This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Repo! The Genetic Opera

2»

Comments

• edited January 2009
    Music being in a language you don't understand makes a huge difference. That's why I can listen to Ayumi Hamasaki, and think it's awesome, but Britney Spears music is painful. It's the same with Opera. If you understood Italian, or whatever language your opera of choice was written in, it would be quite painful.
    I have to entirely disagree. I rate each piece of music on all elements. If I cannot understand the lyrics, I can still appreciate/dislike the quality of that individual piece. I actually prefer crappy pop in English to most crappy J-Pop (not that all English or J-Pop is crappy) because the nasal quality of the Japanese singers drives me insane.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I have to entirely disagree. I rate each piece of music on all elements. If I cannot understand the lyrics, I can still appreciate/dislike the quality of that individual piece. I actually prefer crappy pop in English to most crappy J-Pop (not that all English or J-Pop is crappy) because the nasal quality of the Japanese singers drives me insane.
    I agree. The thing is that when you understand the language, corny or trite lyrics can interfere with your enjoyment of the music. When you don't understand the words, the lyrics can get away with being absolutely nonsensical, but it wouldn't distract you.
  • How would the aethetic have changed if there was better music? You can have music of any style that is still quality. I AM NOT saying make it operatic, just good for its style. Why do you assume I meant that? I think you are missing the point I am making. I don't want the music to differ in style, only up its quality. You are assuming that when I say better that I mean a different style.
    You can agree that within any style there can be quality and crap.
    Well, what exactly about the music would change to make it "better?" Most of it seemed like pretty standard fare industrial/hard rock in the vein of KMFDM or Skinny Puppy, and that stuff can really only be so good before it becomes drastically different. 17 was a pretty typical pop-punk song, and that's not exactly a style of music that I would say could be very high quality in the first place (it was the weakest number in the movie, save for the sing-talking). We both agree that the sing-talking could have been better, but those are filler pieces as it is, so if you made them too outstanding they'd feel out of place.

That's what I'm saying: there might be "better" industrial hard rock, but I doubt it'd be better enough to matter. If you go with a different kind of industrial music, you'd change the movie. Can you give me an example of higher-quality music in the same genre that would've accomplished the same thing without substantially changing the aesthetic of the film?

Yes, in any style you can find quality and crap. I'm saying that the style picked had some intentionally crap elements, to make the music sort of ugly and gritty. That gave the whole movie an ugly and gritty feel, which is the whole point. What do you do when you want to go with music that is intentionally bad in some respects? I would contend that "fixing" those bad elements would substantially change the work.
  • edited January 2009
    Better: more interesting/solid/diverse melodies, harmonies, instrumentation and lyrics. While you do not think that having better music would have helped, I disagree. Making each element of a film as solid as it can be contributes to the whole piece. When Anatomy is the best song and it is a very simplistic pop song, then there is definitely room for improvement. Also, writing actual musical pieces rather than relying on sing-talking so often. Making music gritty ISN'T MAKING IT CRAPPY. You are arguing that the style by definition is crappy, and it simply isn't.
    The music was written by Zdunich and Smith, I think that one or more experienced composers/musicians helping to compose the music would have helped turn teh music from passable into quality and upped the film as a whole beyond a long MTV video with TRL level music.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • If you want to look at it with a hard critical eye, then it was seriously lacking as a film.
    I have only one question. Better or worse than Daywatch?
  • I have only one question. Better or worse than Daywatch?
    Better than Daywatch, not quite as good as Nightwatch.
  • I have only one question. Better or worse than Daywatch?
    Better than Daywatch, not quite as good as Nightwatch.
    Better than daywatch. Not nearly as good as Nightwatch, and Nightwatch wasn't exactly an opus of a film. Repo! was much more fun than Nightwatch, though.
  • Wow I watched that news clip and it shows the same thing over and over, how the news will dramatize anything to make a story
  • I liked Repo! less then Rocky Horror but more then Shock Treatment.
    I've never seen Shock Treatment, but I believe I liked Repo! more than Rocky Horror. Rocky just isn't quite my cup of tea.
    I've never seen Shock Treatment, but I believe I liked Repo! more than Rocky Horror. Rocky just isn't quite my cup of tea.
    I think I like Rocky and Repo equally. Both have some great, silly moments. I have never seen Shock Treatment. What's it about? Is it worth a viewing?
  • Like Rocky, the plot is kind of hard to explain. It's about meeting Brand meeting Janet's parents. Then it goes nuts. It's worth seeing once. I don't own it but I'll try to borrow a copy. You'll either love or hate the music. It's worth watching. I am going to avoid giving anything else away till you see if for yourselves.

On the topic of movies, everyone NEEDS to see Hog Father and Color of Magic. They are Terry Prachett books from the Discworld series and they are so well do. The stories are wonderful and the production quality is fantastic.
  • On the topic of movies, everyone NEEDS to see Hog Father and Color of Magic. They are Terry Prachett books from the Discworld series and they are so well do. The stories are wonderful and the production quality is fantastic.
    Curse my living in a city that gets looked over for limited releases!
  • That does sound like Islam is the Light, I'm gonna be completely honest with you. But it's obviously not intentional, no one's dumb enough to put that in an American game. The mom's making way too big a deal, really.
  • Am I absolutely insane for thinking a stage/musical adaption of Final Fantasy VI would be good? (Never mind, I am.)
    That does sound like Islam is the Light, I'm gonna be completely honest with you. But it's obviously not intentional, no one's dumb enough to put that in an American game. The mom's making way too big a deal, really.
    The only reason you heard it say "Islam is the Light" is because someone suggested it to you, and that's what you expected to hear. If the sound clip had just played, you wouldn't have made anything of it.
  • The only reason you heard it say "Islam is the Light" is because someone suggested it to you, and that's what you expected to hear. If the sound clip had just played, you wouldn't have made anything of it.
    That's true, that's true. It's kinda weird that it has the same number of syllables, but you're probably right. I can kind of see why someone would mistake it to be saying that. It would have to be someone who's just looking for that to be there so they can piss and moan.
  • That's true, that's true. It's kinda weird that it has the same number of syllables, but you're probably right. I can kind of see why someone would mistake it to be saying that. It would have to be someone who's just looking for that to be there so they can piss and moan.
    That's just the paradolia talking.
  • oh mans....I really want to see this too....looks soooo amazing
  • That's true, that's true. It's kinda weird that it has the same number of syllables, but you're probably right. I can kind of see why someone would mistake it to be saying that. It would have to be someone who's just looking for that to be there so they can piss and moan.
    Interesting read...You're probably right. I wish I could've heard the clip before I knew what I thought it was saying.
  • I wish I could've heard the clip before I knew what I thought it was saying.
    It was wierd. I listened to it, and it really did sound like nothing. But once they planted the suggestion, it was impossible for me to hear anything else.
    Interesting read...You're probably right. I wish I could've heard the clip before I knew what I thought it was saying.
    I found someone linking to the full clip, not just the part that, out of context, sounds like Islam is the Light. It sounds more like "Good Night" to me.
  • Holy bollocks - I have to source this gem and make my friends sit through this.
  • Eh, I really didn't like this movie. The most annoying part for me was the comic book cut-scenes. That kind of shit just reaks of bad storytelling.