This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Udon accepting submissions for Darkstalkers Tribute book

edited January 2009 in Art!
In case anyone who'd be interested didn't hear, Udon Entertainment is accepting submissions for their upcoming Darkstalkers Tribute book. If you saw the Street Fighter Tribute book, you know that it's a huge, beautiful book with lots of great art (and honestly, a few that weren't quite so great). I'm confident that there are a few artists here who could make the cut.

Deadline is March 1st. I'm absolutely entering.

Comments

• The Street Fighter book was pretty cool.

However, who out there is actually a Darkstalkers fan? I remember back when I was a kid this fighting game showed up in the arcade called Darkstalkers, and nobody really gave two shits about it. Yet, somehow the brand has survived all this time with this middling level of popularity that seems to come from nowhere. Who are these people?
  • Thanks Funfetus. Totally missed my radar. I regretted not even trying to get into the SF book. I have the SF book and theres a lot of simple cute art that got in. It's a pretty thick book too. My favorite piece was the one where Balrog, Bison, Vega and Sagot knocked Guile's American ice cream cone on the floor. Bison's all like " Whoops!".
  • edited January 2009
    However, who out there is actually a Darkstalkers fan? I remember back when I was a kid this fighting game showed up in the arcade called Darkstalkers, and nobody really gave two shits about it. Yet, somehow the brand has survived all this time with this middling level of popularity that seems to come from nowhere. Who are these people?
    Hell if I know. I never actually played the game much, but I've always really liked the character designs.
    I have the SF book and theres a lot of simple cute art that got in. It's a pretty thick book too. My favorite piece was the one where Balrog, Bison, Vega and Sagot knocked Guile's American ice cream cone on the floor. Bison's all like " Whoops!".
    Sounds cute -- I didn't see that one. I only got to flip through it at San Diego Comicon -- they only had the hardcover at the time, which was like $80, and these two women in Chun-Li costumes were trying to talk me into buying it. I'd already spent well over $100 on artbooks, so I had to pass, but it was tough.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • I remember watching the OVA's back in the day, then playing the arcade, the character design is great
  • Some of the "fans" of the Darkstalkers series are just in it for the fan service, ecchi-type stuff. Not all of them, though, and I wouldn't even say the majority.
  • I'm with Mr.Roboto. I like the designs/art.
  • I'm with Mr.Roboto. I like the designs/art.
    Add me in on that. I played the game now and then when the arcade circuit was bigger. I remember liking it, but it was so long ago.
  • I'm gonna enter something. :D

Never really played the games but I've always liked the character designs. Even Morrigan and Felicia (who look like they belong in hentai) are okay by me. Hsien Ko is the real reason I <3 Darkstalkers though. Adorable chinese zombie, yes please!
  • I liked Morrigan and Felicia's representation in game but out side the game everyone over-sexes them. I can't wait to start up my entree I just don't know what to do yet! Hsien Ko is really cute!
  • Adorable chinese zombie, yes please!
    Oh man, have you ever seen Mr. Vampire? Comical chinese vampires!
    I liked Morrigan and Felicia's representation in game but out side the game everyone over-sexes them. I can't wait to start up my entree I just don't know what to do yet! Hsien Ko is really cute!
    What struck me when I started looking up stuff yesterday was how sensibly Felicia's bust was drawn in the Capcom art (not just in-game, but concept and promotional art). But the fan community definitely goes way overboard with that stuff. Expect a sensibly-busted and respectfully-portrayed Felicia to appear in my entry.

Looking forward to your Hsien-Ko -- I love those sleeves!
  • I remember playing the game back in high school with a friend that was a huge Felicia fanboy. Out of all the video game characters he drew, Felicia was the character he drew the most. I'm a B.B. Hood man myself and we would get into many idiotic arguments that went nowhere.

And yeah, I'll be entering this.
  • we would get into many idiotic arguments that went nowhere.
    Going off-topic, high school is prime time for idiotic arguments that go nowhere. I remember arguing passionately for the superiority of guitars over saxophones, or punk over metal, as if these were very, very important things.

Anyway. Do you have any art up anywhere?
  • we would get into many idiotic arguments that went nowhere.
    Going off-topic, high school is prime time for idiotic arguments that go nowhere. I remember arguing passionately for the superiority of guitars over saxophones, or punk over metal, as if these were very, very important things.

Anyway. Do you have any art up anywhere?
    http://ratix-langrisser.deviantart.com/

This doesn't cover anywhere near what I've done, but it gives people an idea of what I can do. I will say that my primary weakness is coloring because my skill in Photoshop is nowhere near what I want it to be.
  • edited January 2009
    Oh, another artist on the forum! Nice work!
    Post edited by Mankoon on
  • I'll agree that the fan community take Morrigan and Felicia too far. Not to mention the terrible sibling/lesbian overtones to all Morrigan/Lillith art ever. I think even Capcom does that though (?).

I kind of like in-game Felicia though. Her backstory is so far removed from what you expect. xD
  • :: raises hand :: Well that'd be me. I'm the fan.

Ok, so hopefully I'm not the ONLY fan, but still, I really loved the Darkstalkers games. It may have just started with nostalgia, there was a Darkstalkers machine at the local ice-cream shop near my grade school. (I know how small town that sounds, but seriously, in Oakland CA!) Still, by the time Darkstalkers 3 rolled out they system was deep, the options diverse, characters fantastic, and graphics were awesome! It always bugged me that some of the systems that first appeared in the Darkstalker games were so lauded in other capcom fighters, but people still treated Darkstalkers like the red-headed-stepchild.

Ok, enough random gushing over the Darkstalkers games. I wish there would be a 4, but I doubt it.

On a side note, I first found the furry online communities back in the mid nineties because of this game. I was looking for strategies and had run out of links off of "Darkstalkers" "Night Warriors" and "Felicia, Talbain" so I tried "Catgirl" and "Werewolf." That lead to a very different set of sites... :P

Fox out
  • So, I'm officially a shittalker. Today's the deadline, and I didn't do one. I really wanted to, but another project that was kinda on the backburner got moved up front, and I just haven't had the time. Actually, that's bs, I could've made the time. But oh well.

Did anyone else make it?
  • I too am a shit-talker. T_T Since school started I've been having trouble keeping up with my one-contest-a-month goal. :/

Still gonna do some Hsien-Ko art though.
  • So, I'm officially a shittalker.
    It's ok, there's a lot of that around here ^_~
  • Well, I'm proud to say that I finished mine. That makes me awesome for not talking shit. The timer says it took me 31 hours and 12 minutes. ( Just because it took that long doesn't mean it's the most fantabulous thing ever) However, the fact that I'm jobless helped. It was a hell of an undertaking and though I nearly started hating the artwork, at the end I was proud to be finished. They say that they want it to be a surprise and should try to keep my submission under wraps but I didn't sign an NDA. I won't be posting it at DA though. I'll try to post it here when I take a full break.
  • Well, I'm proud to say that I finished mine. That makes me awesome for not talking shit. The timer says it took me 31 hours and 12 minutes.
    Congratulations! I can't wait to see it -- I'll bet it looks great. What timer are you talking about? I've been looking for something to keep track of the time I spend actually drawing, vs. the time I spend dicking around.
  • edited March 2009
    What timer are you talking about?
    I love working with a timer. I'm still looking for the perfect one. I've used one called the Egg Timer. It's a simple timer that allows you to count up and down. When I was doing heavy production, having it count up and down was useful. I've changed PCs since then so I decided to look for something new. I'm currently trying out this timer. It's better then the egg timer for long term projects but it's still really simple. It allows you to save a list of time/projects. I have a list of other timers to go through. I might need something a little more complicated for the project I'm working on.
    Anyway, here is my (hush, hush) DarkStalkers Tribute piece.
    I sort of forgot to put Rikuo's gills and Sasquatch's pecs. I'm probably going to edit that if they email me back.
    Post edited by Mankoon on
  • OMG that Felicia and the cats, THIS MUST BE IN THAT BOOK!
  • Yep, that is top quality stuff, Mankoon. I love the funny scenes you come up with for these things (SANDVICH!). You can really see the 31 hours and 12 minutes!
  • @mrRoboto: The cats are my favorite part of the whole thing. Maybe it's because they're drawings of my cats, Chiki & Gon Gon. Teehee!
    @funfetus: Thanks. I love telling story even if it hurts for 31 hours. My other Idea had to do with 80's style work out tights and warming up for ballet with Dimitri. I really wanted to emasculate him. I can't stand his design!
  • Man, I am seeing all these people posting "I made a DS entry" teasers and feeling totally jealous of not being one of them even though it is 100% my fault. xD You rock, Mankoon! That entry is so funny and endearing, I really hope it gets in.
    I really wanted to emasculate him. I can't stand his design!
    rofl, YES

Also: I am DLing that timer right now.