This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Energy: Underground Coal Gasification

edited February 2009 in Technology
UCG.
I'm posting this thread because I'm interested to know how much people know about it, and what their opinions are.

I actually know a fair bit about the topic myself, though there's no specifics I feel like mentioning right now.

Comments

• If you know about this, could you tell us whether "clean coal technology" is for real?
  • edited February 2009
    The problem with this is that most coal seams are near drinking water aquifers and other populated areas.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/coal/coal_trans/fig3.html

And while it wasn't from this process that caused the Centrailia, PA to get destroyed. I wonder how safely Gasification really is. Since the process isn't widely used we really haven't seen the full impact of it.
    Post edited by Alan on
  • edited February 2009
    For some quick (and relatively recent) information, look here.

@Alan
    In particular, this presentation is pretty good for a quick summary. Note that people are a lot better at the UCG process now than they were then, and yet in the US trials of the 70's and 80's, quoting the presentation, "only 2 of over 30 UCG trials resulted in environmental contamination." It is known what was done wrong in those trials. Even if you haven't learned basics of fluid dynamics, it's pretty simple - if the pressure within the UCG cavity is lower than the hydrostatic pressure around it, fluids (liquids / gases) will only flow into the cavity and not out. The Chinchilla demonstration is an example of a well-executed UCG process.

@HungryJoe
    I'll give you a detailed answer when I have the time.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on