This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Shakespeare

edited January 2009 in Everything Else
I was appauled to find that this thread didn't already exist.

My favorites are Hamlet and Macbeth. Runners up are Comedy of Errors and King Lear. I never cared much for Romeo and Juliet or Julius Caesar.

Comments

• edited January 2009
    I was afoxed as well. The only Shakespeare I've seen live was Twelfth Night. It was very good. "Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness THRUST upon them."
    Post edited by Starfox on
  • edited January 2009
    I love the ones Sail hates. I can't stand Richard II or any of the Henries.

"Men at some time are masters of their fates; the fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves, that we are underlings."

On a side note, has anyone seen Hamlet II, and is it worth seeking out?
    Post edited by Jason on
  • A Midsummer's Night Dream is pretty good.
  • Sonnet 130 is true for every girl in the world.
  • Mercutio is my homeboy, but my favorite Shakespeare play has to be Much Ado About Nothing. The movie version featuring Wilson from House is excellent.

@Jason: Hamlet 2 is fucking hilarious, but only if you are unoffended by rape jokes.
  • The more sacrosanct the target, provided the joke is clever, the more I laugh.
  • -Loved reading Midsummer Night's Dream
    -Seen A Comedy of Errors at the Shakespeare Theatre (a reproduction of The Globe) in Chicago
    -Freshman english class tainted Julius Caesar for me; nevertheless, I love it, and still have most of Antony's speech memorized.
    -Macbeth was excellent, and the Roman Polanski film we watched after reading it last year was so bad it was good.
    -The Sonnets are perfection (I agree with Erwin about sonnet 130)

Still have to read The Tempest and Hamlet; they're on my "to read" list.
  • Guess. Hint: ^

Also, Othello, Richard III, Henry V, Julius Caesar.
  • Comedy of Errors is funny. Tempest beats out all others by a long shot.
  • I'm all about MacBeth. Hamlet is also very good. King Lear and Titus Andronicus also rank pretty decently with me.

I find Romeo and Juliet to have better applicability as a tongue-in-cheek commentary on young love, rather than the "forbidden romance" angle.
  • The only Shakespeare I've read was Romeo & Juliet and Julius Ceaser, neither of which I enjoyed all that much...probably due to them being forced on me in High School rather than a genuine interest in reading them.
  • The only Shakespeare I've read was Romeo & Juliet and Julius Ceaser, neither of which I enjoyed all that much...probably due to them being forced on me in High School rather than a genuine interest in reading them.
    I found that to be very true when I was in high school as well.

Since then I found that seeing Shakespeare played out instead of just read to be quite enjoyable since his works were originally created for the stage in the first place. This is not to say that reading them isn't worthwhile, far from it, but there are times that seeing good actors playing their respective roles can make scenes and lines more meaningful than just reading text alone.
  • I like Macbeth and King Lear, but the Kurosawa adaptations are better IMO.
  • edited January 2009
    Macbeth and Julius Caesar are my favorites, although I have to confess I am a member of what may be the only AP English class to have never read Hamlet.

(It's on my list of books to read)

EDIT: A quick search on Netflix brought up a collection of BBC-produced Shakespeare renditions on instant watch, including Taming of the Shrew with John Cleese! They average around 3 1/2 stars on the scale, so looks like I'm gonna watch Hamlet tonight.
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • I hate Romeo and Juliet with a Passion.
  • I hate Romeo and Juliet with a Passion.
    Preaching to the choir. I was force to read that many time through school. It truly irks me that what is probably Shakespeare's worst play is one of the most widely taught. I am not a Shakespeare expert myself but everyone I know that reads Shakespeare agrees.
  • edited January 2009
    Hamlet is the one I like the best, followed closely by Macbeth, King Lear, and Henry V. I like the Histories quite a bit, especially Henry IV parts I and II and Richard III, and Antony and Cleopatra is definitely worth anyone's time. Measure for Measure is good. Coriolanus is very extravagant and actually has a deux ex machina. Titus Andronicus really knocked me for a loop. I still think about it a lot. Much Ado about Nothing is okay, even though no one is killed. Twelfth Night is worth seeing, if only for Malvolio. Othello is worth watching for Iago, and Othello himself is pretty good. The Tempest and A Midsummer Night's Dream should be required for anyone remotely interested in fantasy.

I've paid to see a lot of these presented as plays. However, you can see many of these for free if your town has a Shakespeare in the Park program.

The BBC has a good set of productions of most of these plays. If you want to see them as movies, The Zefirelli Hamlet with Mel Gibson was good though heavily edited. Make sure you see Chimes at Midnight (Orson Welles took Henry IV, I and II and made one movie), the Branagh Henry V, the Olivier Henry V, the Olivier Richard III, the Anthony Hopkins Titus Andronicus, the Diana Rigg Midsummer Night's Dream, the James Cagney Midsummer Night's Dream, the Branagh Hamlet, the Branagh Much Ado about Nothing, the Olivier Hamlet, and the Orson Welles Macbeth and Othello.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • We watched Titus in a freshman literature class at RIT. That's what really made me love that play.

Has anyone watched My Own Private Idaho? It's loosely based on Henry IV part I, starring Keanu Reeves and River Phoenix. I know that doesn't sound like a glowing recommendation, but I thought it was worth watching, if only to watch Keanu recite Shakespeare.
  • edited January 2009
    From the age of 5 on, I have had a love affair with Shakespeare. Coming from a family of thespians, artists, musicians, and writers - he was one of our personal family gods. I read the complete works of Shakespeare like others read the Bible. As a theatre major, I became almost over-exposed to the Bard and to a few lackluster professors that felt it necessary to start their Shakespeare classes or sections with a "how to read and understand Shakespeare" lesson. If you can't read Shakespeare, then go and see it performed! One you accept the rhythm, hear the text, and see it in action, you will likely catch the drift.
    I digress.
    For reading, I prefer his comedies to his tragedies and his tragedies to his histories. As far as being involved in productions or seeing Shakespeare, I prefer his histories and tragedies to his comedies. The Scottish Play and Hamlet are some of his finest works, but my personal preference out of his more popular plays lies with Much Ado About Nothing, The Tempest, Merchant of Venice, Henry VI, and Richard III. Midsummer Nights Dream is a great lark and a great bedtime story (yes, even with the sexy bits as they are usually a bit over a kid's head - and if they aren't it is just sex). Romeo and Juliet is okay (which on the scale of Shakespeare's works is still amazing), some great language and characters, but I have never loved it as others have.
    As to the dispute over the authorship of Shakespeare's works, I am a zealot of the work, not the man. I do not care if Marlowe, de Vere, Herbert, Bacon, Stanley, Manners, or a toadstool wrote them or in what combination. The various theories are neat, but it change the text.
    A neat study for anyone interested is to look for and read the oldest versions of the plays as is possible as stage managers, directors, and even actors may have changed bits here and there according to many scholars. Also, I highly recommend that people look into some of Shakespeare's contemporaries. There was some excellent work produced during that time period and some works that were created based on or in counter to Shakespeare's works (i.e. The Woman's Prize, of the Tamer Tamed - as a feminist named Kate, I HAD to bring this up).
    I hate Romeo and Juliet with a Passion.
    Why? I can see not enjoying it, but HATING it? Any reason(s)?

As to film adaptations, if Kenneth Branagh is involved, they are usually quite good. I highly recommend all of his adaptations, including Much Ado About Nothing (despite Keanu Reeve's performance - which is painful).
    It is strange to me that people don't just go and see it in the theatre and that they complain about Hamlet running 5 hours long. How many hours do we sit in front of computer screens or televisions, I seriously think that even a mediocre production of Hamlet would be stimulating enough to keep someone interested.
    Speaking of, I had the pleasure of seeing Samuel West’s Hamlet in the Royal Shakespeare Company production at London’s Barbican several years ago. It was incredibly well done (not only by the cast, but the set and lighting were magnificent choices - very bare set and a great use of on stage lighting to highlight Hamlet's emotional/psychological state without being intrusive).
    Post edited by Kate Monster on