This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Episode 060720 - The Zeal

edited July 2006 in GeekNights
We made this episode for the sole purpose of stirring up lots of discussion. Show us that you are in the 10% of people that interacts with GeekNights and post something. Also put here your opinions on the format of the show.

Comments

• As for the demand for the interesting and entirely unrelated news bits, I liken such a format to the Simpsons and Futurama, that is, some of the funniest episodes have beginning bits that are entirely unrelated to the main plot in anyway shape or form. I see the "news" and "things of the day" as a great way to crack some jokes, be informative and unpredictable before you move to the main subject material. I really appreciate all the segments you guys produce, as for geekback I still feel it is too soon for me to judge whether it is a valid replacement for the second news bit; thus far it has proved interesting and entertaining. If it starts to bite I'll be sure to let you know. . . .Hey, maybe you'll piss enough people off by dropping the second news they'll send some real hate mail! Alas, we can only hope ;-)
  • edited July 2006
    Great episode! Mind if I make an article of that wonderful way you explain this idea.
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • edited July 2006
    I'm still listening to the episode, but I would like to chime in on the news/geekback/libsyn issue. It seems a lot of people listen to the news & things of the day of episodes covering topics they don't care for. If the issue with libsyn is a bandwidth limitation rather than storage (I'm sure you've said which it is, but I'm tired), it may behoove you to split the episodes into news/things of the day and actual content. I can personally say I'd probably consume a little less of your bandwidth if you did this, as I would skip certain anime and game episodes, opting only to hear the first bits. My google homepage has consolidated my news feeds for me, so I don't run to slashdot, El Reg, etc, instead just getting the most recent stuff from my google panels; I've noticed I miss some things because of this, and your show brings a lot of those things to light for me. The fact that your coverage is very entertaining is also quite nice.

As for the geekback segment..while I lament the loss of some news, the segment's been pretty entertaining thus far, so I vote "yeah" on it.

In short: News hilarious. Geekback great. Content great. I want more news, but don't make the podcast "un-fun" for you. Hope you get the libsyn thing taken care of. Also, "anime" should probably be added to your spellcheck dictionary.

Further also: Godwin should not be considered an inside joke. It's been around for 15 years now, never losing it's appropriateness. I'd say it should be considered what Godwin himself might have called common "net.knowledge"
    Post edited by belarm on
  • edited July 2006
    I agree that as technology gets better so will the content. For instance some the creators of the next "geeknights" won't have the storage problem and will be able to make the podcast better and longer. By the way do you have 5 libsyn accounts or do you split them up on the feed side of things? If you have 5 accounts scrap the main one, put the specials on thursday feed and you should have enough space to do those 90 minute podcasts. Hopefully itunes will add torrent support or a libsyn succsesor will come along soon.
    Post edited by blast flame on
  • Just to be clear, we use Libsyn for one thing and one thing only: storage. We have disabled or otherwise ignore ALL of their other functionality. We have one maximal account. The issue isn't bandwidth, it's space. Also, it's not a critical issue: we're not out. When we say shorter episodes, we mean 45-55 minutes instead of two hours, breaking up longer topics into multiple shows, as we'd planned from the start. We don't mean cutting ourselves short.

The concern was mostly that we were going longer and longer every day, a trend that there's no way we could continue. We're in the midst of a typhoon of content now, but we have to put forth the discipline to hold off on some of it for when there's a drought. Long episodes will still be fairly common, but we're going to reserve them for topics that truly deserve them. A 2 hour show where we review three anime would be better off as three 45-50 minute shows instead.
  • I like the idea of the geekback, it carries some of the conversation of the forums into the show itself in a more meaningful way. But I also like the news segments and do not want to see them disappear from your show's format. You guys do the TWiT thing very well, and that's one of the things that I think works well in a audio format, depth instead of breadth of information. I also like that you try to pair up a news bit with the show of the day, that allows you to cover a great deal more ground then TWitT's format allows.

If to keep your shows down to a reasonable length you have to cut back to one news bit I think that's okay, but one of the reason I like the part of the show that is the commentary on the news.

Also, I have to reverse some of my comments from several months ago, where I said I don't care how long your shows run. I still like the long shows, but some days that means you guys are the only podcast that I end up hearing.
    Upon advice of the Webcomics thread I'm working my way through Boasas and found this appropriate comic. Now whenever I listen to AWO I'll have a mental image of three Slithers talking to oneanother.
  • Hi hello. I was the one who sent that email about not getting inside jokes. The fact that it took me this long to post in the forums after listening should be able to convey something. I hope. I don't have the luxury of spending hours online since I just don't. Plus my computer is kinda broken... Yeah, thanks for reading my email. And now whenever I hear a joke I don't get, I know where to go.
  • I'd comment on the whole "zeal" thing, but you guys mostly nailed it. We've already had the creativity argument, but I definitely agree that those with the most zeal are the ones who go out and create content for others to enjoy.

I do slightly disagree with the defintion of "geek" that you're using, but only somewhat. That'll be a discussion for later.
  • There's no useful definition, so I made one. I defined "Geek" and "Nerd" solely to make the terms actually useful. The actual original statement I made (in an email to Anime World Order) was:

"To me, a geek is someone who has deep, sometimes esoteric interests, yet shares a common bond with others who have similar depths: an anime geek will get along just fine with a videogame geek or a comic geek. A nerd has the depth, but not the common bond. A comic nerd isn't comfortable hanging out with non-comic nerds. "
  • A nerd isn't comfortable hanging out with anyone. If they encounter other nerds of the same variety they can not interact beyond penis-measurement. They either gloat in order to see who has the better collection or compete to see who knows more trivia.
  • Do you think that creating things for your own consumption without giving it out to the larger community is zeal? In one of my major hobbys (boardgames) people create things all the time that will never be shown to anyone else that plays. For example: player aid cards, new maps, terrain, intricate house rules, total mods... The list is endless.

Now, I used to do this all the time. Then I found Boardgamegeek.com and I actively put up pictures and participate in discussions about such things. But there are still a whole lot of people, even if they read the Geek daily, that create things but don't post them. I would say that this is still zeal on their part as it is not simple consumption of the product as sold. I would also say it's a step past the ten percent classification as it takes a hell of a lot of creativity, energy, time, etc. I think things like this could warrant their own percentile though I would not know what that would be since I have done no studies on the subject.

But then... Even if it's not out to the community at large, the people someone like that plays with still see it and use it so I guess it might be a bad example.

How about people that are into things like biking or some other thing that they are big into but is still, at heart, a solitary experience? They may do major mods well into zeal zone but not actively tell anyone about it.
  • edited July 2006
    Mostly, my thing is to try to manage the scope of the terms. A geek today is different than a geek from 40 years ago, so trying to use one word to encompass all of geekdom throughout history is tough. I've run into this with my coworkers, some of whom are the classical type of geek, and do not consider me to be a geek.

It really stems from the whole zeal thing again. As you guys pointed out, it used to take a whole lot to be really into something, which is why the classical geek was really focused in one or perhaps two areas of geekdom. They were also perceived as non-social because the amount of effort required to be into something basically meant that their whole being was defined by that one area, so they could only talk to people of that same depth of interest.

In contrast, the geek of today can have many areas of deep interest, and so can communicate readily with other geeks. Most still have a primary geekdom, but I think the prevalence of secondary geekdoms is what allows the communication between geek types. It seems that the classical type of geek is really the nerd of today; they can only deal with people in the same domain, whereas the geek can deal with many domains.

That brings up the problem of using "geek" to refer to geeks at large; since we still have many people who were classical geeks, there can be a problem communicating what is exactly meant by the term geek. And of course, popular perception still has the geek as some antisocial mouthbreathing troglodyte, which is really what we call nerds.

Hence, I argue for more precise terminology.

But then again, I am a scientist; precise terminology is my lifeblood.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited July 2006
    Do you think that creating things for your own consumption without giving it out to the larger community is zeal? In one of my major hobbys (boardgames) people create things all the time that will never be shown to anyone else that plays. For example: player aid cards, new maps, terrain, intricate house rules, total mods... The list is endless.
    While they may not be spreading it as far as they could through the internet, they are at least spreading these ideas to those they play the games with. Unless they're making some kind of crazy solitare mod. Then they're just punks who never learned how to share in pre-K.
    Post edited by Phantasos on
  • I think if you actually make something new, then you've got the zeal and you're in the 1%. Let's say someone cretes something and chooses not to share it, even though it would take relatively little effort to share it, and other people would take great pleasure in partaking it. That doesn't mean you aren't in the 1% is just means you're also a terrible person. Did you know there are people out there who make fansubs, and then don't share them? Or they share them only on IRC instead of bittorrent. There are people out there who make really awesome, entertaining anime music videos, and they don't show them to anyone. These people are still creators, they did make something awesome. However, they are even bigger assholes than I am, and therefore must be destroyed.
  • edited April 2009
    I just listened to this episode and I thought I should share some jewelry that I made. Does this count as zeal?

video game necklace

Pac Man Necklace
    Post edited by Amihan on
  • These people are still creators, they did make something awesome. However, they are even bigger assholes than I am, and therefore must be destroyed.
    My suspicion is that these people are just really shy about their work. Or, in the case of fansubs at least, just don't want to get into legal trouble and so only share with closer friends.