This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Google Sync!!

edited February 2009 in Technology
http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/09/google-sync-debuts-for-iphone-windows-mobile-and-syncml-devices/!!!!

This is obviously my news for tonight. But it's so amazing, how can I not make a thread about it? I'm going to try it out right now. I'll post the verdict here soon.

Comments

• But you did Monday/Wednesday last week! You can't do a show until tomorrow! ^_~
  • Ok, so basically what Google did is they setup Exchange servers, or things that pretend to be Exchange servers. That way you can have your iPhone connect to your Google Mail, contacts, and Calendar while thinking that it's actually a Microsoft Exchange server. Basically it's the same as nuevasync, only trustworthy.

The problem is that the IPhone can only support one Exchange server at a time. Since I'm syncing with my work's Exchange server, I can't also sync with Google in the same way. Maybe I will switch it so I sync with work via IMAP, and with Google via the push/Exchange. If I lose my job, this won't be a problem either.

Before I do this, I have to put all my phone contacts into my Google contacts. Then I'll be all set.
  • WTF It doesn't sync mail, only calendar and contacts. So I still have to sync the mail via IMAP. That's really stupid. I know it's beta, but you might as well not even release it if the functionality is so minimal. They had better add push e-mail really soon if they want this to go anywhere. Otherwise, it's going to end up like Google Browser Sync.
  • Man, if they get mail going in there, I am SO down with this!
  • Dear god. This is the tipping point. Bye bye, Apple. I'm switching my laptop over to linux, and using Google Apps for everything.

Thanks for the tip.
  • Dear god. This is the tipping point. Bye bye, Apple. I'm switching my laptop over to linux, and using Google Apps for everything.

Thanks for the tip.
    What does that have to do with Google Sync? Google Sync is only for phones.
  • edited February 2009
    Well, one of the main reasons that I bought an iPhone was because I used Apple apps on my laptop (macbook pro). Now that things are getting slowly to the point where I will be able to sync my phone with linux / google, I'll be able to go leaner and cheaper.

Clarification: I currently use MobileMe, and it is both expensive and unsatisfactory. Now that I can do the whole phone - computer - web (cloud) sync without shitty workarounds, I don't need it.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • edited February 2009
    I'm having an issue where this will only sync back to a certain date. I haven't explored the upper limits of this, but a doctors appointment 2 months out won't sync to my blackberry.

EDIT: Nevermind, found the "options" and fixed that.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Check this out.

I'm already using IMAP to get my GMail on my iPhone. I'm using the Exchange to get my work e-mail. Work e-mail is down right now, and do I really need it pushed? I switched my work e-mail to IMAP, thus freeing the Exchange account to be used with Google Sync to get my Google Contacts and Calendar.

It doesn't work. I configured it exactly according to the instructions, but it keeps claiming that my password is incorrect. Way to go Google.
  • Scott, I had the same problem with the incorrect password. I looked it up and found that if you put in your username without the "@googlemail.com" part that it should work and that worked for me.
  • But he uses Google for domain.
  • But he uses Google for domain.
    Exactly.

Also, just an update. I tried again this morning, doing the exact same thing as before, and it worked. It's Google's fault.
  • This has been nothing but awesome for me. It just syncs my contacts and calendar every 2 hours automatically. I just realized my google contacts are a disaster though, autocomplete has spoiled me.
  • I just tried to access my contacts on gMail for domains, but it gives me a 403 error page.
  • Google Sync: Now with push Gmail support
    Finally Gmail pushed to Windows Mobile, Symbion 60 and iPhone.
    Still not a fan of the limited contact details so I'll leave that to Outlook but Calendar and Gmail push is online for me!