This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Computer Sunglasses?

edited February 2009 in Technology
It seemed to me like a joke but no they are real. Gunnar Optiks
As far as I can tell they are new and I have no idea if they work at all (probably not) but I like the yellow tint and the descriptions in the store are funny. Catalyst Groove - Widescreen formatting for marathon sessions

Any thoughts?

Comments

• They may not do anything, but they do look badass.
  • My boss has a pair of those, they do help when reading, specially black text over white and the other way around, they are also supposed enhance contrast.
  • My eyes usually ache after a long day at the office so I would like to try them but $100 is the lowest they go for. Guess I could return them if they fail to work.
  • but they do look badass.
    Damnit, now what to say.
  • I'm going to remain skeptical until I read some reviews. You could just spend much less and make sure your computer area is well lit.
  • Aww, I thought from the thread title that they were sunglassess with a computer display in the lenses. This just sounds silly.

I want to see an experiment where people with identical vision both read the same amount of text on a computer screen (you would have to find people who read at about the same rate for this to really work). One is wearing the glasses, one is not. When they are done, measure the amount of eyestrain that each person has suffered after reading the text. The process would need to be repeated for several months to establish some kind of trend.

If the person who wore the glasses had significantly less eyestrain, it may be a worthwhile investment. However, if the difference is negligible or non-existent, then I can't see why you would want these.

Also, if they could be proved to work, I would want a version that attaches to existing glasses, because outside of safety goggles, two pairs of glasses just looks dumb.
  • Aww, I thought from the thread title that they were sunglassess with a computer display in the lenses.
    I thought the exact same thing, and then remembered how much the Eyetop Wearable DVD Player sucked and paniced

As for these glasses, to many 'if's' and 'how's' about them to pass any sort of judgement so I also will remain skeptical
  • This reminds me of this old paper I saw a long time ago. Basically, green text on yellow background makes for the fastest reading. Wearing yellowish glasses while looking at a screen that has mostly white backgrounds sort of makes sense. Of course, you could just modify the colors of your gui and also adjust your monitor settings. No reason to pay for glasses.

However, those glasses do look really good. Anyone know where I can get actual sunglasses in the exact same style?
  • I regularly get really bad migraines that I suspect are partly triggered by eyestrain. If these are proven to help, I'd probably be willing to fork out for a pair some day. Not much point in an artist wearing something that causes you to see incorrect colours though. :\
  • I like how the wording on the site makes sitting at your computer sound like some kind of strenuous exercise.