This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090115 - Faking Your Death

edited January 2009 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we discuss faking your death, or simply running away and starting a new life.

Scott's Thing - Yuppie Invention
Rym's Thing - Arm-chair logic test

Comments

• edited January 2009
    Haven't listened to the podcast yet, but that test was trivially easy.
    BTW the front page links to another post.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • I got 93%, because I got Q15 wrong.
    I disagree with Q15 though; I think it's stupid.
  • edited January 2009
    I got 80% because I forgot that "valid" didn't necessarily mean "correct". Silly me...

EDIT: Also, I'm a southern wimp. Down here, the average winter high is roughly 40 degrees Fahrenheit, and I hate winter.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • 93% because of Question 10. I assumed that there could be multiple Paris' therefore the "Paris" in New Zealand would not necessarily be the "Paris" in France. Flawed question.
  • I got 93%, because I got Q15 wrong.
    I disagree with Q15 though; I think it's stupid.
    Exactly the same here. If you define water as being two hydrogen and one oxygen, then that is what water is, even if a substance can perform the exact same function, but is chemically different. Call it New Water or something, but it isn't water as far as this question goes. Silly question.
  • Exactly the same here. If you define water as being two hydrogen and one oxygen, then that is what water is, even if a substance can perform the exact same function, but is chemically different. Call it New Water or something, but it isn't water as far as this question goes. Silly question.
    What if the definition is flawed? You are assuming that you have the correct definition however let's assume that all of your tests are flawed. Let's say tomorrow I invent a new microscope that can see dark matter. All of the sudden this new test can define a more complete definition of molecules and our original definition of water is incomplete. Therefore the logic of Q15 is invalid.
  • 87%. Flubbed the last question, and one I forgot before I looked at the answers.
  • -11℃isn't that bad, it was -25℃ where I live.
  • edited January 2009
    What if the definition is flawed?
    In the context of a logic problem, unless the possibility is implied, I have to assume the only valid information is that which is presented to me within the question. Your answer to Q.10 should show you that you can't assume things outside of the exact wording of the problem. If the answer assumes or implies knowledge outside of the facts stated within problem, it must be invalid, or the question just plain sucks.

EDIT: Good to hear Scott had the same problem. Again, the question sucks.
    Post edited by thaneofcawdor on
  • edited January 2009
    14/15 = 93% but it won't tell me which one I got wrong..

I have a minor psychosomatic problem with the wifi from my DS is on my hand and arms actually hurt thought I feel it's just confirmation bias. I also have a real thing against electric shocks (yes, I cam a computer technician).
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Rym's Thing -Arm-chair logic test
    87%, I messed up on question 12 and 15. I agree with thane on question 15 being wrong. If you define water to be a molecule with 2 hydrogen atoms and 1 oxygen atom, then every future examination of water will result in the observing of 2 hydrogen atoms and 1 oxygen atom, since that's what you defined water to be. If you observe something different, you are no longer examining water.
  • 87%

School buses are only good with friends and plenty of space.
  • In the context of a logic problem, unless the possibility is implied, I have to assume the only valid information is that which is presented to me within the question. Your answer to Q.10 should show you that you can't assume things outside of the exact wording of the problem. If the answer assumes or implies knowledge outside of the facts stated within problem, it must be invalid, or the question just plain sucks.
    Q10 ( as with all the questions) is testing the validity of the argument, not the soundness ( I took a first year logic course). Validity is reached when the conclusion can be reached through the given propositions, and soundness is the accuracy when applied within the actual real world context. The accuracy of the given propositions in a real world context does not have any bearing what so ever in the validity of the argument, only the soundness of the argument. When an argument is sound it must also be valid, however when an argument is valid it does not necessary have to be sound as depicted by Q10.
  • I hate school buses. That is all.
  • Not bad, I got a perfect score, but then I've always been pretty good at those logic questions.
  • I also feel that the 15th question was rigged. You're given a statement that water is hydrogen and oxygen, while the microscopes confirms this fact. To me, saying that the answer is invalid is invalid itself.
  • 100%
    I also feel that the 15th question was rigged. You're given a statement that water is hydrogen and oxygen, while the microscopes confirms this fact. To me, saying that the answer is invalid is invalid itself.
    Yes, but the question was about future observations, and they didn't specify how those would be made (e.g. observing a molecule by weighing it or looking at it with plain eye sight will not reveal the molecular structure). I do agree however that their explanation of why it is invalid is bogus. Formally they defined "Water" as a (read one) molecule, however in their explanation they talk about "Water" as an extensive medium with the properties of water.
  • I did this test a few weeks ago. I got one right, something to do with should vs could... I just didn't read it correctly. The last question is a bit off.
  • edited January 2009
    I got them all right but I nearly screwed up the one about eating the horse because I nearly didn't see the counclusion said "should" instead of "could". I also had to think about Bloody Mary. She would be convicted, but that conclusion is more of an induction, and the question was only about deductive validity.

I didn't have any trouble at all with the water question. Like Mary, in actual practice, it is so unlikely that there's another configuration for water, that it's unreasonable to expect to see one. However, one must think within the box of the question, and that box gives no indication of what may happen in the future. The quiz foreshadows this with the "all ducks bark" question. One knows that ducks don't bark, but one must accept that it's true within the box of the question.

Further, both Bloody Mary and the funny water questions want to trick one into thinking inductively, not deductively. The inference drawn from induction may be correct, even within the bounds of the question, but it's not a valid deduction from the given information in the question.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • I missed the one about water molecules. If you define water as X and the properties of water ever differ from the definition of X, it is not water.
  • Here's the final question, the only one I got "wrong."
    Question 15.
    a) Water is a molecule composed of two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom.
    b) Every observation or examination by microscope has confirmed this.

Conclusion
    Therefore we can predict that every future examination of water will reveal the same chemical composition.
    My problem with the question is this. The conclusion says "Therefore we can predict..." We can predict that the sky will turn green an hour from now. We are capable of making any prediction we can imagine. The conclusion says nothing whatsoever about the accuracy or validity of the prediction. It only speaks to our ability to make the prediction.

I know I'm really being lawyer-y about it, but that's how you have to treat these things. That same lawyery-ness is what allowed me to answer the first 14 questions correctly.
  • edited January 2009
    They way I see it:

Aliens come to earth and start abducting people, they find out that the dominant species are in fact humans, having Male (XY) and Female(XX) each with their own characteristics. One day Blorg beams up a girl, he classifies her as such, as she has breasts a vagina, uses a skirt, hits on guys, has sex with guys, buys makeup etc. Once he takes the sample BAM! XY chromosomes. Turns out she was a pseudo hermaphrodite, now, he knew all about females, he knew they were XX how they act, what they do, how they look like, and how they are built, so he can safely make the assumption that in fact it was a girl but alas poor Blorg was wrong.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • edited January 2009
    I know I'm really being lawyer-y about it, but that's how you have to treat these things. That same lawyery-ness is what allowed me to answer the first 14 questions correctly.
    The missing definition of "predict" is not what is wrong here. Let me demonstrate:

1) All Ducks are yellow.
    2) Examination by looking at Ducks has confirmed this.

1) + 2) != Future examinations of Ducks will confirm 1).

This because you can examine them some other way.

Arguing about the validity of "predict" is also self defeating, as taking it to be ambiguous renders the statement not a logical one and thus, again, making it invalid (though the sentence may be valid). Perhaps a demonstration is in order:

1) A is B
    2) B is C
    Conclusion: I can say A is a butterfly.

This is not logic and clearly invalid.

If you now take the point of view that "say" does not specify the truthfulness of what is being said and merely focus on the fact that "I can say A is a butterfly" (because you obviously can, even though this may be a lie), then you simply mean that the sentence is valid. The logical conclusion remains completely absent.

If you take "predict" at face value, the logic is flawed; If you don't, the logic is absent. Both cases are invalid.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • edited January 2009

If you now take the point of view that "say" does not specify the truthfulness of what is being said and merely focus on the fact that "Icansay A is a butterfly" (because you obviously can, even though this may be a lie), then you simply mean that the sentence is valid. The logical conclusion remains completely absent.
    The logical conclusion is only absent if you assume that the conclusion must have something to do with 1) and 2). Take this for example.

1) A = B
    2) B = C
    3) D = F

Conclusion: F = D

In this example, you can just ignore 1) and 2). All they are asking for is the validity or invalidity of the conclusion statement. The numbered items are simply assumed truths in the same universe as the conclusion. They do not necessarily have anything to do with the conclusion.

I view the water question the same way. The composition of water molecules and our observations of them under a microscope have nothing to do with our abilities to predict. The same way that A = B has nothing to do with whether or not F = D.

If they wanted something different, they should have worded the conclusion differently. For example, they could have written this conclusion instead.

Therefore it would be logical to conclude that every future examination of water will reveal the same chemical composition.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • There is a difference between a valid conclusion, a true conclusion and a reasonably inferred conclusion. This was checking ONLY for validity. For validity you have to approach the problem as if it was a vacuum and break it down to its Ps and Qs.
  • I also got question 15 wrong.

I approached the problem both in a vaccum and outside a vacuum. Inside the vacuum, we were given the assertion that "Water IS a molecule composed of..." That is a definition, and that definition does not change, nor are we given any information to indicate that it could change. Ergo, water will always have the same structure. The conclusion is valid.

Outside the vacuum, I'm with Scott about the whole "we can predict" wording. We can predict anything; a prediction doesn't mean that it's going to stay that way, but we have sufficient information to make a predictive model.
  • Yea, I have to agree with jefferson, -11C isn't that cold, it was -37C on Wednesday. now that wasn't pleasant. Though a few degrees colder and my spit would have gone clink. Also it's -14 right now and I thought it was quite nice out. That all said the real measure of when it's cold is if your pants freeze in position while still on your legs.
  • 100%. Man, now I suddenly want to be back in that logic course I took in my first year of uni. I didn't think I'd be good at it, but I ended up loving that course. :D
  • It's so cold here I can see Russia from my office.