This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Cable Router

edited January 2009 in Technology
I am having the hardest time trying to find an all-in-one cable modem and router. Searching for "cable router" does no good because so many routers are sold as a "cable/dsl router" which is just wrong because neither service is part of the router.

I have found a good number of routers that support xDSL but I can't seem to find any that will take the coax from the cable company.

Comments

• I don't think such a thing exists. Your cable modem is carrier-specific. It needs to be configured with the cable companies firmware and such. You have to have two separate boxes. One cable modem from the cable company, then a separate router.
  • edited January 2009
    I think Scott's right on this one. Converting the network signal to an analog (?) signal seems like a job for a seperate box. It also means you'd have to keep the router near a cable outlet. [Not quite sure how cable works]
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited January 2009
    This is what I feared. When the cable company said I could either pay $5 a month to lease the modem or provide my own I figured some company would have created a cable router.

I have found plenty of cable modems that can be purchased.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Why don't you follow up and ask them if they can recommend anything?

Also: What would people think to buying wireless routers second hand?
  • edited January 2009
    You can have my old Motoroloa surfboard for $20 bucks. Its a run of the mill cable modem. I think I've got it around here somewhere.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • You can have my old Motoroloa surfboard for $20 bucks. Its a run of the mill cable modem. I think I've got it around here somewhere.
    Motorola Surfboards are the backbone of the cable industry. They're solid boxes that will be right up there with Twinkies and cockroaches during the nuclear apocalypse.
    I don't think such a thing exists.
    Regrettably, they do. They're awful pieces of equipment. Every manufacturer of a modem with integrated router has taken the cheap route and used communal chips to process both the routing and the muxing/demuxing of the coax signal. From the architectural/engineering point of view, chipsets that are designed to work well as muxer controllers are ill suited for routing, and vice versa. As well, they also really don't like playing with each other, or cooperating with the same external monitoring IC. To put both devices in the same box is pointless, as they require entirely separate hardware. Every attempt (that I have seen) to have coax modems and routers share the same hardware has ended in horrible failure, whether it be in the form of horrendously low speeds or hardware instability (or both).