This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

How do you play with broken electronics?

edited February 2009 in Everything Else
Ok. So everyone has broken electronics. In my case, I never throw them away. I just stuff them somewhere.
Right now I have a router that perpetually crashes and a GPS navigation device with a broken LCD screen.

What could I possibly do with these?

The firmware of the router doesn't allow me to use it as a access point to extend my existing wireless network.

I'm trying to do something with the GPS device which has a USB port. I'm trying to figure out how to analyze USB traffic.
I have to mention I have no frigging idea what I'm doing.

Anyway, where could I start?

Comments

• Well if you're feeling more primitive you could just smash and/or burn it. But I doubt you want to do that.
  • edited February 2009
    Give it to me! I want to play with it! I would love to dissemble it and see how it works, solder stuff, and completely ruin it!
    Post edited by Nine Boomer on
  • Get a Linux box for traffic analysis and chip programming, although you might not be able to do anything that heavy with some busted-up gear.

I usually solder off what I can and add everything I can to my salvage box. Usually electromechanical components, resistors, transistors, screens, interfaces (like that USB port), and sensors (TAKE that GPS module, those fuckers are expensive) can be salvaged. To save surface mount parts, use an electric skillet and some tweezers. Smaller passive stuff in HUGE quantities (like NPN transistors) can be soldering practice fodder.

Just tool around. Find a little project you can do (the Ruby Amp, if you play guitar), and try and build it from salvage.