This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090217 - SimSomething

edited February 2009 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we discuss Sim City, and all those other old Sim games. In the news the Pirate Bay is doing well in their court case, and someone in the European Parliament is incredibly stupid.

Scott's Thing - Tettix Teaches Reason
Rym's Thing - Custom Soul Calibur Characters

Comments

• Awww man, SC2 was MADE by the Gamecube controller. Even my PS2 friends agree. And Rym's right--It was ALL about the thumb rockin'.
  • Scott Ruben, spanking connoisseur.
  • How the fuck can you not know what PEGI is Rym?!! PEGI is the ESRB in Europe!!!
  • How the fuck can you not know what PEGI is Rym?!! PEGI is the ESRB in Europe!!!
    Well, He IS American...

Don't hurt me, I'm just kidding
  • I doubt most people in Europe know who the ESRB are. Few people in England even know what the BBFC stands for.
  • edited February 2009
    I doubt most people in Europe know who the ESRB are.
    Not sure about that, they're mentioned a lot more commonly on the internet.
    Few people in England even know what the BBFC stands for.
    I think quite a few people in Australia, and perhaps elsehwere, have heard about the OFLC though.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Bringing this back to the old Sim games I remember playing Sim City 2000 as a kid on the family computer, though it would have been about '97 when I did this so the game was already past its prime. Since Civilisation IV got brought up did either of you (or anyone on the boards) play Civs II?
  • Not sure about that, they're mentioned a lot more commonly on the internet.
    I meant, in more mainstream society.
  • edited February 2009
    Well, even mainstream media around the world do mention the ESRB reasonably often. Besides, considering the reason for the comment was Rym's not knowing what PEGI was, mainstream society is less relevant.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I live in Europe and did not know what the PEGI was, though I just took a DS game and saw that there in fact is a PEGI rating on it. ^^
    I guess the reason for me not knowing is that in Germany they use a whole different rating system, independent of the European one (USK).
  • I like PEGI, because they have a rating of 16+ which used to be as far as my dad would go in terms of age ratings. Meanwhile, ESRB is only Teen (13+) to Mature(17+). When I go to America, so many games are 17+ and they used to be prohibited by my dad. I'm glad I finally managed to make him realize I'm 16 and able to handle games like GTA.
  • I think you guys have the line for 'old' and not Internet aware a bit on the low side. I'm 42 and setup the networking in my house (multiple switches, etc). I played video games as a kid and still do a bit.
  • edited February 2009
    I think you guys have the line for 'old' and not Internet aware a bit on the low side. I'm 42 and setup the networking in my house (multiple switches, etc). I played video games as a kid and still do a bit.
    You didn't play video games as a kid like we did. The Atari 2600 came out in 1977. That means that at best, you have been playing since you were ten years old. Meanwhile, my mom was playing Super Breakout while I was in the womb. I came out joystick in hand.

You played video games as a teenager, not as a kid.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I think you guys have the line for 'old' and not Internet aware a bit on the low side. I'm 42 and setup the networking in my house (multiple switches, etc). I played video games as a kid and still do a bit.
    You didn't play video games as a kid like we did. The Atari 2600 came out in 1977. That means that at best, you have been playing since you were ten years old. Meanwhile, my mom was playing Super Breakout while I was in the womb. I came out joystick in hand.

I played them when I was 3 years old.

I'm pretty sure that wasn't his point...

I'm pretty sure that wasn't his point...
    I think he knows that. I bet he was just looking for a chance to brag about a minor part of his point.
  • I liked Theme Park. Building roller coasters was fun.
  • Hey scott, what's your Xbox live gamertag? Perhaps Rym could share his as well?
  • Perhaps Rym could share his as well?
    I have neither an Xbox nor a gamertag. ^_~
  • Hey scott, what's your Xbox live gamertag? Perhaps Rym could share his as well?
    I'll give you one guess as to my tag, but it's not very interesting. I have a GFW account, but I don't use it for anything.
  • Perhaps Rym could share his as well?
    I have neither an Xbox nor a gamertag. ^_~
    My bad, I toughed that you said you got one on the show.
  • No, they said the FRC got one, and they specifically said it wasn't Scrym that have it.
  • I liked Theme Park. Building roller coasters was fun.
    I agree. Running theme parks into the ground and designing death trap roller coasters was a crucial step between my youthful pastime of running cities into the ground and my current pastime of bankrupting solar/galactic empires.
  • I played them when I was 3 years old.
    I played them when I was 2 years old. I played some old game on windows 3.1/95 where you popped balloons, and I grew up playing Commander keen.
    Awww man, SC2 was MADE by the Gamecube controller. Even my PS2 friends agree. And Rym's right--It was ALL about the thumb rockin'.
    While the GC controller is pretty nice for SC2, Using an arcade stick Is still much better. I've beaten the game twice in the arcade with no continues but I always need continues to beat the game at home. I can usually beat my friends with a controller, but they suck anyway.

Funny anecdote- The first time I played/beat SC2 in the arcade I had a huge blister in the middle of the palm of my hand from playing so energetically.
  • I played some old game on windows 3.1/95 where you popped balloons, and I grew up playing Commander keen.
    It's kind of funny, because I never heard about Commander keen until Scrym talked about the id game pack on steam. I bought it and tried commander keen, and there was a very real sense of familiarity. I don't ever remember playing the game, but I know I have. I guess I grew up on it when I was very young, considering it came out maybe 1 year before I was born, but I find it freaky that I have a very real sense of familiarity, but it's locked in my brain. I must have played it when I was very young and was still developing my brain to allow myself to remember stuff.