This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Small/scalable web hosting.

edited February 2009 in Everything Else
I've been using a package deal web hosting plan until recently which was giving me far more than I needed in terms of space and bandwidth and was wondering if there is some way to run a small website much more cheaply using something like Amazon S3?
I'm only looking at, at most, running a few blogs and maybe a forum but may want to scale if my projects take off. Any ideas?

Comments

• S3 only handles storage. So if your website is completely static, that will work. If your website is dynamic, meaning it uses PHP or something, then S3 is not going to work.

I think you can use Amazon EC2 to host dynamic things, but that's also not really the best idea.

If you want to write your web applications yourself in python with django, you can use the Google App Engine.

Other than that, if you just want a few blogs, use free blog services like typepad or wordpress.com or something. If you want a forum, there are people that can handle that also.

At the most, you can go find a cheap managed host like godaddy or whatever like that. If your deal is more than you need, just switch to a cheaper deal.
  • edited February 2009
    With what Scott said in mind, what does everyone else who runs a blog use?

It seems I'm stuck between:
    • Cheap web hosting with too much stuff that you have to pay for all up front.
    • Cheap monthly web hosting that then bites you for any features.
    • Expensive monthly hosting.
    What I'd like would be something that bundles in a few features for a lowish price.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Panic over. It seems Godaddy do a decent hosting plan for £3.40 a month and you can pay in three month installments.
  • So, what are you using to do your blog then? Did you just install Wordpress? I want to do a blog (I've tried many times but I've got a good plan to stay committed), and I want to try some things with simple ads sometime in the future, so I can't use anything free as far as I know. I was just wondering.
  • You might want to look into NearlyFreeSpeech.net. I've just created an account recently but their model is that you pay for the services you use, and starting prices are at about $1.00 per GB of bandwidth. The idea is certainly interesting, and you could probably get a better idea of it by rummaging through the FAQ instead of letting me mess up an explanation.