This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Yet another computer build thread, help appreciated.

edited January 2009 in Technology
I am about ready to take the plunge and build my first computer.

I have been using Ubuntu for a couple of years so I will be using that as the OS. I basically took most of the parts suggestions from this story on Tom's Hardware about building a $600 gaming PC. This PC won't be dual booted and mainly serve as an upgrade for my Frankenstein's monster of a Pentium 4 that has been rebuilt enough times I think it getting close to the end of its useful life.

Here is the link to the Newegg wishlist of the parts I was thinking of using for the build. With the mail in rebates the price will be under $700 which I thought was a pretty decent price. I am planning of using a software RAID 1 hence the two hard drives.

Any suggestions as to what I should use differently as far as parts? Other suggestions welcomed as well.

Thanks

Comments

• edited January 2009
    Why so much graphics power on a Linux box?
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited January 2009
    I think this is pretty good. Though, you could just get a single 1TB Barracuda for like $106. Also, why the CPU cooler? Safety? I don't really think it's necessary.

As an afterthought, is a 430w power supply enough? I don't really want to take the time to add it up, I'm just wondering.

Edit: Lackofcheese also makes a great point.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • FYI, the manufacturer species a minimum power supply rating of 450W for that GPU. Take that as you will.
  • edited January 2009
    CPU cooler is a waste. The Core 2 Duo retail will come with a cooler in the box. Use that one. It's perfectly fine, and super quiet.

Why are people going to ATi? NVidia is the win.

Also, it is true, why do you need a mega video card for Ubuntu? Are you going to be using Blender or something to make 3D animations? Are you going to be trying to get DirectX games to work in Wine? If you aren't really going to use the 3d, you can get a video card like this one. It's very modern, and can actually do some awesome stuff. It's also super cheap, but still have two DVI ports and TV out. If you do really want better 3d, maybe to install windows and do gaming later, you can get this or this. The card I have is almost identical to the first one of those, but it's an 8800. My card can play every game just fine, so that 9800 should be even better. The second card is almost the same, only cheaper. Don't get any of those stupid cards that take up two slots.

As for the power supply, you can get the earthwatts that's basically the same, but cheaper. There's also a case combo deal going on, so check that out.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited January 2009
    FYI, the manufacturer species a minimum power supply rating of 450W for that GPU. Take that as you will.
    Oh, good catch. Also, I just noticed that the PSU had some pretty bad reviews where the Earthawatts gets like almost all 5s. Newegg reviews are usually pretty trustworthy, unlike Amazon reviews.

Also, people need to be aware of a problem Rym encountered. Most PSUs these days follow a new ATX specifiction. The new spec requires that the motherboard draw at least one amp on a certain line. If the motherboard doesn't draw at least one amp, it won't boot. So it's possible that certain motherboard/PSU combinations won't boot, and the PSU will just turn off, even if both parts are not broken in any way.

Go with this PSU if you want to get more power.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited January 2009
    Wow, thanks for the fast responses!

I removed the CPU cooler (added on by Tom's Hardware for over clocking purposes) and went with the bundled case and power supply that Scott suggested.

As for the mega graphics card I had it as a starting point I took from the same Tom's Hardware article. I will definately look at the other graphic suggestions.

This keeps getting cheaper and cheaper, I like it!

EDIT: I went with the first graphics card Scott suggested (can't beat the price!) and if all the mail in rebates come through the final price will be $517.92 + S&H. Holy crap!
    Post edited by JohnU on
  • Remember kids. My computer is almost perfeclty quiet, and can play the Crysis demo with everything turned on at full framerate and 1680x1050.

You can get the exact same computer as I have, with a 9800GT instead of an 8800GT and a faster Core 2 Duo, for the same price I paid months ago. The only price difference really is going to be more or less drives.

Don't forget you need an optical drive.
  • edited January 2009
    Remember kids. My computer is almost perfeclty quiet, and can play the Crysis demo with everything turned on at full framerate and 1680x1050.

You can get the exact same computer as I have, with a 9800GT instead of an 8800GT and a faster Core 2 Duo, for the same price I paid months ago. The only price difference really is going to be more or less drives.

Don't forget you needan optical drive.
    My computer struggles to play it (25 fps) at max, and that's at 1920x1200. I also have a better CPU. I think I need to reinstall windows, because it's getting bogged down. I hate how windows gets so much slower after extended use.

And I know my monitor is also slowing it down.
    Post edited by Nine Boomer on
  • Remember kids. My computer is almost perfeclty quiet, and can play the Crysis demo with everything turned on at full framerate and 1680x1050.

Don't forget you needan optical drive.
    I have a few optical drives around so I will re-use one of them. When I finally run them to death I will get a new one. I should have mentioned that. Thanks again Scott.
  • I have a few optical drives around so I will re-use one of them. When I finally run them to death I will get a new one. I should have mentioned that. Thanks again Scott.
    That's good. Just keep in mind that if they aren't SATA, you will have to use an old ribbon cable. I think it's worth it to have a computer that has no ribbon cables.
  • My computer struggles to play it (25 fps) at max, and that's at 1920x1200. I also have a better CPU. I think I need to reinstall windows, because it's getting bogged down. I hate how windows gets so much slower after extended use.

And I know my monitor is also slowing it down.
    Windows does get slower over time, but not that much slower. You probably have some viruses or malwares if you are being slowed down so much.

Also, 1920x1200 is pushing it a bit. Try picking a lower resolution that has the same aspect ratio. The monitor should upscale it, so it will still be full screen.
  • I have a few optical drives around so I will re-use one of them. When I finally run them to death I will get a new one. I should have mentioned that. Thanks again Scott.
    That's good. Just keep in mind that if they aren't SATA, you will have to use an old ribbon cable. I think it's worth it to have a computer that has no ribbon cables.
    Good point. Keeping this build as clean as possible inside should help me out as well. I will add the optical drive, heck the price is right.
  • The parts are winging their way to me as I type. The next question I have is . . . What version (32 or 64 bit) of Ubuntu should I get? I only have 4 gig of ram but the MOBO does have 4 slots so future expansion isn't out of the question.
  • What version (32 or 64 bit) of Ubuntu should I get?
    Do you have a 32bit or 64bit processor?
  • I am using a core 2 duo for this build.
  • I am usinga core 2 duofor this build.
    That's a 64-bit processor, so either the 32-bit or 64-bit versions will work. The 64-bit version will probably be better, but you might have problems with a few things here and there if they are not yet 64-bit compatible. If it becomes frustrating, go back to the 32-bit version.
  • I'm looking to build a microATX computer as a file-server and media computer. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=10074671