This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

NPR Podcasts

GeoGeo
edited February 2009 in News
As you all know, NPR has over at least 60+ podcasts on iTunes that cover almost every single topic and NPR segment imaginable. For those of you who listen or want to get other people interested into these podcasts, which ones do you like and why?

Comments

• Intelligence Squared and It's All Politics.
  • GeoGeo
    edited February 2009
    Intelligence Squared and It's All Politics.
    Intelligence Squared yes, Politics no because I don't really care that much about politics. Unlike Scott however, I recognize that politics are important and that they are very interesting in certain instances. But you didn't explain why though, so could you please do so?

EDIT: The ones I listen to (on a semi-regular or regular basis depending on the podcast and the topic at hand) are the following: Talk of the Nation, Driveway Moments, Fresh Air, Hmmm....Krulwich on Science, Intelligence Squared, 7 PM ET News Summary, Most E-Mailed Stories, Movies, Present at the Creation, Science Friday, Story of the Day, and World Story of the Day. I listen to all the latter because I'm starting to get to the point where news is important to me and I want to have a variety, hence the multitude of podcasts.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I listen to This American Life and Radiolab (which is basically TAL, but with science).
  • Never bothered checking out NPR. All shows I remember hearing about before It's All Politics as Rym mentioned it a few times on the show.
  • Never bothered checking out NPR. All shows I remember hearing about before It's All Politics as Rym mentioned it a few times on the show.
    I highly reccomend you do so, because next to 60 Minutes, NPR is the only news service I trust to give me reliable and useful news.
  • NPR rocks the house! I listen to It's all Politics (the best politicial radio show ever), This American Life (The best storytelling show EVER PERIOD), Prairie Home companion (Best variety show.. because it's the only one left on radio). I also listen to The World, Marketplace, On the Media and any of the other shows whenever I get a chance. NPR is pretty much the only good thing left on radio and makes up a large chuck of the podcasts I listen to.
  • It's All Politics, Science Friday, and Foreign Dispatch. I would listen to more, but I lack the time to get through all my podcasts as it is.
  • next to 60 Minutes
    ...60 MINUTES?! Really? Do you also watch Matlock? :D
  • next to 60 Minutes
    ...60 MINUTES?!Really? Do you also watch Matlock? :D
    Not lately, I used to watch him sparingly back in the days when we had cable that didn't suck (by that I mean a lineup of channels that didn't suck ass).
  • It's All Politics
    Car Talk
    Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me....

My list changes as my interests change, but those three have always been on my list.
  • Every one of you should be listening to Radiolab.

And, to a slightly lesser extent, This American Life.
  • It's not NPR but PRI (then again, so is This American Life), but The Sound Of Young America is an excellent interview show.
  • I've had This America life for more than 2 years, as well as Radio Lab. Those are the only ones I've listened to constantly, although intelligence squared is also one I like. I've got nothing new to add, really.
  • I just listened to a few episodes of It's All Politics and it sounded suspiciously like a competition to see who could name "the last time that happened" and who could talk the fastest.

Every time I listened to This American Life and Radio Lab I enjoyed them both, but for some reason I never listened to them after a few episodes. They just sat there in iTunes for months, so I deleted them. There's something about radio production that uses lots of music and sound effects that make them really hard for me to relax while listening. What I like about podcasts is the "press record, talk, press stop, upload" kind of feel to them. Even if they are well edited, I like the main focus to be the content, not the delivery.
  • edited February 2009
    Every time I listened to This American Life and Radio Lab I enjoyed them both, but for some reason I never listened to them after a few episodes. They just sat there in iTunes for months, so I deleted them. There's something about radio production that uses lots of music and sound effects that make them really hard for me to relax while listening. What I like about podcasts is the "press record, talk, press stop, upload" kind of feel to them. Even if they are well edited, I like the main focus to be the content, not the delivery.
    I like the way Radio lab uses sound to their advantage. Although you can't make a weak story a great one by using sound effects, you can turn a good story into an entertaining piece of art. This American Life likes to play music in the background or between dramatic pauses to give it a bit more of an oomph behind it. It just wouldn't be the same without it; I think it would feel a bit more empty. You have to remember this is not just a podcast created for you, it's a radio show.
    Post edited by Nine Boomer on
  • While I love the content of This American Life, I find the host's voice so annoying that I can only stand to listen on the rarest of occasions.
  • Every time I listened to This American Life and Radio Lab I enjoyed them both, but for some reason I never listened to them after a few episodes. They just sat there in iTunes for months, so I deleted them. There's something about radio production that uses lots of music and sound effects that make them really hard for me to relax while listening. What I like about podcasts is the "press record, talk, press stop, upload" kind of feel to them. Even if they are well edited, I like the main focus to be the content, not the delivery.
    I like the way Radio lab uses sound to their advantage. Although you can't make a weak story a great one by using sound effects, you can turn a good story into an entertaining piece of art. This American Life likes to play music in the background or between dramatic pauses to give it a bit more of an oomph behind it. It just wouldn't be the same without it; I think it would feel a bit more empty. You have to remember this is not just a podcast created for you, it's a radio show.
    Sure. Which is why I don't listen.

The thing is I listen to a lot of podcasts, but never JUST listen to podcasts. I'm usually doing other things, and often I have music playing in the background. A podcast that also uses a lot of music clashes with my brain, and I lose concentration.
    While I love the content of This American Life, I find the host's voice so annoying that I can only stand to listen on the rarest of occasions.
    There is that too.

• Every time I listened to This American Life and Radio Lab I enjoyed them both, but for some reason I never listened to them after a few episodes. They just sat there in iTunes for months, so I deleted them. There's something about radio production that uses lots of music and sound effects that make them really hard for me to relax while listening. What I like about podcasts is the "press record, talk, press stop, upload" kind of feel to them. Even if they are well edited, I like the main focus to be the content, not the delivery.
    You have no soul.
  • The thing is I listen to a lot of podcasts, but never JUST listen to podcasts. I'm usually doing other things, and often I have music playing in the background. A podcast that also uses a lot of music clashes with my brain, and I lose concentration.
    I worked through the archives of Radio Lab while playing FFXII. If I hit a point where I really wanted to focus more on one I'd have to pause the other, but they seemed to be different enough sections of the brain that there wasn't really a conflict.
  • I listen to local affiliate WTMD's music podcasts, but I should probably pick up some more.
  • Wait Wait Don't Tell Me
    This American Life
    Radiolab
    Le Show
    Left, Right, and Center
    Studio 360
    Politics on Culture