This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Awesome geeky merchandise?

edited January 2009 in Everything Else
So do any of you have any cool, geeky accessories/merch (wall scrolls/posters, plushies, clothing, hats, toys, trinkets, etc.) that you guys want to mention? Or just talk about? Really, just in general cool merchandise that you've seen or accumulated over the years, i.e. the Cactuar plushie the FRC was seeking at a con, or the Utena wall scroll mentioned on an episode. Pictures would be cool, too.

All I've really got is a Cthulu plushie and a Final Fantasy wall scroll.

Comments

I can't decipher what is going on there. Is he being eaten by a mutant dog? Has the flesh from his leg already been stripped off? The blurriness makes it look freaky as hell. Maybe it's because I don't know what game/anime/film/whatever it is this comes from.
  • I found a police-oriented shop that specialized in making sweatshirts and stuff with police logos. They didn't actually sell uniforms, but they sold those mock-turtlenecks with the gold lettering on the neck. You've probably seen cops wearing those - they have "CPD" or 'NYPD" or something similar on the neck. I ordered one and asked that they put "GCPD" on the neck.

That was back in '96. I still have it. Gary Oldman wore one in Dark Knight that looked exactly like mine.
  • It's funny that Pete, Scott, and I were discussing this from a very different perspective last Saturday evening.

Basically, these things are simply social currency. By acquiring them, you're creating connections with other people mediated by brands. The Cthulhu plushie is a brand that identifies you to other people who have also bought into the brand, and provides a context for social interaction mediated by the common brand identity.
  • It's funny that Pete, Scott, and I were discussing this from a very different perspective last Saturday evening.

Basically, these things are simply social currency. By acquiring them, you're creating connections with other people mediated bybrands. The Cthulhu plushie is a brand that identifies you to other people who have also bought into the brand, and provides a context for social interaction mediated by the common brand identity.
    That's how the majority of interaction occurs, really. We use brands as simple identifiers to develop initial cursory connections. The hope is that the connections will be explored deeper. It's the whole "wear a geeky t-shirt to attract other geeks" idea. The question is whether or not people are really anything more than an extensive collection of various "brands." I'm inclined to think not (going along with my "no free will" argument), but I can understand how people would like to think otherwise.

Basically, these things are simply social currency. By acquiring them, you're creating connections with other people mediated bybrands. The Cthulhu plushie is a brand that identifies you to other people who have also bought into the brand, and provides a context for social interaction mediated by the common brand identity.
    Yeah, that's one aspect of it. Another is just personal enjoyment. Really, it's just all in good fun unless you take it a bit too far with a collection or something like that.
  • e use brands as simple identifiers to develop initial cursory connections. The hope is that the connections will be explored deeper.
    But at the same time, each brand limits the total breadth of interaction possible to a certain scope. I feel that many popular or common brands are limiting to the point of preventing any real communication between people.
  • edited January 2009
    I actually buy plushies because I play with them and cuddle them; I get geek related ones because they are more fun to play with (Cthulu, Totoro, and Gir have a love triangle going on right now). I don't buy wall scrolls because I prefer other formats and kinds of art for decoration.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I actually buy plushies because I play with them and cuddle them; I get geek related ones because they are more fun to play with (Cthulu, Totoro, and Gir have a love triangle going on right now). I don't buy wall scrolls because I prefer other formats and kinds of art for decoration.
    I adore plushies. I currently have a Yoshi, Tare Panda, Kon-kon (Bleach), and Kyo Sohma cat greeting drivers behind me in my car. I would have more plushies, but I honestly don't know where else to display them. I also think if I kept them in the apartment it would turn into chew toy for my kitten.

I also have an onigiri plushie, along with many Mario foam key chains. I honestly should just take pictures. Eventually when I get a few more pictures framed, I'll take a pics of my apartment to share how geeky it is.

I am also currently making my own geeky merch with my sewing projects. As soon as I'm done with them, I'll be posting those as well.
  • e use brands as simple identifiers to develop initial cursory connections. The hope is that the connections will be explored deeper.
    But at the same time, each brand limits the total breadth of interaction possible to a certain scope. I feel that many popular or common brands are limiting to the point of preventing any real communication between people.
    You guys are thinking WAY to much about this. Seriously, you had nothing better to do then talk about this. I take it gin was involved prior to this conversation.

I do agree that we put a large emphasis on visual impressions. If someone is wearing a piece of clothing endorsing something that I also find interesting, I am more likely to talk to them. If someone is wearing clothing that I don't agree with, I may avoid them entirely. I agree that their is an influence but the level of influence varies from person to person. I know this is a weird analogy but I think people see clothing in much of a similar way as birds do feathers.
  • RymRym
    edited January 2009
    You guys are thinking WAY to much about this
    The point is that the brand is always there influencing the interaction. If I'm interacting with someone in the context of, say, videogames, then certain topics are out-of-bounds and certain messages or symbols are interpreted in particular ways. I have to introduce a new brand, or context, in order to expand the interaction beyond videogames. The social currency provides a way of immediately identifying the scope of interaction that can be assumed by all involved parties without danger.

The problem is that not all brands are created equal. The "Democrat" brand is more limiting than the "political enthusiast" brand or the "debator" brand. Too many people accept and use common, limiting brands, influencing unduly their interactions with the world. They let the brands they use define them. They accept the brands of others too easily, and are too slow to define their own. Some brands carry such weight that, if a person becomes defined by them, then the person no longer interacts at all: only the brand does. Interacting with individuals in the contexts of these ultimate brands is futile, as they will never present anything that I could not get from any other user of the brand. There is no longer meaningful exchange.

Think very carefully about the brands you wield and allow to be wielded against you, and think very carefully about the brands that define you. Wherever possible, defy brands, or create your own.

As for thinking too much about this, you do realize that I'm basically thinking about every conscious action I take on about this level every hour of every day, right? ;^) If you treat life like a German board game, and analyze it on a similar level, you'll win more often than not.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • The real question for me is what merchandise I have that is NOT geeky.

To avoid a long list some of my favorites are:
    A sweat bubble
    An ellipsis bubble
    FMA chibi figures
    Dragon Quest VIII figures
    Gurren Lagann tee
    Various gamer related tees
    Various geeky pins
    Togepi, Astro Boy and Menchi plushies

I think I'll stop there.

Anyway, I simply think that our social currency are just good conversation starters. Especially at cons!
  • The only geeky thing I have that most people end up seeing is my Eva bag. Yes, one of those ugly, too-small Mythwear bags with the Nerv symbol on it. Everything else is on my desk, or a book of some form.
  • I have a Domo Kun plushie that stays on my car. The guards always give him a strange look when I roll up.
  • I actually buy plushies because I play with them and cuddle them; I get geek related ones because they are more fun to play with (Cthulu, Totoro, and Gir have a love triangle going on right now). I don't buy wall scrolls because I prefer other formats and kinds of art for decoration.
    I adore plushies. I currently have a Yoshi, Tare Panda, Kon-kon (Bleach), and Kyo Sohma cat greeting drivers behind me in my car. I would have more plushies, but I honestly don't know where else to display them.
    I sprinkle them about my house for decoration, but I treat them mostly as toys. I think the social currency idea breaks down if you are not displaying them out in public. I keep mine in my house and anyone in my house already knows I about my interests.
    To say that geeky merchandise is ONLY social currency is myopic. I like toys. I buy toys to play with/cuddle. I do not take my toys out when I go and meet new people (I am not a creepy dollfie-girl). Some geeky clothing/gear can function as social currency, but I know that a lot of us in the crew (and in the geek community) see that two T-Shirts are available for the same price, one is plain, the other geeky. We will often pick the geeky because it appeals to us, not necessarily to appeal to others.