This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Why I Use Windows

edited January 2006 in Technology
Reasons why I own a computer...

Computing course (involving a lot of VB)
PC Games (Woo oblivion)
Internets

Please throw a log on your fires of understanding.

Comments

• edited January 2006
    Methinks it would be vastly more effective to take that log and use it to beat Scott. :p Their fires of understanding burn hot, but use a...different...fuel?

Sorry for abusing your metaphor.

EDIT: I, personally, also use Windows, because it does what I need it to do, and it allows me to play games that I like to play. I've been tempted once or twice to dual-boot, and only use Windows when I want to play games...but hell, what's the point? It's simply easier and more efficient for me to use one OS, and use that one OS that does ALL the things I need.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I suppose I should clarify that I'm not advocating Linux for any idealistic or ulterior motive. I'm not saying that you all should dump Windows and use Linux exclusively like we do. In fact, that would be a really bad move for you considering the things you use computers for.

But you should at least learn Linux. It's going to be a very useful skill in the next several years as Windows becomes more expensive, more DRMed, and harder to pirate.

You just have to be very careful when you use Windows these days. It's trivially easy to get yourself infected with all sorts of baddies.
  • I tried to get put dual boot of SUSe linux on my old computer...

one of the main reasons I now have a *new* computer.
  • You failed to dual boot Linux so you bought a new computer? Why didn't you just reinstall windows? You didn't need to buy a new computer unless you broke the hardware somehow, which is not likely.

Also, selecting Suse was sort of a mistake. That's really meant for the corporate desktop. Get an Ubuntu or Kubuntu LiveCD and try it out. You just boot off the CD and you don't install anything. It runs the entire OS off the CD and doesn't modify your hard disk in any way. That way you can try out real Linux without any risk whatsoever.
  • I managed to delete the master boot-thing with the SUSe installer, leaving only SUSe working, and when the windows XP cd tried to fix the boot sector it corrupted it...*CRASH!*

No SUSe, no Windows.

I had to sort it quickly for a project and to save time I just stuck another xp install on there to do the work in.

After that, the boot menu showed two XP installs, one corrupted in some deep, dark way and one fine, but unpatched (this was a non-kosher XP disk).

I spoke to some linux fans on the net and they had no idea what I could have done to make it break so badly, I think it was something to do with trying to stop it formatting one of my HDDs. Anyway, after this I had my hard drives giving me random STOP errors and the hardware on the pc was old anyway so I got a new PC.

I had used knoppix before and my brush with SUSe was ok... I managed to fix a problem that the Tech Support team in Belfast couldn't fix and were having real trouble with (to do with internet connectivity).
  • Rym speaks a great truth about Windows; it IS ridiculously easy to compromise a Windows installation.

The best way to use Windows is to be intelligent about it; use secure browsers when surfing, don't download anything or click on any links unless you know what they are, etc. Make sure to keep your antivirus up to date, and it's probably a good idea to run, at the bare minimum, a software firewall; XP has one in it, but I used Sygate Personal Firewall for a while.

Just be smart. No glove, no love, right?
  • Is the XP firewall any good?

I currently disable it and use Kerio.
  • It's passable, but I think I'll probably grab a different software firewall, once I reinstall XP. Long story short, a friend cobbled together a hacked-up version of XP for me, and I'm going to install a REAL copy of XP.
  • The builtin XP personal firewall is sufficient. You just have to make sure you pay attention to when new exploits for it are discovered and patch them up. I don't just mean windows update, I mean going out and manually getting hotfixes. I really see no reason to buy or use a third party firewall if your computer is behind a router. If you don't have a router between your computer and the cable modem/dsl then you really should, even if you've only got one PC.
  • I have a router because I have a home network. I've heard a lot about routers helping your security but Ive never heard HOW it helps, care to share?
  • edited January 2006
    The router helps due to the nature of NAT (network address translation). NAT functions by only allowing packets in when a connection is first initiated from the inside of the network, and it keeps track of which PC made the connection so it can properly route the data back. This makes it so nobody is able to make a direct connection through the router to your PC. That is, unless you use port forwarding or DMZ features, which can comprimise the security the router gives. I never recommend DMZ, but port forwarding is sometimes necessary.

In addition, many newer routers actually include additional firewall features to help boost the protection. I always recommend to people to use a router with broadband. Combine that with using firefox and thunderbird and windows becomes many times safer to use on the internet.

I find also that most people who have virus problems are still on dial-up, since most people on broadband have a router protecting them. Dial-up is always a direct connection with all the bad just waiting to get in.
    Post edited by Jameskun on
  • I switched over to OS X just over a year ago and haven't looked back since. I run a business with 3 other partners. We all used windows except for one, our graphic designer who insisted on using OS X on a new G5 PowerMac. We'd talk behind his back about how we could get him on to Windows. Then for a laugh, I thought I'd try to work for the morning on his G5. Three days later two of my colleges had to physically remove me from the machine. Now we all run Macs and since seeing mine, my sister, father, auntie, several friends, several friends parents have bought a mac in some form or other.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hear preaching the mac as the best thing in the world, in this case its mearly my alternative to Windows, and a good one at that. I tried Ubuntu for a few days on my laptop and had too many issues to be comfortable with it full time. That said, I curse that laptop and long for the day it says MacBook on the side instead of Compaq. Linux probably had a look around and couldn't be bothered. Can't say I blame it.

Basically, unless you want to play PC games (I have one for that reason, but prefer XBOX) or have to do work on it that requires some sort of Microsoft software, there is simply no reason to use Windows. A friend of mine is choosing a new Dell over a spanky new iMac, because she got a £35 128MB Creative mp3 player for christmas. These people deserve what they get quite frankly.