This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Sony is making another Walkman.

Comments

• I only end up with about 13gb of my favourite songs on my phone.
    Everything else I just stream from Google Music library (or tracks not owned yet).
  • Ooooh, you guys are bringing back fond Zune memories.
    I remember the software being shit, though, right? It's all a bit hazy...
  • I don't think this Walkman is a terrible idea, but it fills a niche market for music fanatics.
  • Ooooh, you guys are bringing back fond Zune memories.
    I remember the software being shit, though, right? It's all a bit hazy...

The software is not great but it is a million times better than iTunes. It actively searched for new music in the folders you told it to look in and more importantly, if it saw a video that it could play but your Zune could not, it would convert the file to be playable on your Zune. That was the best feature of all time back in the day of limited video codecs.

• I remember back when I had a sony ericsonn walkman phone. Replaced my mp3 at the time because it had a memory card. Woah.

Who needs sync software when you have drag and drop.
  • edited January 2015

The software is not great but it is a million times better than iTunes. It actively searched for new music in the folders you told it to look in and more importantly, if it saw a video that it could play but your Zune could not, it would convert the file to be playable on your Zune. That was the best feature of all time back in the day of limited video codecs.

No argument here. Even when all I knew was iTunes I still had some idea about it's unnecessary frustrations. The Zune's auto-converting functionality truly was a gods-send.
    As for my complaints, all I remember is that the Zune software wouldn't allow me more manual control over presentation of media and it drove me nuts. I've embraced a more lenient philosophy since then, however, so I might find it great now.
    Post edited by McTenderloin on
  • CLEARLY ALL AUDIO NEEDS TO BE STEREO AT MINIMUM.

These people. Ugh... just ugh...

I am sorry but the original masters from the 80% of The Beatles albums is much superior and awesome in Mono, at least on the LPs.
  • edited January 2015
    Well, we were talking about how I produce FNPL, which is in mono at 80kbps CBR. She was saying how that is terrible and I should feel bad. I'm saying that it makes the file sizes small, we don't need it stereo, and that the quality isn't reduced by having it at that bitrate. She is a purist. I'm practical.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Erwin said:

I am sorry but the original masters from the 80% of The Beatles albums is much superior and awesome in Mono, at least on the LPs.

I believe you mean %50, because Revolver, Sgt Pepper, The White, Magical Mystery Tour, and Yellow Submarine all need stereo.
  • The Beach Boys should be listened to in Mono. That's what Brian Wilson mixed in.
  • edited January 2015

HMTKSteve said:
    It's a good idea but the cost is mad.

Plus nearly everyone shown listening to the music had headphones which cost about $1000 or more. I lost it when the dude with the earbuds said it was better (how does he even know?).

But no, it's a terrible idea for the same reasons that Victor has listed, if I'm at home with a proper amp then yes but if I'm walking around with IEMs, all I need is a phone.

Come to think of it I've never bought an MP3 player, I would always have either a PDA or phone to use. I did own an iPod for a few months that was given to me. It was annoying to carry 2 devices, keys and a wallet, I often just left the iPod and took my phone.
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • Even better, if you're home, run the files through your receiver into your headphones.
  • Greg said:

Erwin said:

I believe you mean %50, because Revolver, Sgt Pepper, The White, Magical Mystery Tour, and Yellow Submarine all need stereo.
    Nope.

I don't like the look of it. I like the idea of a grippy back, but the texture looks ugly. The buttons look too reccessed. Looks like a frankenstein of design decisions.
  • What the fucking fuck? That's awful!
  • What the fucking fuck? That's awful!

Words best used to berate the design team.

I r not surprised. Sony has always had mostly terrible looking products IMO.

Microsoft had great ergonomic design for the Xbox 360 products, they've since dropped the ball everywhere else.

Samsung has been doing some good design, but I hate that their trying to move into software now. They drop support for product features very quickly in support of newer versions of whatever the fuck.

Google...do the right thing!
  • RymRym
    edited January 2015
    That's aimed at 40-50 years olds who are "into music."

It's reminiscent of 80s era audio tech. That's what they're going for. Easy to use and comforting for old people who want to be "into music."
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I totally understand the look and feel that Sony is aiming for. Working as a sound technician, a lot of the gear we still used that was designed and made in the 80's had similar finished to the back of that ugly monstrosity, and the lumps and details fit right it.
  • I totally understand the look and feel that Sony is aiming for. Working as a sound technician, a lot of the gear we still used that was designed and made in the 80's had similar finished to the back of that ugly monstrosity, and the lumps and details fit right it.

Yeah. I think there's definitely an untapped market of making reasonably priced non-woo modern audio equipment that is retro stylish. Why can't a surround sound system be made of wood?
  • Apreche said:

I totally understand the look and feel that Sony is aiming for. Working as a sound technician, a lot of the gear we still used that was designed and made in the 80's had similar finished to the back of that ugly monstrosity, and the lumps and details fit right it.

Yeah. I think there's definitely an untapped market of making reasonably priced non-woo modern audio equipment that is retro stylish. Why can't a surround sound system be made of wood?
    They do make speakers with wood stylongs. Most of them are rather expensive though. When I was working in Home Theater, people would find the smallest reasons to not like something. Even a TV being silver instead of black might cause problems. For the mass market, it's best to not rock the boat on your designs. Wood might also retain too much heat for receivers to be put in it.
  • Dazzle369 said:

Looks like a Sony device.

Fixed that for you.
  • Dazzle369 said:
    A nice number. It matches the pixel width of my old monitors.
  • Dazzle369 said:
    You can get the Astell & Kern 100K for less than half that price.

• I don't want any mp3 player for any of those prices lol
  • Seriously, this and a big micro SD card are what you want. It plays FLAC just fine. You can even get the older Clip+ if you don't care about playing aac files. The newer Clip Sport does not integrate files from your SD and internal memory in the browser and just seems to be a lesser product, but is more commonly available and is also probably fine.