This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Net Slang

edited January 2009 in Everything Else
So, I've been working on some translations, and surfing a lot of Japanese websites and I wanted some help in exchange for a lesson.

In Japanese, the word DQN is 2-chan slang for someone who is really stupid. ( It's pronounced "dokyun") Like, totally full of fail stupid.

What would be the internet equivalent word in English for someone who is an idiot and totally full of fail?

Comments

• Nub? n00b? Newb?
  • edited January 2009
    Epic moron? Epic n00b?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I haven't seen something that fits that description around the English internets. At most the person is quoted, or referenced followed by just 'fail', or just standard insults telling the person he/she is stupid. Idiot also works I guess.

Japanese internet slang is strange though. wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww for big lulz. English internet slang is also wacked if you think about it.
  • wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    That drives me crazy on Nico. I think it looks annoying.
  • edited January 2009
    What would be the internet equivalent word in English for someone who is an idiot and totally full of fail?
    Omnutia.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Wow, this is interesting. Perhaps because the English language has a much larger selection of insults, there hasn't been a need to create new ones in Internets slang. Whereas in Japan, they could really use a few extras besides bakabakabakabakabakabaka.
  • edited January 2009
    Omnutia.
    That was unexpected.

Could you give us an example? Both the English and Japanese? English usually uses fail in the sense of a verb.
  • What would be the internet equivalent word in English for someone who is an idiot and totally full of fail?
    Omnutia.
    Ethan Frome.
  • That drives me crazy on Nico. I think it looks annoying.
    It is annoying. Thankfully, I can't read Japanese, so I have a great reason to turn that stuff off.

What about facepalm(.jpg)? This has been used whenever someone is/was acting extremely stupid, failing to a great extend at what said person was trying to accomplish.
  • What would be the internet equivalent word in English for someone who is an idiot and totally full of fail?
    Omnutia.
    That was unexpected.

Could you give us an example? Both the English and Japanese? English usually uses fail in the sense of a verb.
    That omnutia at the DQ totally 'nutiaed up my Blizzard.
  • edited January 2009
    Omnutia.
    That was unexpected.

That omnutia at the DQ totally 'nutiaed up my Blizzard.
    Unexpected and very witty. 'Nutiaed sounds kinda interesting.
  • edited January 2009
    'Nutiaed sounds kinda interesting.
    Whenever I see your name, I think of this animal.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited January 2009
    'nutiaed sounds kinda interesting.
    Whenever I see your name, I think ofthis animal.
    Damn you Joe! You broke the pyramid before it got to five!
  • 'nutiaed sounds kinda interesting.
    Whenever I see your name, I think ofthis animal.
    Damn you Joe! You broke the pyramid before it got to five!
    Stop with the pyramids, you nutia.
  • edited January 2009
    Doesn't work as well without adding something to it, looks too close to *fake cockney accent* "oi nutta".

Not that this isn't an insightful and entertaining tangent but:
    I don't think there is a word to describe someone who passively fails just by existing. For a better understanding of the word Donkyun, someone wrote a blog post about it.
  • edited January 2009
    Whenever I see Omnutia I think of this for some reason.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • Omnutia was originally a word I made up just so I'd always get the same signup on any site.
  • Whenever I see Omnutia I think ofthisfor some reason.
    That's how I pronounced it until I actually took at good look at his name. ^_^
  • edited August 2009
    Real name is Fred McDonald, BTW. Yoroshiku.
    I'm really lucky that my dad reserved FredMcD.com for me back in 2000.
  • I always think of "omni" and "minutia".
  • I just think "tiger bunny" and leave it at that. Also tits.
  • edited January 2009
    Also tits.
    Don't tell them! Most people still think I'm a guy.
    Oh fuck. Whisper fail.
  • I have this picture in my head of a gorillaz styled punk-girl tossing a red grenade.
    Could you sketch that for me? Also, I always imagined the grenade being yellow but red would stand out more.
  • I have this picture in my head of a gorillaz styled punk-girl tossing a red grenade.
    Could you sketch that for me? Also, I always imagined the grenade being yellow but red would stand out more.
    Questionmarks. Omnusha, did you fail twice in a row at whispering? :]
  • edited January 2009
    Clicked "Quote" instead of "Whisper back". I take it noone fell for the first one though.
    It doesn't really matter. This topic is hardly consistent.

Who's Omnusha? Nvm.

As this thread has derailed and rolled down a cliff, I'd like to say I'm planning out how to properly re-launch my comic magazine. Will keep progress posted on Suffice and my blog.
  • Hey Emily, I think the equivalent to a DQN would be a /b/tard. They both act in similar ways (in relation to futaba/2ch/4chan), and I think they may be interchangeable. What do you guys think?
  • Hey Emily, I think the equivalent to a DQN would be a /b/tard. They both act in similar ways (in relation to futaba/2ch/4chan), and I think they may be interchangeable. What do you guys think?
    The only difference is that /b/tards call themselves that. I doubt that a DQN calls him or herself that. DQN is an insult, /b/tard less so/not.
  • edited January 2009
    Yes, but from the outside observer they are both derogatory. I equate it to black kids calling each other "nigger nigga'," no?
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on