This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

RC Car Drifting

edited February 2009 in Everything Else
A new acquaintance of mine has asked me to join his new rc drift team after he saw me playing with his friend's rc car randomly one night. It was the first time I had picked up the remote for an RC drift car, but I think I drove it pretty okay. I realize that this is a costly hobby, with the most basic of 4WD rc cars costing around $100. My new acquaintance "offered" to build a car for me and has already began, but was rather unclear on how or if I would pay him back. Despite this, I am still interested in doing this.

Has anyone else on the forum here had more expensive rc cars as a hobby? I'd like to know more about what I'm getting into so I can decide if I really do want to get into it.

Comments

• The thing about this kind of hobby is that it's fun for just about anybody. I mean, if you give anyone control of an RC card, they will have a load of fun, for awhile. The majority of people will get bored of it relatively quickly. Very few people will actually stick with it. To really have fun with that kind of hobby in the long-term you have to really enjoy working on the cars themselves.
  • Well, I imagine that working on a car will have the same appeal that working on a computer does for me. Getting better parts, troubleshooting, making it run better with existing parts...that sort of thing.
  • Electric or liquid fuel? I've always been rather intrigued by the latter.
  • Electric; my understanding is that using a gas powered RC car to drift will burn out the clutch from the constant acceleration/deceleration and high revs.