This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Real Life Superheroes

edited February 2009 in News
Have you heard about these people? Apparently, they put on costumes and do volunteer service. Some even claim to "fight crime".
Superhero has various training under his belt. From the U.S. Navy, to being a Police Academy Graduate, to being a Boxer, and Wrestler, Superhero is a real-life superhero independently sanctioned by the Clearwater Police Department, does missions to help them out, roadside assistance for people, and in addition to the many charity missions he has done before, he has rescued lives of people who were in car accidents.
Angle-grinder Man patrols by night looking for unhappy drivers who have been clamped and then sets their cars free. An odd-job man by day, he operates in Kent during the week and in London on weekends. He decided to go "full-time vigilante" in May this year.

"My obsession with wheel-clamping is actually a rebellion against a much deeper malaise," he said. "Namely, the arrogant contempt that politicians hold for the people who put them into power, and whom they claim to represent.
Is this totally silly or what?

Comments

• I've heard of people who dress up like superhero characters and then visit kids in hospitals. These people seem like nutjobs, but I can definitely support a man who goes around removing the boots from cars.
  • In England the "boot" of a car is what Americas call the "trunk". Also, the "hood" is a "bonnet". I think other terms differ too.
  • edited February 2009
    In England the "boot" of a car is what Americas call the "trunk". Also, the "hood" is a "bonnet". I think other terms differ too.
    Nappies for diapers, pants for panties, etc.

I think it would be awesome to organize a ton of people to dress in costumes and just flood an area of a city picking up rubbish, helping people cross the street, making a community garden, painting over graffiti, etc.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Oh yeah, I had a point: Don't cut the boot off my car, please.
  • "This video is not available in your country."
  • "This video is not available in your country."
    Well, someone cleaned all the Simpsons off of YouTube, so...
  • If someone went around like that guy, cutting off wheel-clamps, he'd really be more of a criminal than a hero, isn't he? What about these people who claim to have "helped" the police? That's a lot different than volunteering at hospitals and stuff. The website cites the text of one state's citizen's arrest statute in what looks like an attempt to lend an air of legality to the crusading. Do you think people are actually attempting to perform useful citizen's arrests while cosplaying? If so, is this something that is good, bad, or neutral?
  • edited February 2009
    I'm really torn on this. I look at someone like Polar Man and the cynical side of my brain sees a man who does good, almost inspirational community service (shoveling elderly folk's driveways), but seems to be doing it for little more than creating an image, making a costume, and posing in ridiculous myspace pictures. Still, they're doing more than I am for the community at the moment, so I guess I can't complain that much. They're still worse than the people who do their work without stupid costumes (and don't give me some Aristotelian argument that those people get pleasure from community service as well and therefore are no better).

As for the people who actually have some decent qualifications (like military service), they're alright, if a little off. It's just too bad that they're on this list along with people who are writing myspace fan fiction about themselves.
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • These people are, at best, doing the right thing for the wrong reasons. Many of them are doing something that is actually wrong, even though they think otherwise.

Citizen's arrest isn't something you're supposed to go around looking to do. If you want to fight crime, you can easily become an actual police officer. Even in this bad economy, the police are always out in the streets trying to hire people. If they were offering higher paying jobs as computer police, instead of just normal police jobs, I might take them up on it.
  • f they were offering higher paying jobs as computer police, instead of just normal police jobs, I might take them up on it.
    Your resume would actually make you a pretty good candidate for the computer crimes section of the FBI, or even (if you worked out a little) a Special Agent.

(I looked into that career path before I went to RIT).
  • Agreed. And there's still plenty of stuff that people can do voluntarily to improve their community's safety, like joining a volunteer emergency squad, which would also provide some actual training. If they don't have these programs in their towns or cities, devote some time to change things legally instead of making costumes and "fighting corruption".

Hell, if I were in Polar Man's position, I'd try to turn it into an organization. Get some other people together and do a good deed together, instead spending your time posing on an ice hill with a shovel.
  • f they were offering higher paying jobs as computer police, instead of just normal police jobs, I might take them up on it.
    Your resume would actually make you a pretty good candidate for the computer crimes section of the FBI, or even (if you worked out a little) a Special Agent.

(I looked into that career path before I went to RIT).
    You mean worked out ALOT. :-p
  • edited February 2009
    Reminds me of these guys. They're just as nutty, but they've got way more style.

(edit: whoops, wrong story.)
    Post edited by Walker on
  • After reading this, I kinda got reminded of this:

I tend to agree that yes, these people (from the original link I mean) can be of some use, at least to children, to inspire community service and volunteer work. There's nothing wrong with that IMO, since kids will probably like the costumes. Other than that, this all just seems like a cry for attention... or for help.

The site's design reminds me of my old AOL hometown webpage from waaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day.
  • I do not think I reals super hero would like to be acknowledge for his/her actions.
  • Working private security at the local hospital, we have the authority to reasonably detain people until the police show up. What I find ironic is that I am the only person in the security department with no law-enforcement experience (outside of doing shore patrol a couple of times while in the navy).