We control root access on each server so if someone did do something against the ToS we have 24hours to shut them down. *shrug* It gives me something to do while I wait for my other computers to render animations.