This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Internet: Leveling The Playing Field

edited February 2009 in Everything Else
A few weeks ago, something insane happened. In less than 24 hours, an electronic indie duo from Florida named Blind Man's Colour went from complete obscurity to being the subject of a bidding war between record companies. How could this happen?

Simple. Kanye West found their Myspace page and wrote a blog post about them. Then, other music blogs began to follow and, before you know it, record companies were scrambling to sign them.

Yesterday Wavvves, the second album by noise punk artist Wavves, was released on digital distribution with the physical release due out in about a month. Regardless of what you think of his music or his intentionally low-quality sounding studio recordings, his story is pretty inspiring. He only started recording music early last year and, since then, he has gained pretty notable media attention including a mention on ABC News. The craziest part of it all is that he really didn't do anything to promote himself in the traditional sense; he didn't play shows, he didn't send his record to labels, or anything like that. He gained pretty much all his hype completely through word-of-mouth over the internet, which eventually lead to his record deal. And all this in less than a year. How crazy is that?

It's not just music, either. The same sort of effect is very apparent in indie games and comics too. We live in a time where a small development team with an idea like Counter Strike or Portal can be discovered and picked up by the likes of Valve. Where it used to be near impossible for independent artists, developers, and writers to reach the companies and the mainstream, it is now not only possible but very achievable. What a fantastic time to be alive!

[Edit] Yeah, sorry guys, not that much to discuss here. This is just my little "Fuck yeah, internet!" post.

Comments

• Indeed. The good thing about it is if you're smart/know what you're doing, you can give this a little nudge in your favor. I love the internet.
  • edited February 2009
    My friend Jessica in L.A. just started a band. Her girlfriend is friends with Mika Miko and blackblack, who are two really great bands that have come out of The Smell scene. They're working on an EP and hope to play some shows at The Smell. This is the most excited I've been about music in a long time, and it seems very likely based on all of the other lo-fi bands to come out of that area these past two years (No Age, Mika Miko, Wavves, etc.) that she'll have a very wide audience of interested internet people.
    This is just my little "Fuck yeah, internet!" post.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • edited February 2009
    I just remembered that Machinae Supremacy also gained their popularity through the internet too. They just made a blog post supporting The Pirate Bay in their trial today.

The internet is pretty great.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I just remembered that Machinae Supremacy also gained their popularity
    What popularity?
  • I just remembered that Machinae Supremacy also gained their popularity
    What popularity?
    Fanbase.
  • edited February 2009
    What fanbase? The only people I know who even know who MS is are people who play ITG, since MS has a few songs on ITG...
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • What fanbase? The only people I know who even know who MS is are people who play ITG, since MS has a few songs on ITG...
    Oh yeah, there's no one going to their concerts.

Don't be difficult.
  • What fanbase? The only people I know who even know who MS is are people who play ITG, since MS has a few songs on ITG...
    "The people you know" probably isn't an accurate measure of a Swedish metal band's popularity. The 76,971 listeners on Last.fm isn't an entirely accurate picture either, but judging by that number I think it's fair to say that MS has a fanbase.
    I counter your personal experience with my personal experience: I knew about Machinae Supremacy before ITG was even in the arcades.
    I counter your personal experience with my personal experience: I knew about Machinae SupremacybeforeITG was even in the arcades.
    Same.
  • Well, if you wanted to give an example of how the internet has boosted an artist to popularity, MS isn't really the best example you can pick.
  • Well, if you wanted to give an example of how the internet has boosted an artist to popularity, MS isn't really the best example you can pick.
    What exactly do you mean? Machinae Supremacy gained the majority of their popularity through word-of-mouth on the 'net. Their music averaged 100k downloads/month for a while. In The Groove helped, but MS was being downloaded for a solid 3 years before ITG even came along.
  • edited February 2009
    I didn't say that MS was a bad example. I'm just saying that I'm sure there are better examples. Then again, I can't name any examples cause I really don't know any artists who have gained popularity mainly through the internet.

Don't get me wrong. I was not trying to say that ITG made MS popular. I was just saying that I don't know anyone personally who heard of MS before ITG came out. Then again, I only know a handful of people out of the 6 billion on this planet, so that should obviously be taken with a grain of salt.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • edited February 2009
    MC Chris is a good example. From what I can tell most of his popularity was through the internet, along with his appearances on Adult Swim. Chris himself attributes much of his success to file sharing, if I remember correctly.
    Post edited by Walker on