This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

http://darknet/

edited February 2009 in Technology
http://darknet/
I don't understand. It has no TLD. How is this working? How do you whois this?

Comments

• Most likely Domain Guessing, Server Name Completion
    Or, I think it's also possible to configure DNS to do similar things, but those would only work sometimes...
  • Or, I think it's also possible to configure DNS to do similar things, but those would only work sometimes...
    Well, I'm unable to reach the site right now.
  • I know firefox googles stuff for you, sometimes giving the first result (I'm feeling lucky) or the entire google page.
  • http://frontrowcrew/
    That link doesn't work.
    I know firefox googles stuff for you, sometimes giving the first result (I'm feeling lucky) or the entire google page.
    But when that happens the URL changes to either the I'm feeling lucky result (which is normally a full url) or to the Google search page.
    Most likelyDomain Guessing,Server Name Completion
    Or, I think it's also possible to configure DNS to do similar things, but those would only work sometimes...
    Right, but that also would change the URL.
  • Right, but that also would change the URL.
    It doesn't? oO
    1) What browser are you using, add-ons, OS etc
    2) Is it reproducible in another browser?
    3) Are you using a proxy and/or neighbors wireless that also flips your images upside down?
    4) ipconfig /displaydns | grep relevant > forumpost
    Screenshot and maybe wireshark log would be nice

P.S. plain dns trickery wouldn't actually work with darknet, at least afaik
  • edited February 2009
    I'm using FireFox 3, with only the 4chan, Adblock, foxmarks, and Veoh plugins. In IE7, it shows a Error 500 (internal server error).
    I'm using Time Warner Cable as My home ISP with the default DNS. Also, I am able to reproduce this at CSU Northridge through their campus WiFi.
    Here is the darknet ipconfig /displaydns info along with the FRC forum info for format reference.
    forum.frontrowcrew.com
    ----------------------------------------
    Record Name . . . . . : forum.frontrowcrew.com
    Record Type . . . . . : 1
    Time To Live . . . . : 14213
    Data Length . . . . . : 4
    Section . . . . . . . : Answer
    A (Host) Record . . . : 64.62.231.152

Record Name . . . . . : a.dns.gandi.net
    Section . . . . . . . : Additional
    A (Host) Record . . . : 217.70.179.40

Record Name . . . . . : b.dns.gandi.net
    A (Host) Record . . . : 217.70.184.40

Record Name . . . . . : c.dns.gandi.net
    A (Host) Record . . . : 217.70.182.20

darknet
    Record Name . . . . . : darknet.net
    Time To Live . . . . : 86083
    A (Host) Record . . . : 64.201.159.45

Record Name . . . . . : ns1.domain1source.com
    A (Host) Record . . . : 64.201.158.5

Record Name . . . . . : ns2.domain1source.com

Now here's the record for "http://darknet.net"
    darknet.net
    Record Name . . . . . : darknet.net
    Time To Live . . . . : 85883
    A (Host) Record . . . : 64.201.159.45

Record Name . . . . . : ns1.domain1source.com

Record Name . . . . . : ns2.domain1source.com

I am totally not getting it. They are supposedly the same place, and yet they clearly aren't.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Uh, you guys know that Firefox will give your url to Google's "I'm feeling lucky", right?
    edited February 2009
    Uh, you guys know that Firefox will give your url to Google's "I'm feeling lucky", right?
    It does when you just type a word, but I don't think that's the case when you start with a protocol in the address bar, like http, with :// and not followed by a space. What Sonic is experiencing is most likely just Firefox's domain name guessing, which just appends '.com' and puts 'www.' after the protocol. Firefox then tries to connect to that created address and if it exists it goes there. You can see this working, and not working, when going to http://frontrowcrew and http://forum.frontrowcrew. (note: you have to be typing this into the address bar. Firefox won't fix mistakes made by link authors.)
    Post edited by ... on
  • Neither of the first two links work on IE6 at school.
  • edited February 2009
    Based on the output of ipconfig /displaydns(namely entrys for both darknet and darknet.net) I'd say it's your ISP hijacking failed dns querys. It doesn't work well for most servers, because multiple domains are often hosted on same ip, but does work with darknet.net, because it's sort of default domain for that ip(yay not knowing proper terminology)

Try using opendns and see if there's an effect.
    Check if your firewall/internet security whatnot has something like dns cache

There's one problem tho. I only have Opera on this machine atm, and it doesn't even bother sending dns query for plain "darknet". My guess is that opera or XP dns resolver has some sort of valid domain name check before trying to resolve it. Same should in theory happen with firefox.

Wireshark log would be nice...
    Post edited by bugmenot on

• Try using opendns and see if there's an effect.
    An ISP that hijacks failed DNS queries is bad, OpenDNS is worse.
  • edited February 2009
    <Offtopic>
    hmm... if one was to put one of the root nameservers as a dns server in the config, would everything still work normally?
    I only used opendns few times when isp dns servers were down and I had to call a friend to find me an ip of accessible dns server, so I'm not sure how well/badly they do their thing
    </Offtopic>
    Post edited by bugmenot on
  • edited February 2009
    @Rym and @Scott: You have a DNS server in the house, don't you? What kind of things did you say you did with it? Also, is it a whole separate box or part of something else?

@Bugmenot: Don't worry about going off topic round here. We might have use for an < Ontopic> tag sometimes.

Is there an equivalent to the & nbsp that doesn't leave a space?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • @Rym and @Scott: You have a DNS server in the house, don't you? What kind of things did you say you did with it? Also, is it a whole separate box or part of something else?
    There's a computer in the hallway that runs DHCP, DNS, and whatever else we want. Not only does it locally cache the ISP's DNS, but it also provides DNS for the local network. That allows us to connect to other computers in the house by name without knowing the IP.
    Is there an equivalent to the & nbsp that doesn't leave a space?
    nbsp is non-breaking space. What the heck are you talking about an equivalent that isn't a space?
  • edited February 2009
    So how did bugmenot manage to make an html tag and not have it picked out by the system?
    That's pretty neat with the DNS, just being able to VNC to "Totoro" instead of "192.168.1.52". Wonder if the Tomato router can do that.
    Edit: Seems the best it can manage is to reassign the same IP to a particular MAC address each time.
  • edited February 2009
    So how did bugmenot manage to make an html tag and not have it picked out by the system?
    Because bugmenot is smart, and knows about entities.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited February 2009
    </tangent>

<tangent>A WRT router can do the DNS forwarding using dnsmasq. GUI example here, guide for future reference.
  • Is there an equivalent to the & nbsp that doesn't leave a space?
    Wikipedia is a wonderful thing. A collection of so much knowledge. Anyways, you seek the zero width space. But as Scott already pointed out, there is no need for one such space. I've already told this before several times on this forum, just use &lt; and &gt; to get < and >.

• Try using opendns and see if there's an effect.
    An ISP that hijacks failed DNS queries is bad, OpenDNS is worse.
    I used my cell phone as a modem and tried accessing the url through sprints PCS network. I got a 404. So whatever it is, it must be something in Time Warner's system.
  • edited February 2009
    Negative. The link does not work for me and I have Time Warner.

[Edit]Correction, it doesn't work for me when I simply click the link, but does when I open it in a new tab. I'm pretty sure it must just be Firefox, dude.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • hm. Well, I'll just chalk it up to techno weirdness.
  • Odd, worked yesterday, doesn't today.