This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Ruckus is Dead

edited February 2009 in Technology
So the music-subscription service Ruckus is now officially dead.

As a college student I've used the service for quite a few months now, and was really pleased with it. For those who aren't familiar, Ruckus was a music solution created to cater to college students who were rampantly pirating music. The program partnered with a bunch of college/universities and allowed students to download Microsoft-DRM music but without any fees or limits on downloads. The service has gone down supposedly due to a few flaws, including the DRM which prevented tracks from being played on iPods in addition to being non-mac compatible.

I guess my question is what people think about a service like this, and if any viable and usable alternatives exist. Part of the awesomeness of Ruckus was that it was partnered with all of the huge record companies so it featured a lot of the major artists that invade the popular music conscience, in addition to having some of the more obscure stuff as well. Will we ever have an ideal internet-based music distribution platform?

Comments

• edited February 2009
    Yet again, piracy proves to be the way forward until DRM-Free tracks are widely available.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Will we ever have an ideal internet-based music distribution platform?
    We had one, it was called Napster. Then it died.
  • So the music industry couldn't even give DRMed music away? If that isn't incredibly damning of putting DRM on products I don't know what is, aside from things like the Gears of War fiasco
  • Just for the record, Faireuse4WM provides a simple way to strip the DRM off WMA-DRMed files. Even so, when my school signed up for Ruckus, I debated with myself whether I should sign up and use it. On one hand, I would be supporting the DRM-music industry by signing up (even if I did strip the DRM off as soon as I got them), but on the other hand, the service was "free" and it was trivial to get rid of the DRM. Eventually I convinced myself that I would be "sticking it to the man" invisibly by using fairuse, and that's exactly what I did for a year or so.

About the only reason I used Ruckus was because they had some obscure indie bands in their lineup (stuff I couldn't find torrents of). That being said, there were many problems with it, ranging from the slow music software, the Bonjour service (something related to the DRM, I'm sure), some mis-tagged tracks (One comment said something to the effect of "This is not the right album"), some single tracks missing from an otherwise complete album, etc.